European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-13-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
Sassriverrat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Euro and Regular Oil

What's everyone running for oil? I know BMW used to use Castrol but not use Pennzoil.

I was trying to figure out the difference between Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 or Castrol Edge.

I drive the car hard somedays (a lot of days) so I was considering going up to 5W-40 but I wasn't sure about the castrol vs pennzoil and more importantly, euro vs not i.e. Pennzoil Platinum Euro...

Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

The most important thing is that you run the proper specification which in the case of the s55 engine is Bmw LL-01 or LL-01FE spec. Grade/viscosity is pretty much irrelevant as any oil meeting the proper spec will perform as intended.

If you drive the car hard I would recommend sticking to the ll-01 spec over the fe version as it will have a higher hths and the fuel economy impact will be minimal to nonexistent.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
Sassriverrat
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
So I went with Mobil 1 Performance Euro Formula 0W-40!

Napa Gold Oil Filter
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Why? The M1 doesn't carry the BMW certification. Also oem filters are very inexpensive and likely much better quality than a generic Napa filter but to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

not the end of the world but you should use an oil with proper cert for the engine.

napa filter made by mann or mahle?
      02-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
Sassriverrat
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
To the best of my knowledge, Napa Gold filters are WIX.

As for the Mobil1- someone told me that this oil had the certification and didn't renew- anyone confirm this?
I always thought Mobil1 was supposed to be some of the better stuff
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassriverrat View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Napa Gold filters are WIX.

As for the Mobil1- someone told me that this oil had the certification and didn't renew- anyone confirm this?
I always thought Mobil1 was supposed to be some of the better stuff
M1 at one point was LL01 certified but hasn't been for several years. If you were looking for something inexpensive and readily available I would recommend Castrol 0w40 which is LL01 certified (along with virtually ever other German automotive brand) and probably the best all around euro oil.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

wix make good filters.

castrol edge is LL01. I've used castrol 0w-40 for many years. 'german/belgian' castrol for those who frequent bob's the oil guy forums.
      02-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep

I've been using Mobile 1 0w-40 because they sell it on the military base and it is certified to Porsche and Mercedes and prior BMW.
I would use the legit BMW oil but they charge 35 euro's per quart at the dealer, so that's a no go for me.

They don't offer the castrol edge on base. I've had no issues with the mobile 1
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
M1 at one point was LL01 certified but hasn't been for several years. If you were looking for something inexpensive and readily available I would recommend Castrol 0w40 which is LL01 certified (along with virtually ever other German automotive brand) and probably the best all around euro oil.
Castro’s 0w40 is by FAR not the best all around euro oil. If you have a look at the data sheet of Castrol professional edge titanium 0w40, the results are pretty abysmal. Low HTHS, low flash point, lower viscosity index, low viscosity during temperatures of 40 and 100 degrees Celsius compared to other much better oils like Amsoil, Shell Helix. Heck even Penrite Ten Tenths PAO and ester 0w40 has better specs than the Castrol 0w40 across all measurable values.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:29 PM   #11
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
Castro’s 0w40 is by FAR not the best all around euro oil. If you have a look at the data sheet of Castrol professional edge titanium 0w40, the results are pretty abysmal. Low HTHS, low flash point, lower viscosity index, low viscosity during temperatures of 40 and 100 degrees Celsius compared to other much better oils like Amsoil, Shell Helix. Heck even Penrite Ten Tenths PAO and ester 0w40 has better specs than the Castrol 0w40 across all measurable values.
I think you are mistaken and getting too wrapped up with the data sheet. Its HTHS I believe is around 3.7 which is above the 3.5 required for LL-01 spec. It meets the specs of every major German car manufacturer, each with their unique requirements. Not to mention the hundreds of oil analysis postings on sites like bob is the oil guy showing this oil doing a fantastic job. Those are the specs that really matter, what the oil tests show after thousands of miles of use.

Also, by best I simply meant the combination of OEM approvals, price, and general availability. Spec sheets are simply that. The manufacturer approvals dictate the important stuff so as long as an oil is approved for the vehicle you use it in then it should perform as intended.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #12
Sassriverrat
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
I think you are mistaken and getting too wrapped up with the data sheet. Its HTHS I believe is around 3.7 which is above the 3.5 required for LL-01 spec. It meets the specs of every major German car manufacturer, each with their unique requirements. Not to mention the hundreds of oil analysis postings on sites like bob is the oil guy showing this oil doing a fantastic job. Those are the specs that really matter, what the oil tests show after thousands of miles of use.

Also, by best I simply meant the combination of OEM approvals, price, and general availability. Spec sheets are simply that. The manufacturer approvals dictate the important stuff so as long as an oil is approved for the vehicle you use it in then it should perform as intended.
Well- I've now been enjoying the Mobil 1 euro spec 0W40! Now I need to find a cheap source for those aluminum plugs!
Appreciate 0