Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-08-2015, 04:22 PM   #23
FUTURE
Professional Asshole
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F82 M4

I didn't want it but then when I did get them, well im glad i got them. Amazing and worth the $$
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #24
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING View Post
It doesnt rain in Los Angeles
Hahahaha, BURN!
      06-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #25
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I drove a car with CCB and decided against them. I actually prefer the feel of the steel brakes, I feel they give more feedback and are easier to modulate. I discussed this at length with some professional race driver friends of mine and they talked me out of the CCBs.

If you are in a situation where the brakes will overheat there is a definite advantage to the CCBs but in normal driving, even spirited driving, I did not see an advantage to the CCBs. Unless you are on a track and constantly threshold braking heat should not be a problem with the steel brakes.

I would certainly go for CCBs on a race car but on a road car like an M3/4 I don't feel they are necessary.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #26
bradleyjb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
My only regret about the car is not getting it. Love the looks (especially with my AY), and plan on going to the track. I like to experiment and try different things too but was held back by the price (wish I hadn't). I also fell into the rotor replacement myth, but recently read something from BMW that said they should last 90k miles in normal use or 2400 miles on a track. Both plenty enough for a 3 year lease ... That being said, it's still an amazing car with the steel brakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #27
JTmarlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Thanks for everyone input, learned some valuable things.

- They will squeal when cold.
- Might not be covered by maintenance plan?

Sounds like i need to drive an M with CCB to decide, and then confirm the maintenance. But, i'd only put 10k miles a year on car, so might be irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #28
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyjb View Post
My only regret about the car is not getting it. Love the looks (especially with my AY), and plan on going to the track. I like to experiment and try different things too but was held back by the price (wish I hadn't). I also fell into the rotor replacement myth, but recently read something from BMW that said they should last 90k miles in normal use or 2400 miles on a track. Both plenty enough for a 3 year lease ... That being said, it's still an amazing car with the steel brakes.
2400 miles of track use would be good for 20 days of my use or new rotors every year or more
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #29
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I was referring to track use not normal/commuter use

Check the Porsche GT3 forums. That's the place to look for a longer history of CCB track users. There are definitely owners replacing the CCB with steel rotors to keep cost down for their tracked GT3

Not sure many track an M5 or M6 so that's not a great place to look, in my opinion

I'm not trying to justify anything, just want to make sure OP is fully aware of the potential cost if he tracks his car heavily

You can get CCB's and love your life or not get them and be a part of the group who always looks for an excuse to bash on the guy who made his own decision with his own money to get a $8k option
      06-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #30
Matt_B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
You can get CCB's and love your life or not get them and be a part of the group who always looks for an excuse to bash on the guy who made his own decision with his own money to get a $8k option
No one is bashing you, you don't need to get defensive. Just because some of us think they're not worth the money doesn't mean we're attacking you. No one cares what you do with your money.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #31
04RC51
Large Member
Rep

The "I hate them but never tried them and heard this and heard that and heard they only last one track day and heard BMW won't replace them and heard they cost $25k per corner to replace" people are some of the most annoying, bitter people on the face of the Earth!

Can you believe that every GTS is going to be delivered with them and they are going to be jammed down the throat of every hardcore track enthusiast and they will be forced to pay all that money for horrible brakes that aren't any better than steels and they will all have to give up their first born children to place them after just one track day? Can u believe BMW is doing that to the future GTS owners? The same people in this thread are the same ones that will be saying "I could've spend $40k in mods and made a better car than the GTS, you all wasted your money!".
      06-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #32
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_B View Post
No one is bashing you, you don't need to get defensive. Just because some of us think they're not worth the money doesn't mean we're attacking you. No one cares what you do with your money.
So if you dont care about what we do with our 8k on brakes, you shouldnt need to keep pressing the fact that you dont think its worth it...

i dont think its worth to buy a mazda... i dont go on their forums arguing that i dont thnk its worth for them to buy it...

pick a thread you can relate to and make comments accordingly
      06-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #33
j997tt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M DGM/SO

A lot is passion on both sides about MCCB on this board. I listened, drove cars with both types of systems and bought MCCB. I had PCCB on a Porsche some years ago and it was a good experience. Not much track time though. I like my MCCB a lot. Easy to modulate, powerful when you get heat into them. Like the small weight savings. Like the absence of dust!

What I don't like is the stone damage on the fronts - stones getting caught in between the caliper and wheel barrel. It is well documented here. I have some damage on both my front wheels and it does not look like BMW is interested in dealing with it. I don't want bigger rims so I am stuck with this. If you have MCCB and 19 OE wheels chances are you will experience wheel damage at some point. That's the only downside that I can see aside from the price of entry.
      06-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #34
Matt_B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
So if you dont care about what we do with our 8k on brakes, you shouldnt need to keep pressing the fact that you dont think its worth it...

i dont think its worth to buy a mazda... i dont go on their forums arguing that i dont thnk its worth for them to buy it...

pick a thread you can relate to and make comments accordingly
But OP was asking for our opinions? Are only the opinions of those who bought them welcome? That seems silly. Like asking DCT drivers which transmission they prefer.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #35
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_B View Post
But OP was asking for our opinions? Are only the opinions of those who bought them welcome? That seems silly. Like asking DCT drivers which transmission they prefer.
Exactly.. hes asking for opinions... Who better to have an opinion than the person who actually OWNS the part that is being asked about lol
      06-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #36
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

CCB rotors are specifically excluded from any BMW mantainence plan. Has any M5/6 owners cracked these rotors yet?

Also I've heard that they are really bad for the first stop if they get soaked like after a car wash.

Haven't used them my self though.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #37
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RC51 View Post
The "I hate them but never tried them and heard this and heard that and heard they only last one track day and heard BMW won't replace them and heard they cost $25k per corner to replace" people are some of the most annoying, bitter people on the face of the Earth!

Can you believe that every GTS is going to be delivered with them and they are going to be jammed down the throat of every hardcore track enthusiast and they will be forced to pay all that money for horrible brakes that aren't any better than steels and they will all have to give up their first born children to place them after just one track day? Can u believe BMW is doing that to the future GTS owners? The same people in this thread are the same ones that will be saying "I could've spend $40k in mods and made a better car than the GTS, you all wasted your money!".
The GTS is positioned as a track car and the CCBs are a logical fit. There are a lot of things that are good on track cars that may not be necessary, appropriate or even desirable on a road car - a roll cage, racing seats and a five point harness, large rear wings and soft compound slicks for example. I don't think anyone is claiming that Carbon Ceramic Brakes are not superior in many ways, the question is are they necessary on a street car. In my experience Carbon Ceramic Brakes need to be hot to really perform well and feel good. Certainly on a track car they will be hot and will have a significant advantage over steel brakes. On a road car they will go for long periods without heavy use - cruising on an interstate for example - and will be cold a great deal of the time.

The best advise I can give the OP is to try to test drive a car with CCBs and come to his own conclusions. That is exactly what I did and I concluded that for my use of the car they were not necessary. Theoretically the lower unsprung weight will be somewhat of an advantage although you would probably have to be pushing the car very hard to feel it.

I don't have data to back this up but I would guess for the first 8 to 10 applications of threshold braking (in a relatively short time period as would be the case at a track) the tires will be the limiting factor as both steel and carbon brakes should have enough clamping power for the ABS to kick in. After the brakes get very hot the steel brakes will start to fade and will eventually have trouble stopping the car.

I personally believe in purpose built cars that are built either for the road or for the track. A car that tries to fill both roles will have compromises.

On another note if I wanted CCBs I would not let the fact that they are not covered by maintenance dissuade me as I seriously doubt that it will be an issue as the CCBs appear to be very rugged.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 06-08-2015 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #38
04RC51
Large Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia View Post
Haven't used them my self though.
We gathered that from your "I've heard" post.
      06-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #39
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Relax bud, I'm not bashing anyone. I'm just offering up another point of view.

Like all wear items CCB rotors have a service life and bradleyjb mentioned 2400 miles on the track as an example

I'll say it outright, and maybe you will feel less defensive... I opted out of the CCB option for cost reasons, specifically the cost of replacing the CCB rotors each year

Props to you if you can pay the cost of a set of CCBs each year.

EDIT: Or if you don't plan to go to the track that much and got them for a fashion statement, that's cool too, I guess... ( j/k)

Last edited by nicknaz; 06-08-2015 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #40
Tempe Mendoan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92-M3 / 458 / F82

If money is not an issue, go for the CCB (even for the DD). This thing is superb. BMW spend a lot of money on R&D before they release it. I trust on BMW than "I've heard people". I drive and I love it so much.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #41
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe Mendoan View Post
If money is not an issue, go for the CCB (even for the DD). This thing is superb. BMW spend a lot of money on R&D before they release it. I trust on BMW than "I've heard people". I drive and I love it so much.
In what way do you find them superior? Stopping power? Resistance to fade? Superior performance when wet? Feel?

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:11 AM   #42
Tempe Mendoan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92-M3 / 458 / F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe Mendoan View Post
In what way do you find them superior? Stopping power? Resistance to fade? Superior performance when wet? Feel?
Everything. I use it for almost every day. Go to track once a month. I live in Jakarta, a humid and rainy city, haven't found any issues when rain.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #43
abuimad
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2015 Austin Yellow BMW M4

to the people that complain about paying 8000USD for looks, how much do HRE wheels cost? or CF lip, side skirts, diffuser and spoiler from a reputable manufacturer cost?

if you can afford it, do it, whether it's a daily driver or a track car, I love mine, I love the lack of brake dust, the stopping power and yes, the look of them
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #44
2strokeMe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
CCBs also have no brake dust. But $8K to eliminate brake dust is messed up.
If I had known that I'd have ordered them. The non CBBs are dog shit as soon as you wick it up.
SS/black | Black 19s | 4 doors | 3 peddles | Zero driver assist crap | Lights and beats | Every M perf carbon piece I could have installed at the port | M perf exhaust | Electronic M wheel | JB4 | KW V3s
Appreciate 0