EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

11-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
washm3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

BMW Dealer Shadiness - Turbo Leak "Disappeared" Mystery

Hey guys,

Just wanted to mention here something odd that happened last week at the dealership when I had my car in. At the moment, I won't be giving out the name of the dealership unless it comes to the point where this can't be handled. My warranty expires next month December, so I am hoping to have this resolved by then. I'm unsure to pursue this matter legally, as since my warranty expires, I may be forced to pay the below repairs out of pocket.

Love some opinion and thoughts as to how this should be handled. I'll do my best to break down the sequence of events.

Saturday, I was having my exhaust swapped to stock from the car also while having the car looked over as my warranty expires end of December. On inspection, my friend noticed some leaks coming from the turbo area (see pic below). Immediately, I called my service advisor and made an appointment to have the leaks inspected and repaired, and I bring the car in first thing Monday.

Monday I drop off the car, I grab my loaner, get home and think nothing of it. I let my SA know about the leaks, he wrote up the order, and I was off on my way. At the time, I didn't think much of it, and I didn't bother to show them the picture as proof since I seemed to have had good experiences the last time I visited this dealer (i'll explain why this detail is important ).

Tuesday morning, I receive a text from my SA that there were no leaks found on the car. I respond with the picture above, which at this point I wish I had showed him before as there would've been no question as to where there may have been a leak or not. He responds saying that he will check with the foreman/techs, I'm thinking at this point, no one is aware that I had proof of the leak or that I personally saw it for myself.

Fast forward to thursday, I get a call back mentioning still, there were no found leaks under the car or even by the turbos. And here is the pic I receive back of my turbos that apparently have been cleaned or wiped, of which he then asks me if I had cleaned the oil leak location before I brought the car in??

Which makes no sense, since if we had cleaned it, I would've had a hard time showing proof of the leak for repair. At this point, I pretty much get pretty frustrated and tell my SA that there's no posssible way I could've cleaned it or anyone else could have touched it in the duration the car was at the dealership, unless someone at the dealership did it. We go back and forth and he sticks to his story that none of the techs cleaned it nor did the shop foreman, and that there would be no reason for them to clean the oil leak/or even wanted it cleaned since they are losing money on a warranty claim/repair of which the dealership is reimbursed directly from BMW.

He gives me his "story" that at this point, under his "knowledge" there were no leaks and no one has cleaned it. He advises I pick up the car, put on a few hundred miles and have the car rechecked, with the service advisor and shop foreman present in person under the car that way there's no chance of he said/she said mishap.

I've since driven the car almost 800 miles, hoping the leak will show and awaiting my appointment for next week. In the mean time, i was trying to still figure out who could've possibly wanted to clean it, and why?! and further steps I can do to protect myself in the event there is some type of fraud/weird occurrence going on at that dealership. I'm concerned now that in keeping the car past warranty, the leaks will cost me in the future, something that should have been covered.

If anyone has any recommended courses of action to take, please advise!!!

Last edited by washm3; 11-21-2018 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
washm3
Private
United_States
Rep

I also spoke with my friend who is a technician at a toyota dealership who might've had a theory as to why it may have been cleaned:

Techs are paid by "job" and the hours are predetermined, so say a turbo swap book time is about 10 hours, they are paid based on the book time, not on the actual time itself of the repair. So techs are essentially incentivized to finish their jobs quicker.
We are thinking that due to the complexity of the repair, needing to unbolt turbos etc. there was no cheating the book time and the tech felt it wasn't worth his time to start the repair, and so he cleaned it. Thus leaving the shop foreman and service advisor in the middle- at this point I am thinking the service advisor was unaware of this, or perhaps not fully aware before this happened.

Does anyone believe this could've been a likely possibility?
Appreciate 2
Lee808230.50
      11-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

This exact situation happened to me right before my warranty ended. It's blow by which, depending on how excess it is, can be normal for these cars. I had BMW NA step in after one of the dealers local to me wouldn't acknowledge it. They ended up pressure testing it and replaced a seal on the intake. Seems like a bandaid fix for something that is normal.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1545217
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
washm3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0wr View Post
This exact situation happened to me right before my warranty ended. It's blow by which, depending on how excess it is, can be normal for these cars. I had BMW NA step in after one of the dealers local to me wouldn't acknowledge it. They ended up pressure testing it and replaced a seal on the intake. Seems like a bandaid fix for something that is normal.

Seems like a lot in my case to be blow back. And in a very specialized area. Which turbo did you see oil? Front? Or rear
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Did the repair shop, who was working on the exhaust, wipe the area clean?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by washm3 View Post
Quote:

Seems like a lot in my case to be blow back. And in a very specialized area. Which turbo did you see oil? Front? Or rear
I would assume it's just excessive blow by and nothing crazy. I've spoken to other forum members about it and most have seen it on their car. Tom at EAS seems to believe it's not normal and I'm sure he's seen his fair share of Ms so I'm not sure what to think of it.

In regards to whether it's the back or the front turbo, I'm not 100 percent sure. The perspective my images are from are from the passenger side, underneath the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #7
washm3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
Did the repair shop, who was working on the exhaust, wipe the area clean?
No, absolutely not. they were aware I should bring it to the shop as is.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
washm3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would assume it's just excessive blow by and nothing crazy. I've spoken to other forum members about it and most have seen it on their car. Tom at EAS seems to believe it's not normal and I'm sure he's seen his fair share of Ms so I'm not sure what to think of it.

In regards to whether it's the back or the front turbo, I'm not 100 percent sure. The perspective my images are from are from the passenger side, underneath the front of the car.
Think you’re referring to the front turbo, of which mine is the same. I spoke with another local shop and they too mentioned it might be blowback, which is common on the front turbos.

I feel a little more at ease now. Not sure to have dealer look into it or not then.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #9
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

You have documented proof that the dealer looked at it along with your photographic evidence. IMO you have a good chance of receiving a "goodwill" repair if a problem develops on that specific turbo.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #10
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Think you're referring to the front turbo, of which mine is the same. I spoke with another local shop and they too mentioned it might be blowback, which is common on the front turbos.

I feel a little more at ease now. Not sure to have dealer look into it or not then.
I would have the dealer check the turbos for leaks. Supposedly mine had a leak. Not sure if it'll fix the blow by issue or if the excess was caused by the leak.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #11
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep

washm3 Any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
TTGator
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Dinan S3

I had the same thing (looked like your picture) and the dealership also replaced a seal on mine under warranty. I'd be PISSED if they cleaned it like they did to yours and said nothing was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #13
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

To be fair, if I was trying to detect a leak, I would clean the hell out of it first. Oil drips, pools, and runs everywhere. If you clean it and see more oil, there’s your leak.

I suspect the tech cleaned the area, didn’t find an actual leak, and there was just a lack of effective communication between them and the SA.
      02-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #14
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Quote:
I also spoke with my friend who is a technician at a toyota dealership who might've had a theory as to why it may have been cleaned:

Techs are paid by "job" and the hours are predetermined, so say a turbo swap book time is about 10 hours, they are paid based on the book time, not on the actual time itself of the repair. So techs are essentially incentivized to finish their jobs quicker.
We are thinking that due to the complexity of the repair, needing to unbolt turbos etc. there was no cheating the book time and the tech felt it wasn't worth his time to start the repair, and so he cleaned it. Thus leaving the shop foreman and service advisor in the middle- at this point I am thinking the service advisor was unaware of this, or perhaps not fully aware before this happened.

Does anyone believe this could've been a likely possibility?
Hey, BMW Dealership Technician here,
This happens all the time. Usually by either unmotivated technicians, or ones that don't have experience doing these repairs (regardless what the repair is). When the N54's were still under warranty, I swapped one out, and hated every minute of it. Eventually, got it down to a science, and would throw turbos on anything that came in the door.
What I would do, find a different dealership. Talk to the service advisor, request a tech who enjoys doing turbos, take your loaner and wait 3 days...boom. Oil leak gone.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #15
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

FYI when diagnosing an oil leak, you generally clean all of the oil off then look for the leak. It's possible that they cleaned the oil and the leak never returned.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #16
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
FYI when diagnosing an oil leak, you generally clean all of the oil off then look for the leak. It's possible that they cleaned the oil and the leak never returned.
This. But also, don't deny that you've cleaned it lol
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #17
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

To the OP do u have a catch can?

I have a theory......I recently checked under my car for leaks because my warranty expires soon. I noticed some residue on the front turbo but it is dry.

About 5k miles ago I notice my front charge pipe was a bit damp with water and/or oil. I installed a catch can. Checked charge pipe and it is now mostly dry.

My engine does not consume enough oil for the system to notice. I have gone as far as 10k between changes and it always show full. I perform all maintainance since 1200 miles and I use 7.2 quarts at fill up.
Appreciate 0