EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
K81M3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Topping up Oil - before Min Warning Sign?

So I have a F80 M3 CP '18 plate with 4500 miles. Run in was done at 1240 miles 7months ago, I do an oil check approx. every month and its been showing on max. Did the iDrive oil level check this morning and its showing 3/4 from the max line, given that min-max bar represents 1ltr - that would imply I've used 250ml from max line. (Subject to fully relying on these electronic readings)

- So do I top up ~200ml
- Wait to see if it drops to the half way mark and then top up ~500ml
- Or wait for the Min Warning to pop up and top up 1ltr

What do you guys do in general out the above to maintain correct levels and how many of you actually require top ups between servicing intervals. I ran my car in properly, didn't completely baby it, always warm up at least 10-15mins before driving it properly and never give it the beans 5-10mins before I know I'll be switching it off.

Thoughts please? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

It's not an exact science so whether you choose to top off or not, nobody can tell you factually what to do.

IIRC the BMW manual states you should check oil after driving it ~30 minutes on level ground. If I were in your shoes, I'd just top it off and keep on eye on the level based on a steady schedule as your car continues to pile on miles of smiles.

The more urgent issue is the charge cooler level.
      02-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
K81M3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thanks - Charge cooler level you say? Is that a manual check or another not so clever sensor?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #4
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Funny I'm reading this while on a call parked in a wegmans parking lot. Car is at operating temp.

I just tried to measure it and the car won't go past 30% measuring before exiting out. I.e. I can't measure my oil right now. Maybe I'm on a 2 degree tilt....
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

OP there is absolutely no reason for you to add any oil. The electronic dipstick works the same way as a physical dipstick. You want the oil level to be above the minimum indicator but below the maximum indicator. So in your example, the oil level is exactly where it needs to be.

There is no need to add any oil until the level falls below the minimum line and the warning lights up letting you know the car is low on oil. If that were to happen, I suggest adding 0.5L and re-checking as the electronic dipstick is know to be a little imprecise and adding a full liter may put you over the max.
Appreciate 1
Remonster824.00
      02-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
My understanding is that when the oil registers at the low mark and the warning light comes on, you're about 1 liter low. When I had older cars with a dipstick, I'd top them up with 1/2 quart when it got to the halfway mark.

On older generation cars with dipsticks, a common term for the light that would go on when you needed to top up your oil was "idiot light" because you were an idiot for not checking your oil regularly and waiting until the light came on. Why not top it up to the optimal level when it's only halfway down?

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #7
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
My understanding is that when the oil registers at the low mark and the warning light comes on, you're about 1 liter low. When I had older cars with a dipstick, I'd top them up with 1/2 quart when it got to the halfway mark.

On older generation cars with dipsticks, a common term for the light that would go on when you needed to top up your oil was "idiot light" because you were an idiot for not checking your oil regularly and waiting until the light came on. Why not top it up to the optimal level when it's only halfway down?
Because the maximum line is not the "optimal" level. Optimal is less than max and more than min. So if the oil level is somewhere in that range there is absolutely no need to add oil. You certainly wont do any harm by adding oil if it is below the max level, it is just unnecessary and you run the risk of adding too much oil if you are heavy handed.

Last edited by gatorfast; 02-13-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 3
JamesGames1326.00
arashir164.00
Remonster824.00
      02-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Because the maximum line is not the "optimal" level. Optimal is less than max and more than min. So if the oil level is somewhere in that range there is absolutely no need to add oil. You certainly won do any harm by adding oil if it is below the max level, it is just unnecessary and you run the risk of adding too much oil if you are heavy handed.
+1 I'd rather be slightly under filled than over filled as well.
Appreciate 2
arashir164.00
Remonster824.00