ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

02-19-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Latest ECU and TCU updates?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know where to get the latest ECU and TCU (DCT) firmware updates? I currently have a 2016 F80 M3, still under warranty and wanting to get those updates done. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

I just asked my dealer to do a software update on a service and linked it to the DCT being a bit rough...

They happily obliged.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley74 View Post
I just asked my dealer to do a software update on a service and linked it to the DCT being a bit rough...

They happily obliged.
Oh cool.

Does the GTS DCT flash make the software for the transmission update to the latest version?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Can't answer specifically but when the dealer does a software update it updates everything. You can't ask for them to load the GTS DCT as part of it because it's not factory software for your car.

In saying, when Alex last logged on for me to do some loading he updated my GTS DCT load to the latest version compared to 12 months prior.

Don't forget if you get a dealer update it will overwrite everything back to factory for your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley74 View Post
Can't answer specifically but when the dealer does a software update it updates everything. You can't ask for them to load the GTS DCT as part of it because it's not factory software for your car.

In saying, when Alex last logged on for me to do some loading he updated my GTS DCT load to the latest version compared to 12 months prior.

Don't forget if you get a dealer update it will overwrite everything back to factory for your car.
Ok awesome thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

I had a new transmission due to some early synchro wear and they performed a full software update (also a 2016) - night and day improvement in drive ability because of throttle improvements, steering weights, damper control in sport+ and traction control not being an on/off switch any more 😊

You can check your version of iStep by opening up the Vehicle settings on idrive, going to profile, doing an export to a USB key and then opening up the text file inside the folder on the key in notepad (or similar) on a computer. The version is very near the top.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
I had a new transmission due to some early synchro wear and they performed a full software update (also a 2016) - night and day improvement in drive ability because of throttle improvements, steering weights, damper control in sport+ and traction control not being an on/off switch any more 😊

You can check your version of iStep by opening up the Vehicle settings on idrive, going to profile, doing an export to a USB key and then opening up the text file inside the folder on the key in notepad (or similar) on a computer. The version is very near the top.
Oh wow! how did you get them to replace your transmission? Just complain?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #8
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
Quote:

Oh wow! how did you get them to replace your transmission? Just complain?
No, it was making a "thwack" noise going from 2nd - 3rd or into neutral when on the move. Sounded a bit odd so took it in. They opened a PUMA case and no questions asked - here's a hire car whilst we order one in. They don't open these things to rebuild them - just a swap out.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #9
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Get the Thor app, you can do cs/gts coding for trans, steering, diff, mdm yourself
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:05 PM   #10
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
Get the Thor app, you can do cs/gts coding for trans, steering, diff, mdm yourself
But I don't think Thor updates the entire car's software to latest version like ECU, TCU, Drivetrain, body, chassis, sensors, etc etc etc
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #11
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No, it was making a "thwack" noise going from 2nd - 3rd or into neutral when on the move. Sounded a bit odd so took it in. They opened a PUMA case and no questions asked - here's a hire car whilst we order one in. They don't open these things to rebuild them - just a swap out.
Damn that's pretty fantastic service. I wish most BMW dealers are like that...
Appreciate 1
mfurse182.00
      05-20-2020, 09:05 AM   #12
dhruva
Rep
Drives: M4,Audi B8.5 S5,Tesla S P100DL

Quote:
But I don't think Thor updates the entire car's software to latest version like ECU, TCU, Drivetrain, body, chassis, sensors, etc etc etc
I am running a Stage 2 tune (BM3) and have done the EPAS, DCT, TCM, and Diff tune with the Thor Flasher on my non ZCP car. My service tech told me that there is an update. Anyone have any idea if I am better off doing the new update and then reflashing the car and then retuning? Would I just be overwriting the update when I tune it again, negating any updates? Anyone know if the Thor and BM3 tunes are modified versions of the latest BMW software or do they use an older version? Appreciate any help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #13
rokkuchan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

I did the whole car update myself. Almost bricked the car but manage to fix it.

Most noticeable difference is the dsc, and dme. I had 2015 software. It's a lot more tame for dme. Felt detuned - but I have since put Bm3 on.

For dsc was a huge improvement imo. It lets it rip for a second(s) before kicking in. Previously it constantly kick in which gets annoying.
Appreciate 1
dhruva19.50
      05-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #14
rokkuchan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruva View Post
Quote:
I am running a Stage 2 tune (BM3) and have done the EPAS, DCT, TCM, and Diff tune with the Thor Flasher on my non ZCP car. My service tech told me that there is an update. Anyone have any idea if I am better off doing the new update and then reflashing the car and then retuning? Would I just be overwriting the update when I tune it again, negating any updates? Anyone know if the Thor and BM3 tunes are modified versions of the latest BMW software or do they use an older version? Appreciate any help in advance.
Update software and then use Bm3 will overwrite your updates.

If u have Bm3 applied then Bm3 would have taken a copy of your rom version. You will need to get Bm3 to reset your account so it copy's your new version of your rom and reapply the mappings/ parameters.
Appreciate 1
dhruva19.50
      05-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #15
dhruva
Rep
Drives: M4,Audi B8.5 S5,Tesla S P100DL

Got it. I appreciate the help. I was notified by my tech that some new BMW updates will cause the cars DME to not be unlocked simply with BM3 like before. It requires removing the DME because they have not cracked the new software. Is this true? Btw this is not at a dealer, this is a professional bmw only shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:03 PM   #16
rokkuchan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruva View Post
Got it. I appreciate the help. I was notified by my tech that some new BMW updates will cause the cars DME to not be unlocked simply with BM3 like before. It requires removing the DME because they have not cracked the new software. Is this true? Btw this is not at a dealer, this is a professional bmw only shop.
What year do u have?

Only latest cars 2020 will require dme removal I believe.

I updated latest software, reset Bm3 account, Bm3 reapply and unlocked dme no problem.
Appreciate 1
dhruva19.50