BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

F80 at Shenandoah?

Hi Track junkies! I'm planning out my hpde's for the year and want some input.

I'm considering Summit Point Shenandoah for my first time this year as a particular event simply works with my schedule. In doing research I find a bit of information stating that
"Smaller and lighter cars tend to find Shenandoah more enjoyable than larger and heavier cars"
I'm looking for some input on the relevance of that statement as it relates to the F80/82's. I know the F8x is not a small nor a light car, but that's all relative right. I mean, not much is small or light compared to a miata - but the F8x is no Challenger, E63 or F10 M5.

My alternative is NJMP Thunderbolt, which I've run a few times and have enjoyed thus far.

Any reason I shouldn't do Summit Point over NJMP (T)?

Thanks!

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

I've done Shenandoah in a B7 RS 4 which, while dimensionally smaller than the F8x, weighs 300+ lb more and is noticeably more front-heavy. I didn't find it significantly less enjoyable than when I ran it in my TT or TT RS. Just go in realizing it's very busy and you won't get many places where you'll really be able to stretch this car's legs out. Also, there is virtually no runoff in many places.
RowanBuds1707.00
      02-22-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

I enjoyed Shenandoah in my E90, even though on the second day it was raining buckets, so driving over the ski jump became interesting, to say the least.

I would go there again in a heartbeat, but it is a bit far for me.

The track is certainly twisty and bumpy enough that you're not going to mistake it for Watkins Glen; if you have some Autocross background or are an intermediate or above HPDE driver, you'll have a ball! Plus, which other track has a replica of the Nürburgring Karussell?

One special thing to notice is that they have wildlife entering the track every now and then, so watch out for those flags!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:17 PM   #4
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
One special thing to notice is that they have wildlife entering the track every now and then, so watch out for those flags!
Very true! The last time I was on Summit Main I pointed by a C5 Corvette track car in the carousel, and as we rounded T8 side-by-side there sat a groundhog in the middle of the road ahead. The Vette was on the right, and luckily for me that was the direction the groundhog chose to go once he saw us coming. Unfortunately caused some splitter damage on the Corvette--and more damage to the groundhog.
      02-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #5
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherM4n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
Very true! The last time I was on Summit Main I pointed by a C5 Corvette track car in the carousel, and as we rounded T8 side-by-side there sat a groundhog in the middle of the road ahead. The Vette was on the right, and luckily for me that was the direction the groundhog chose to go once he saw us coming. Unfortunately caused some splitter damage on the Corvette--and more damage to the groundhog.
You'll ya e a good time in Shenny, but I would recommend sticking to a much safer Main circuit. Shenny does not have a lot of runoff and Main is a true race track. Recommend looking at PCA, SCCA, NASA and Audi Club to get more seat time on Main. I am signed up with PCA for the March 30th event, but am on the wait list. Signed for the Audi Club event on Main in mid-March and believe they still have plenty of space.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

As others have noted, Shenandoah is tight and technical. That means if you drive it well, you will have a blast progressing there.

Also as others have noted, it is tight and in some sections there is just no run off area. A challenge in the dry if you push, and truly interesting in the rain.

If you go there, just be patient and use your head.

I think I’ve had my fill of it, it might be fun to do it again in a rental Miata or similar. But I’d pick WGI or VIR over it in a heartbeat. And NJMP (either track) just because I’ve only been there once and they are more new to me.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
RowanBuds1707.00
      02-27-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
But I’d pick WGI or VIR over it in a heartbeat.
This

If you have a heavy, powerful car you need to take it to the big boy tracks. WGI and VIR are two good ones in the East

Palmer, Limerock, Jefferson, etc are most interesting if you have a Miata/Cayman.

If you are just learning then anything will be entertaining and help you learn
Appreciate 0