European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #45
Mlaud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82

For the mid pipes either remus or AA, you have to cut the stock non ZCP muffler, correct?

Also for stock DP and stock muffler, should you have a resonated or non resonated mid pipe?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #46
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

So has anyone done downpipes, Remus resonated, and ZCP rear section yet? I wonder if the remus mid pipe would add or remove rasp vs the stock mid section.

I had AA on my 15 not interested in going that route again.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #47
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post

I had AA on my 15 not interested in going that route again.
How come?, just because you want something different or was there something you didn't like about it?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #48
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
How come?, just because you want something different or was there something you didn't like about it?
I had some issues with mine. Rear section can welds were coming undone by the pressure fittings and fitment issues with the midpipe rubbing. Not to say everyone will have these issues but after having them myself I would just rather try something new.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #49
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I had some issues with mine. Rear section can welds were coming undone by the pressure fittings and fitment issues with the midpipe rubbing. Not to say everyone will have these issues but after having them myself I would just rather try something new.
Understood, thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #50
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlaud View Post
For the mid pipes either remus or AA, you have to cut the stock non ZCP muffler, correct?

Also for stock DP and stock muffler, should you have a resonated or non resonated mid pipe?

Thanks
You have to cut between the resonator and muffler section for both of those setups. The Dinan mid-pipe requires the same cuts, in addition to cuts right after the secondary cats. ZCP or Non-ZCP muffler, irrelevant.

That depends on what you are going for. From the vast amount of threads I have read on here, if you are retaining the stock DPs, going non-resonated is preferred for more volume. If you are going to tune + DP it, then resonated helps tone things down a tad.

Having ran non-catted DPs + non resonated mids + oem muffler on my prior N54, I can tell you the DPs really open up the volume range, especially the deep tones. You hear the turbo spool, its a lot louder in the cabin (remember the DPs are basically below your shiter), and the low+mid torque gains are very noticeable. With a tune, neck snapping. Getting rid of the primary cats, which basically act in a similar fashion as a resonator of sorts, cranks up the volume factor. The sound is incredible, IMO. It's just not for me anymore with two young kids and a wife who thinks my F80 carbon fiber dash trim looks tacky
      02-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #51
Mlaud
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11br View Post
Quote:

Thanks
You have to cut between the resonator and muffler section for both of those setups. The Dinan mid-pipe requires the same cuts, in addition to cuts right after the secondary cats. ZCP or Non-ZCP muffler, irrelevant.

That depends on what you are going for. From the vast amount of threads I have read on here, if you are retaining the stock DPs, going non-resonated is preferred for more volume. If you are going to tune + DP it, then resonated helps tone things down a tad.

Having ran non-catted DPs + non resonated mids + oem muffler on my prior N54, I can tell you the DPs really open up the volume range, especially the deep tones. You hear the turbo spool, its a lot louder in the cabin (remember the DPs are basically below your shiter), and the low+mid torque gains are very noticeable. With a tune, neck snapping. Getting rid of the primary cats, which basically act in a similar fashion as a resonator of sorts, cranks up the volume factor. The sound is incredible, IMO. It's just not for me anymore with two young kids and a wife who thinks my F80 carbon fiber dash trim looks tacky
Thank you bro! I'm not going for anything crazy and honestly the stock exhaust is plenty loud! I come from the motorcycle world and race bikes, I don't need an obnoxious car too lol!

Here in Texas too, you can't remove the Cats or you'll fail inspection So stock it seems it'll be! The car now is a beast, sounds amazing and basically snaps my neck in map 2 anyway haha!

Btw.. I have a F82 and a 10 month old. Next will have to be a M3 for the room!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #52
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Here in Texas too, you can't remove the Cats or you'll fail inspection So stock it seems it'll be! The car now is a beast, sounds amazing and basically snaps my neck in map 2 anyway haha!

that sucks about the emissions testing

I dont know how you manage with the carrier and two doors! I sold my first 335i, an e92, a few month after our first child was born. Such a PITA, especially in tight parking with the longer doors. Thankfully, BMW brought back the four door M's
      02-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #53
Mlaud
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11br View Post
Quote:

that sucks about the emissions testing

I dont know how you manage with the carrier and two doors! I sold my first 335i, an e92, a few month after our first child was born. Such a PITA, especially in tight parking with the longer doors. Thankfully, BMW brought back the four door M's
That's what the RDX is for ?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #54
Pak317
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80

Does anyone have any feed back on the Remus resonated Midpipe?
      03-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #55
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

this may sound silly given the prices you guys pay for these cars, but I think removing your secondary cats and replacing with straight pipe at a muffler shop and being able to keep your stock resonator is a very good option. much cheaper and you'll take care of drone.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #56
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
this may sound silly given the prices you guys pay for these cars, but I think removing your secondary cats and replacing with straight pipe at a muffler shop and being able to keep your stock resonator is a very good option. much cheaper and you'll take care of drone.
Removing the cats and keeping the stock pipe design will only add rasp.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #57
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post

Remus with ZCP
do you guys tune the car first thing as soon as you buy the car? I am trying to find out where this pat pat pat noise come from.( which i dont like)

I mean the source of this pat pat pat is what? tune? dp? midpipe?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #58
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli333 View Post
do you guys tune the car first thing as soon as you buy the car? I am trying to find out where this pat pat pat noise come from.( which i dont like)

I mean the source of this pat pat pat is what? tune? dp? midpipe?
Stock competition package
Appreciate 0