Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
andrewf80
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Hey what's going on guys.. I wanted to make this thread for my M3 build because I receive a lot of messages daily on Facebook, and would like to be able to link this page for them to view. I am currently in the process of doing a top mount single turbo build on my F80 and we will hopefully be nearing completion soon. I will try to upload this thread a few times a week for anyone who is interested. Pictures will be upload soon, thanks for looking!

Motor -
Mahle Pistons, Manley Rods, King Rod Bearings, Carbahn Valve Springs, ARP Headstuds, Gintani Crankhub, Head Gasket, and ported head.

Fueling -
EOS Port Injection Manifold with 1000cc injectors, BMP LPFP (dual walboro 450 pumps)Flex Fuel Kit- controlled by a Microsquirt ecu

Transmission - Dodson Sportsman Plus Clutches (we will see how they do lol)

Turbo Kit - TPG/Fathouse Fab top mount turbo kit, Xona Rotor X3C 10569S Turbo, Front Mount IC, Tial Q BOV, and dual Tial MVS 38mm wastegates.

Drive Shaft Shop Axles and Carbon Driveshaft

Wheel Setup : Advan RDG2 18x10.5 in the rear with Mickey Thompson ET Street SS. Waiting on fronts to come in (long wait)

Interior - Sparco R333 Driver Side and Passenger, AWRON Digital Gauge

Suspension - KW V3's[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
SCS55291.00
AO08BAS243.00
Laoschris489.00
deli333145.00
F85MTuNED1620.50
      03-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Now this is what I'm talking about!! About time someone gets a big single setup with the drivetrain and go's full send.

So judging by the tires, Only going to be drag? No 1/2 mile or roll race events at pocono raceway?

Subscribed!

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Subscribed!!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
andrewf80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Now this is what I'm talking about!! About time someone gets a big single setup with the drivetrain and go's full send.

So judging by the tires, Only going to be drag? No 1/2 mile or roll race events at pocono raceway?

Subscribed!
I will definitely be looking to do plenty of roll race events with the car. I'm planning to be at FL2K 2020 and I have a track rental planned in late April to get the car dialed in
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewf80 View Post
I will definitely be looking to do plenty of roll race events with the car. I'm planning to be at FL2K 2020 and I have a track rental planned in late April to get the car dialed in
I'm guessing from your mods, you're looking for 1,200+ whp?

Do us all a solid and, take some time dialing in the torque reduction per gear. So, you don't just blow the tires off when you get it on it lol.

Will be interesting to see your tire selection for each type of race. From what I've encountered and seen, these cars need an 11" wide rim and 325 section width to get traction with bigger power levels.

Super pumped to see your results andrew!

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 1
c12h231.00
      03-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #6
andrewf80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
I'm guessing from your mods, you're looking for 1,200+ whp?

Do us all a solid and, take some time dialing in the torque reduction per gear. So, you don't just blow the tires off when you get it on it lol.

Will be interesting to see your tire selection for each type of race. From what I've encountered and seen, these cars need an 11" wide rim and 325 section width to get traction with bigger power levels.

Super pumped to see your results andrew!
Thank you! I'm going to be held back a little bit with this turbo only being rated to 1100 so if I break 1000 - 1050 id be happy with that as the first setup with the single. I do have the x4c turbo as well available but I think there might be some fitment issues that we will have to mock something up.

As for tires the setup that you see will be the "street setup." I will be doing smaller brakes in the rear (e46 m3 brakes) to be able to fit a 17 inch drag slick for the track.

All a work in progress, just really trying to see what this platform can do
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

sub'd

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hey what's going on guys.. I wanted to make this thread for my M3 build because I receive a lot of messages daily on Facebook, and would like to be able to link this page for them to view. I am currently in the process of doing a top mount single turbo build on my F80 and we will hopefully be nearing completion soon. I will try to upload this thread a few times a week for anyone who is interested. Pictures will be upload soon, thanks for looking!

Motor -
Mahle Pistons, Manley Rods, King Rod Bearings, Carbahn Valve Springs, ARP Headstuds, Gintani Crankhub, Head Gasket, and ported head.

Fueling -
EOS Port Injection Manifold with 1000cc injectors, BMP LPFP (dual walboro 450 pumps)Flex Fuel Kit- controlled by a Microsquirt ecu

Transmission - Dodson Sportsman Plus Clutches (we will see how they do lol)

Turbo Kit - TPG/Fathouse Fab top mount turbo kit, Xona Rotor X3C 10569S Turbo, Front Mount IC, Tial Q BOV, and dual Tial MVS 38mm wastegates.

Drive Shaft Shop Axles and Carbon Driveshaft

Wheel Setup : Advan RDG2 18x10.5 in the rear with Mickey Thompson ET Street SS. Waiting on fronts to come in (long wait)

Interior - Sparco R333 Driver Side and Passenger, AWRON Digital Gauge

Suspension - KW V3's[IMG][/IMG]
I saw that the head is ported, no camshafts to add to the mix?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
andrewf80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlejoEvo View Post
I don't believe there are any aftermarket camshafts available that I have seen. If you know of any i'd be more than happy to take a look!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #10
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't believe there are any aftermarket camshafts available that I have seen. If you know of any i'd be more than happy to take a look!
Count on it!

BTW, saw the EOS intake manifold and looks sick!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:27 PM   #11
andrewf80
Rep

Quote:
Count on it!

BTW, saw the EOS intake manifold and looks sick!!
Thanks man! I will post up some pictures of all the parts tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #12
andrewf80
Rep

First Update :

The cylinder head should be back from porting this week so we can begin assembling the head.. In the mean time we have been building the short block. I had a little hiccup with my driver side axle.. The threads on the outer got a little chewed up when I took them out so I had to send DSS a different core. But the axles and carbon driveshaft should be here knock on wood next week!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #13
whoismorggan
Bimmer Nut + Software Dev
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3 IE Stage 1

Garage List
Dream build. Subscribed
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #14
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
First Update :

The cylinder head should be back from porting this week so we can begin assembling the head.. In the mean time we have been building the short block. I had a little hiccup with my driver side axle.. The threads on the outer got a little chewed up when I took them out so I had to send DSS a different core. But the axles and carbon driveshaft should be here knock on wood next week!
I have two questions. I'm new to the platform so forgive my ignorance.

1. How you handled the direct injector holes on the head, since you're using an EOS intake manifold and the location of the injector changes?

2. Did you balanced your internals before closing your short block?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #15
fbogtre85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

1. How you handled the direct injector holes on the head, since you're using an EOS intake manifold and the location of the injector changes?

The car still has direct injection. So nothing was done. It will use both port and direct.

Yes the full rotating assembly has been balanced.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #16
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbogtre85 View Post
Quote:

[COLOR="Red"]The car still has direct injection. So nothing was done. It will use both port and direct.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Yes the full rotating assembly has been balanced.[/COLOR]
Nice! Are you using M5 injectors or from another platform??

I was asking for the balancing process, first because I know this is an expensive motor but there's always room for improvement. Second, because I have built a few motors myself and I recommend the process for this kind of projects.

I want to see the car running, I know it will be a beast!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #17
andrewf80
Rep

Quote:

I was asking for the balancing process, first because I know this is an expensive motor but there's always room for improvement. Second, because I have built a few motors myself and I recommend the process for this kind of projects.

Thanks man, and yea I'm excited to get the car together as well. I'm using the factory M3 oem direct injection injectors and 1000cc bosch port injection injectors.

I'm trying to upload some pictures from my camera but I'm not very computer savvy lol
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:43 PM   #18
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks man, and yea I'm excited to get the car together as well. I'm using the factory M3 oem direct injection injectors and 1000cc bosch port injection injectors.

I'm trying to upload some pictures from my camera but I'm not very computer savvy lol
Oh! So you support fuel with additional injectors, never passed through my mind!

Later tell me how you plan to control the injectors on the intake, and which fuel pumps are you using!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #19
andrewf80
Rep

Quote:
Oh! So you support fuel with additional injectors, never passed through my mind!

Later tell me how you plan to control the injectors on the intake, and which fuel pumps are you using!
Yes the additional fuel is coming from the port injection. So the car will be running both direct/port injection.

Microsquirt ECU will be controlled the PI and I'm using a custom LPFP setup from BMP that includes 2 Walboro 450 pumps
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #20
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes the additional fuel is coming from the port injection. So the car will be running both direct/port injection.

Microsquirt ECU will be controlled the PI and I'm using a custom LPFP setup from BMP that includes 2 Walboro 450 pumps
I looked up the Microsquirt and the ECU looks interesting. I heard from their company when they were selling the Megasquirt v1, they have advanced their products in an incredible way.

I tune with Haltech, I'm going to see if they have something for the S55.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #21
andrewf80
Rep

Quote:
I looked up the Microsquirt and the ECU looks interesting. I heard from their company when they were selling the Megasquirt v1, they have advanced their products in an incredible way.

I tune with Haltech, I'm going to see if they have something for the S55.
Yea it will definitely be a project in itself just to wire the microsquirt lol.. so many wires
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #22
andrewf80
Rep

Few pictures of the turbo kit, turbo, and interior
Attached Images

Appreciate 2