Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

11-29-2023, 04:12 PM   #1
6Spd_M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Race Seat & Harness Install / Coding - AGAIN

Sorry to have to bring this up AGAIN... but there seems to be so much piece-meal information in various threads... Just looking for a single location from start to finish for the electrical side of installing race seats.

Step 1 - Pull OEM seats & seat belts (duh)
Step ? - Install "airbag emulators" ?? Where are they purchased from??
Step ? - Install resistors, on what connectors, what pins etc.?
Step ? - Code the Occupancy Sensors / Airbags / Seat Position Sensors
- Is this using Tool32, ISTA, Esys Transmitter, BimmerCode?? All 4?

I've dug and dug and see a lot of good info,... but the info that is out there is ALL OVER THE PLACE in terms of what stage that person ran into problems.

Is there a from start to finish DIY process that someone has published that I'm not finding? The search button is worn out from how many searches I've done.

Is it as easy as just pulling the seats and belts out, getting a hold of kubax86 and letting him work some magic?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 01:20 AM   #2
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I originally wanted to put seats in my car with no coding. But like you pointed out, there is no diy step by step tutorial on how and if it’s even possible.

From my research I believe you can get emulators for air bags, and seat occupancy sensors, but you will have to code out or possibly use the oem seat position sensors that are on the oem seat rails.

https://shop.blshop24.com/

This is where I ordered the emulators.

Make sure to disconnect the battery first, then install emulators, then reconnect battery.

I bought the Brey Kraus seat brackets that work with oem rails. They come in a two pack and are priced quite affordably, $350ish, unless you have a 4 door (f80) because you will also require the harness anchor kit (R-9288,R-9289) which is an additional $100 per seat. You will also require two bmw window switches to use your power seat rails. As well as some additional wire and connectors. The instructions provided by Bret Kraus are very insufficient.

After all the hassle of dissembling factory seats to get the power rails, and wiring of electric switches, etc. And even after wiring emulators for occupancy sensors and airbags, knowing that I would have to code out the seat position sensor anyways. I just trashed the entire idea and kept it simple.

E90 manual seat rails from junk yard
Brey Kraus seat mounts (for cobra nagoro)
Brey Kraus harness anchors
Enet cable for remote coding
Kubax86 coded everything out, hassel free experience.

Sorry for the long post. If you do feel like using the oem electric rails and going the emulator rout, let me know. I have a bunch of the parts needed and would be willing to part with them.
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2023, 04:29 PM   #3
6Spd_M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Thanks uncle ben for that insight!

It sounds like I'm just going to have to do this blindly, document every step, and then create a full step by step tutorial. It seems there are enough questions about it, that I'm shocked someone else hasn't already created one.

Fingers crossed it goes well!

If anyone else has any tips/tricks or advice, I'd really love to hear it before I start ripping into this thing!
Appreciate 2
MAG2223.00
      12-12-2023, 06:50 AM   #4
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Spd_M View Post
Thanks uncle ben for that insight!

It sounds like I'm just going to have to do this blindly, document every step, and then create a full step by step tutorial. It seems there are enough questions about it, that I'm shocked someone else hasn't already created one.

Fingers crossed it goes well!

If anyone else has any tips/tricks or advice, I'd really love to hear it before I start ripping into this thing!
I pulled my seats, belts, and airbags then reach out to a coder and they take care of the rest. Pretty easy.
Appreciate 0