proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-09-2021, 11:21 PM   #23
Izzmeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
I find it very funny that people have access to data out there showing over the past 20 years that these companies out here when they're designing aftermarket springs they're doing the minimum amount of research needed to get there Springs on the market… they're not taking into account the vehicle dynamics all they're looking for is people who all care about is aesthetics but yet people buy them and then complain they make their car bounce around 🤔. Am I missing something here???
I disagree, that's not the complete truth. A spring can be linear rate or progressive rate. The spring rate is matched to the dampening rate of the shock. On high end performance cars like M cars this is matched very well via linear rate springs. If the car has EDC then there are compromises to be made to mass produce M cars for BMW to make a profit. An M3/M4 has very good handling from factory but it's not perfect. It's well balanced for spirited driving and occasional light driving events. If you're looking for track performance, the factory springs won't cut it. You need coil overs or stiffer, lower springs to lower the car's center of gravity helping it plant itself in the corners. The trade off is a stiffer ride and bounciness over bumps for daily street driving. Compromises have to be made, that's why the GTS has stiffer spring rates than the regular M. It's more track oriented, there's a market for everyone. Guys who just want to lower the car for aesthetic purposes usually don't buy expensive cars like M cars. If aesthetics is the goal then cutting the factory springs would suffice. I'm not looking for just aesthetics, neither is anyone on this thread. We're looking for good looks with no wheel gap and ride quality that is close to stock with similar if not very close to factory handling. That's why we research and test different options and discuss them on forums like this one. You're entitled to your own opinion as we all are, but I respectfully disagree with your comments.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 06:38 AM   #24
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzmeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
I find it very funny that people have access to data out there showing over the past 20 years that these companies out here when they're designing aftermarket springs they're doing the minimum amount of research needed to get there Springs on the market… they're not taking into account the vehicle dynamics all they're looking for is people who all care about is aesthetics but yet people buy them and then complain they make their car bounce around 🤔. Am I missing something here???
I disagree, that's not the complete truth. A spring can be linear rate or progressive rate. The spring rate is matched to the dampening rate of the shock. On high end performance cars like M cars this is matched very well via linear rate springs. If the car has EDC then there are compromises to be made to mass produce M cars for BMW to make a profit. An M3/M4 has very good handling from factory but it's not perfect. It's well balanced for spirited driving and occasional light driving events. If you're looking for track performance, the factory springs won't cut it. You need coil overs or stiffer, lower springs to lower the car's center of gravity helping it plant itself in the corners. The trade off is a stiffer ride and bounciness over bumps for daily street driving. Compromises have to be made, that's why the GTS has stiffer spring rates than the regular M. It's more track oriented, there's a market for everyone. Guys who just want to lower the car for aesthetic purposes usually don't buy expensive cars like M cars. If aesthetics is the goal then cutting the factory springs would suffice. I'm not looking for just aesthetics, neither is anyone on this thread. We're looking for good looks with no wheel gap and ride quality that is close to stock with similar if not very close to factory handling. That's why we research and test different options and discuss them on forums like this one. You're entitled to your own opinion as we all are, but I respectfully disagree with your comments.
I am not disagreeing with you regarding lowering the center of gravity. However I think there needs to be a better consistency of people throwing springs on their car. If you look at the broad spectrum of the car enthusiast community whether it's Bmw or not most people go the cheapest solution to hold themselves over and then they complain it doesn't perform properly.

I've been around CARS my whole life and I've own various different cars and this is my second BMW M car. I can honestly tell you unless you're going with an suspension that was built in house ground up. The ride is never going to be as what you would think it would be. Vs just putting lowering springs on your vehicle.

My 2020 M2C has MPERFORMANCE suspension- much better than stock

My 2020 M4 Heritage edition has the competition package revise suspension and it's excellent out of the gate for a stock set up.

Right now I am taking my time and looking into various suspension options to replace the factory dampening if I have to.

But I totally agree lowering the center of gravity increases handling dynamics but also if you get it wrong you will jack up your suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 09:27 PM   #25
denim_f80
Thailand
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36 M3, E82 1M, F10 M5

Great post! Enjoyed reading it. I ended up going with the KW HAS kit and it's amazing! Affordable but also really good ride quality
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 02:11 AM   #26
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Suspension is very subjective and what is "better" suspension for one person is crap for another. There is too many variables to take into account to say that one is better than the other. I had the H&R has kit on my M4 before i switched to Öhlins suspension and i don't understand how some people can say the ride was harsch. The rear springsrates are 13% SOFTER than stock springs.
What i found the issue with the suspension on these cars is the shocks. That is what makes the car feel harsch. But that is MY opinion. With a good shock you can run much higher springrates without getting a harsch feeling.
I run over 100% stiffer front springs and 60% stiffer rear than stock but the car isn't harsch. Firmer, yes, but not harsch. That is two different things.

Last edited by M 4 FUN; 11-28-2021 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #27
Ultimateone
OG E46Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 24 Champ White CTR

Love that the links are affiliate links, lol nice
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #28
F82 in QC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4,BMW 750iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzmeister View Post
Ordered EMD Springs today, will be putting them on sometime later this month or early next month. Doing front and rear pads, brake bleed, new caliper decals and springs altogether. Eibach US spec just doesn't lower enough for me. I will be selling the Eibachs once the EMD Springs have settled and I drive them around for a while. Just to make sure I like them, in either case one of the spring sets will be for sale before the year is up I want to say - if I don't like the EMDs. Keeping everyone posted here. I'm trying to rekindle the relationship lol
did u install them ?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:28 AM   #29
killraine
MRMATAM3
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My friend... so after seeing this video. I have decided to not go with macht snell (progressive and too drastic drop in back ) and instead go with emannulle design. After two years how do you feel about them?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:42 AM   #30
Izzmeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by killraine View Post
My friend... so after seeing this video. I have decided to not go with macht snell (progressive and too drastic drop in back ) and instead go with emannulle design. After two years how do you feel about them?
The Eibachs settled a little more. It's very low in the rear and about half inch ir so from the tire in the front. Looks good and handles well, decided not to mess with it. Bought some Rohana RFX11 wheels in 19" which I will be installing soon. To get me a tiny bit of extra drop I'm not sure swapping the springs from Eibach to EMD is worth it. Some swear by EMD, when I was researching Swift springs there were folks raving about it. They turned my car into a go cart. I hated them, I'd have to rey EMD to comment. Eibachs are a great compromise and they will settle. Not driving the car much maybe 6k miles a year they took a little over a year to reach maximum drop(Settling).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 12:20 AM   #31
BigFatRaccoon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT|2016 X5 35i

Great post.
Appreciate 0