GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-13-2022, 08:19 PM   #1
jim1013yyf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

[help] measurement needed - anyone has Bilstein B16 dampers off of the car?

Backstory - I have been running B16 Damptronic with Ground Control camber plate for almost 2 years. The ball bearings in the GC plates are worn out and due for replacement. So I order some newly designed GC slider plate with bearing already pressed in. However, the newly designed slider plate uses a "centering sleeve" to keep the shaft centered in the bearing. But Bilstein damper shaft has a step lip that ground control wasn't aware of. Therefore, the centering sleeve cannot be seated properly on the damper shaft (see pic below)

View post on imgur.com

The top bronze thingy is the centering sleeve. The top portion of it goes into the monoball joint

View post on imgur.com

And right in between the gap (highlighted with red arrows) is the step lip that Ground Control was not aware of, and they do not have the diameter of it. Due to this, the inner diameter of the sleeve is not machined wide enough to sit properly (no gap)...

My shop have already re-assembled everything...So does anyone here have a set of B16 (either the regular one or the damptronic one) off of the car, and can measure the diameter of that step lip for me? I would really appreciate the help!

FYI - the new slider plate uses a larger diameter monoball joint. So in theory, it should last longer....
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by jim1013yyf; 01-13-2022 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 08:16 PM   #2
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Do you still need the info? I recently acquired a set of used B16 damptronics but the stock top hat is on it. I will have to take it off since I have the Millway camber plates anyhow. I wasn't planning to install it until later this spring but if you still need the measurements, I should be able to get a spring compressor to remove the top hat and get the measurements for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 08:19 PM   #3
jim1013yyf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei213 View Post
Do you still need the info? I recently acquired a set of used B16 damptronics but the stock top hat is on it. I will have to take it off since I have the Millway camber plates anyhow. I wasn't planning to install it until later this spring but if you still need the measurements, I should be able to get a spring compressor to remove the top hat and get the measurements for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei213 View Post
Thanks for the offer man! I'm tired of working with ground control, and ordered some vorshlag camber plate for the Bilstein dampers!
Appreciate 0