proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
supersix_evo
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Hi all!

I am new to the BMW world and have started off with a Black Sapphire Metallic F80 M3 ZCP with six speed manual transmission. I absolutely love the car. Just ordered winter wheels and tires so I can drive year round! The car had 29k miles when I picked it up. The car is stock. It had a spotless diagnostic check from BMW showing no issues.

One thing I'm experiencing as I've gotten to know the car is when I put the pedal to the floor in all gears except for first and second, the RPMs kick up and then fall back down before acceleration really begins. For example, if I'm in 4th gear at 3k RPMs, the RPMs will shoot up to 4K and then fall back down to 3.1k and acceleration will really begin. This can happen multiple times if I'm in a higher gear like 6th and starting from 2k RPMs. When I'm above 4K RPMs this does not happen. It also doesn't happen in first or second. It's odd though, and makes me feel there is something wrong and perhaps the clutch is slipping. Is it possible this is something programmed in to the ECU software to spool the turbos? Thought that's possible but seems unlikely to me. I have all the assists off including traction control. Any thoughts you have on this subject is appreciated. Glad to have joined such a great group of enthusiasts!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
Tazmn Jr
William Wilson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Dct mineral white

Sounds like your experiencing wheel slip and the car is cutting power to save you. Although you have turned all the nannies off the f80 still has a minimum Tcs built in. I have experienced this also but the car senses when to let you have full control and will allow it. Make sure you hold the Tcs button down fully for at least 5 seconds and MDM lights are off and give it a try. The Dct is a well built tranny and requires above average torque before clutches slip. If you still feel things arent operating correctly advise BMW of this to be safe.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazmn Jr View Post
Sounds like your experiencing wheel slip and the car is cutting power to save you. Although you have turned all the nannies off the f80 still has a minimum Tcs built in. I have experienced this also but the car senses when to let you have full control and will allow it. Make sure you hold the Tcs button down fully for at least 5 seconds and MDM lights are off and give it a try. The Dct is a well built tranny and requires above average torque before clutches slip. If you still feel things arent operating correctly advise BMW of this to be safe.
He said he has a manual, but your point in TC may be relevant. Although it’s odd that it’s not doing it on 1st and 2nd.

OP, in a safe location, do what the poster above me said and see if power is cut off. Also, check your rear tires to see if they are worn or over inflated
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
supersix_evo
Rep

The traction control is fully off, no MDM. I have brand new Michelin Pilot Alpin 255s on it for winter. I do feel a bit of wheel spin when it happens in third and fourth. But is it possible I'm breaking the tires loose in 5th and 6th? It happens in those gears as well and is a bit worse, happening 2 or 3 times as I go through the rev range
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazmn Jr View Post
I don't think so to be honest. He wouldn't be seeing revs jump 2k RPM and come back down, especially in 4th, he'd be completely sideways. Also with everything off there is no "miminum" TCS built in.

Sounds like clutch slippage to me OP, especially since it's happening in higher gears, I've had that happen in a few cars before. It sucks because people here say it should last at the very minimum twice that many miles. It seems like the previous owner learned how to operate 3 pedals using that M.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #6
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix_evo View Post
The traction control is fully off, no MDM. I have brand new Michelin Pilot Alpin 255s on it for winter. I do feel a bit of wheel spin when it happens in third and fourth. But is it possible I'm breaking the tires loose in 5th and 6th? It happens in those gears as well and is a bit worse, happening 2 or 3 times as I go through the rev range
Did you buy it CPO? Take it to the dealership...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #7
supersix_evo
Rep

I do have a warranty, but because I'm the second owner the preventative maintenance is not covered. Only defects. I may be able to make the case this is a defect. I'll bring to dealership and see what they say.

Has anyone with a 6MT F80 experienced anything like this?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #8
FatRear08
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

6mt here. In 4th 5th and 6th I jump from 4K-5k. It’s clutch slip, granted I’m running Pure Turbos etc, but same symptoms as you. I’m awaiting a Spec Stage 2 clutch and flywheel to be installed. 29k miles on your clutch tho, I’ll have to agree with the above...the previous owner didn’t drive it well.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #9
supersix_evo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatRear08 View Post
6mt here. In 4th 5th and 6th I jump from 4K-5k. It's clutch slip, granted I'm running Pure Turbos etc, but same symptoms as you. I'm awaiting a Spec Stage 2 clutch and flywheel to be installed. 29k miles on your clutch tho, I'll have to agree with the above...the previous owner didn't drive it well.
I agree. I'm interested to learn of your experience with the spec stage 2 clutch. Please post about your experience once it's installed!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #10
FatRear08
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Sure...I’ll let u know. I just need something at this point that will hold the power.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #11
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Sounds like clutch slip.
In my tuned 135i when driving hard, the tires would spin in 1st & 2nd gears, in the 3rd gear the clutch would slip.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #12
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

It does sound like clutch slip from what you describe. The first owner must have been a horrendous driver to burn through a clutch in 29k miles.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 11:43 PM   #13
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
It does sound like clutch slip from what you describe. The first owner must have been a horrendous driver to burn through a clutch in 29k miles.
Especially since this car is the easiest manual to drive.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:40 AM   #14
Tazmn Jr
William Wilson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Dct mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix_evo View Post

Sorry for not paying attention to the fact you have a 6mt. With that being understood it sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order if you're under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #15
supersix_evo
Rep

Hi All,

Update on this clutch issue:

I brought the car to BMW in Warwick, Rhode Island. I was able to take a drive with the master technician who would be servicing the car. I got on the highway and did a few pulls from 40mph-70mph, a few times in third gear and a few times in fourth. The technician noticed the approx. 1k RPM slip and agreed the car was not performing as expected. After less than 24 hours in the service department I got a call from BMW notifying me that they were going to replace the clutch assembly under the factory warranty. I was glad to hear this considering the clutch is a wearable item and the preventative maintenance warranty did not carry over since I am the second owner of the vehicle (I believe this rule took place in 2016). The master technician notified me that the clutch is something BMW considers replacing under warranty if there are issues while the car has less than 50,000 miles inclusive. I am very happy to know that BMW honored their components and is making sure this F80 is in pristine condition.

While the car is at BMW I am also having the intake filters replaced, the oil replaced, and another 1-hour service inspection on my own dollar to insure everything is tip top.

I hope this thread is helpful to others who may experience a similar issue. I would be happy to upload videos displaying my experience if I find a secure way to do that on BimmerPost.

Spirited driving to all!
Appreciate 3
      01-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #16
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Good stuff! I didn't expect them to cover it esp since you're the second owner.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #17
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Good stuff! I didn't expect them to cover it esp since you're the second owner.
Why not??
The part failed within the warranty period and should be replaced under warranty. Nothing to do with preventive care (like free oil changes, etc...), the part did not last the warranty period.
Appreciate 1