GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

03-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Moving to Southeast Michigan.

I may be relocating to Southeast Michigan late this coming summer from central CA to open more opportunities for my son who plays ice hockey. I'm hoping some fellow forum members can answer some questions my family has. My wife and I have been researching but there is a lot to figure out in a relatively short amount of time.

We are looking in the Northville area, including Farmington, South Lyon, Livonia. But are also considering a bit further north, Rochester/Troy or Waterford area. We would love Ann Arbor, but a bit too far out for most of the teams he is trying out for.

Thoughts or input on the following.

1. Schools. My son will be entering 6th grade and does very well. He needs to be challenged more (another reason for leaving our current home).

2. Housing. Will be renting the first year, then looking to buy. Probably with a budget in the 500k range.

3. Employment. Both my wife and I work in medicine as Physician Assistants. I work in spine, she in pediatric ER but her passion was/is critical care. Anyone have any connections?

4. Tint laws. We have 20% all around (minus windshield) on both my M3 and her S6. Going to be an issue? Also, don't plan on running a front plate (I'm sure I can look this up, but more fun to ask here).

5. Anyone with kids that can recommend a good athletic training center/program?

Any help is much appreciated.
Nick
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
mlozano
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 6MT

Hi,

I don't have kids and live downtown Detroit so I can only help with a few things.

All of the places your looking at are pretty good with the Troy area being one of the nicest. You will want to stay away from Waterford except for a track day. Farmington is nice and quiet with a lot of mid century homes to pick from.

Enjoy a no front plate state! It's one of the few in the US. Tint can be hit or miss but for the most part they usually don't care much.

Since you're open to some advise I'd refer you to Bloomfield Hills BMW for any maintenance. Bob Ufolla is a great service contact if you decide to go there.

For car enthusiasts the cars and coffee at Woodward and 14 mile is a great place Saturday mornings. M1 concourse holds a C&C once a month and you can find the schedule on their website.

Welcome to Metro Detroit!
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
      03-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
ndx6spd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
We are looking in the Northville area, including Farmington, South Lyon, Livonia. But are also considering a bit further north, Rochester/Troy or Waterford area. We would love Ann Arbor, but a bit too far out for most of the teams he is trying out for.

1. Schools. My son will be entering 6th grade and does very well. He needs to be challenged more (another reason for leaving our current home).

2. Housing. Will be renting the first year, then looking to buy. Probably with a budget in the 500k range.

3. Employment. Both my wife and I work in medicine as Physician Assistants. I work in spine, she in pediatric ER but her passion was/is critical care. Anyone have any connections?

4. Tint laws. We have 20% all around (minus windshield) on both my M3 and her S6. Going to be an issue? Also, don't plan on running a front plate (I'm sure I can look this up, but more fun to ask here).

Nick

Most cities in Oakland County are decent. I think Farmington Hills is boring, Livonia is kinda "old." Traffic sucks on 275/M5/696 area. I personally dislike this area for many reason. Northville is slightly better, but at that point, I'd move to Plymouth (nice "downtown").

I would recommend Troy, Birmingham (probably hard to find a "nice" house for 500k in Bham), Bloomfield Hills/Township. Location is more central, easy access to all freeways/highways, traffic does not suck as much as elsewhere.

I'd argue that Bham/Bloomfield schools are better than most in the area.

You shouldn't have trouble finding jobs as PA's. I have some NP/PA friends and they all landed multiple job offers without trouble.

Nowadays, cops in my area don't stop cars for tinted windows. Yeeeears ago, I did get pulled over 20%. Since, I've put 35% all around and 50% on windshield and have not had any problems. Besides, first time offense, just pay the ticket and you're good. It's a fix-it ticket, so if you do take off the fronts, fine is waived.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
      03-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
nick3753
Major
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thank you both for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
jim1013yyf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Welcome to the state of potholes. I have been living in Ann Arbor for 11 years (moving to bay area this May), and it has my vote, even though it is a bit further away from metro Detroit area. The city is well diversified, with many bars/restaurants and some of the best schools/colleges.

Regarding the tint law, currently I have 35% all around + 80% windshield on both of my cars, and never had a problem with law enforcement. However, about 5 years ago, I got a ticket for having 25% all around + 50% on windshield
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
Teeone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I am on the west side, living in Canton. On this side of town, the nicer areas for homes are Northville and Plymouth, oh of which are just north of Canton. Then there is Novi, a little further north. I lived in West Bloomfield, then moved to Canton 25 years ago, and it has been a good place to raise a family. What I like about the west side is that you are not landlocked in business and traffic like the east side and north/central areas. Canton is Close to downtown Plymouth, which is a great little town, 20 minutes to Ann Arbor, which has a lot to offer, 5 minutes from country roads and 35 minutes to the west edge of downtown Detroit.

I wouldn’t worry about the tint, as others have indicated. It’s a fix it ticket. Just roll down your window both left side windows ASAP if a cop pulls you over. I have family members who are traffic cops. It’s not a priority ticket for them.

My daughter finished college and is a medical assistant now, and will shortly be applying to PA schools.

If I can be of any help, let me know. I’d be glad to show you around for an afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Troy and Birmingham areas are very nice.

Road conditions are as bad as reported above. Just brutal. Hardly motivated to bring my E90 out of the garage this spring.

Been in and around Michigan youth hockey my whole life, so your post caught my attn. Your son is 11 or 12 and a Peewee, yeah? You have in mind AAA in the Detroit metro area?

Forgive me if I'm reading you incorrectly, but it is his hockey, associated athletic development opportunities and challenges for him that are bringing you to the area?

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:43 PM   #8
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Most of metro Detroit (including the areas you listed) is pretty quiet and boring.

I'm with the other guy who recommended the Woodward corridor. Bloomfield, Birmingham, and Royal Oak are generally viewed as metro Detroit's premier areas due to their central location, abundance of restaurants and shopping, and general lively feeling. The only downside is [obviously] that you get less home for the money in these locations and they can be a bit of a drive to DTW and Ann Arbor. You won't find the cookie cutter McMansions with huge yards that populate the rest of the metropolis in these areas. West Bloomfield is close enough to the action.

I'd avoid the M59 suburbs (Rochester, Sterling heights, St Clair shores, etc.) as they are just too damn far from everything and just extremely unappealing in every way. Farmington, Canton, etc. are not in central locations but they do have the benefit of being reasonably close to DTW, downtown Detroit, and Ann Arbor.

Beaumont Health is huge. The main campus is on 13 and Woodward, one of the 20 largest hospitals in the country. Great reputation for being a "cush" place to practice. I know a lot of Docs there but never worked much with PAs unfortunately. I can't speak to other health systems like DMC, Henry Ford, or the U of M.

Last edited by Germanauto; 04-12-2019 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

I would recommed a good set of winter tires for your M3... there's a chap selling a nice set on this forum! Welcome to the rust belt!

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #10
nick3753
Major
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Troy and Birmingham areas are very nice.

Road conditions are as bad as reported above. Just brutal. Hardly motivated to bring my E90 out of the garage this spring.

Been in and around Michigan youth hockey my whole life, so your post caught my attn. Your son is 11 or 12 and a Peewee, yeah? You have in mind AAA in the Detroit metro area?

Forgive me if I'm reading you incorrectly, but it is his hockey, associated athletic development opportunities and challenges for him that are bringing you to the area?
I think my wife is using hockey as the excuse to get me to move on from my job here (or maybe I am). She hates it here in Fresno and I've been unwilling to move (I have a great gig that I know I won't duplicate elsewhere). I'm willing to give that up for his opportunities (though I'm not naive enough to think he's going to the NHL or something).

No AAA yet, he has made an Yzerman team though. I don't know want him to play AAA until bantam major (if he's good enough). He has some work to do, but he will be more than doubling his ice time out there compared to here. Hopefully that will allow him to make more progression. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
nick3753
Major
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Moving to Southeast Michigan.

Thank you all for the input. It's looking like Canton is probably where we will end up as it is near the rink and seems like the best "value" for homes. Plus as I look for employment it is a reasonable distance from most potential employers. I was just out there this past weekend looking. This was my second trip out there and like one of the posters above mention, the roads..... Alignment and suspension shops must make a fortune. It definitely has me concerned, but what can you do?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:41 PM   #12
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Thank you all for the input. It's looking like Canton is probably where we will end up as it is near the rink and seems like the best "value" for homes. Plus as I look for employment it is a reasonable distance from most potential employers. I was just out there this past weekend looking. This was my second trip out there and like one of the posters above mention, the roads..... Alignment and suspension shops must make a fortune. It definitely has me concerned, but what can you do?
Add some sidewall and do you best to avoid the big ones... Or buy a truck.

Hope all goes well with the move and your boy's hockey!

Northern lower part of the state, lake shores are beautiful for a summer weekend. Worth the drive from Canton.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 08:20 PM   #13
nick3753
Major
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
So, our move is progressing and today my wife looked into car insurance. Wtf. For her 2017 S6 alone it was nearly 4K per year with Amica. Is that normal? Similar coverage here (Central Valley CA) for both my m3 and her S6 was around 1600 per year with Ameriprise who won't offer coverage in Michigan (perhaps a clue that this is the norm). Clean records.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #14
Teeone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I pay about $1k per year for each of my cars. Cars and home are insured through liberty mutual. I have been very happy with them and have been with them for 25 years. You should shop around.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #15
nick3753
Major
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeone View Post
I pay about $1k per year for each of my cars. Cars and home are insured through liberty mutual. I have been very happy with them and have been with them for 25 years. You should shop around.
Thanks. I will absolutely do that.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #16
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
I may be relocating to Southeast Michigan late this coming summer from central CA to open more opportunities for my son who plays ice hockey. I'm hoping some fellow forum members can answer some questions my family has. My wife and I have been researching but there is a lot to figure out in a relatively short amount of time.

Nick
Woodward corridor is best. R Oak, B'Ham, if possible. But also most expensive. Troy is ok. I'm relo'ing back to Detroit from Nashville for family reasons.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0