Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Tuning Count

Hey Guys,

Im finally the owner of a 2016 M3 !! Ive been wanting one for awhile and even though my FBO 335i was amazing my first drive of the F80 M3 sold me. Here's my problem . I purchased the car used 2 weeks ago and while I was having some coding done for the mirrors etc the coder mentioned "man your cars been flashed a few times" Then it hit me oh S*&T!! I never thought to check for that prior to buying. My plan was to just do bolt on's until my factory warranty expires late next year but now according to others i've talked to it doesn't matter when I got the car if I go in for warranty im screwed. I should've know to check for that coming from a tuned N54 platform. Does anyone know if theres anyway to "reset" the counter?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

That’s odd. I thought if you flash it with something like boot mode and Unflash it, it will reset the counter.

You may still have a tune on your car
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Never thought about that ....I’m not even sure how to check if it does. It feels exactly like other ones I’ve test drove in the past few months
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
rexb16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 362i

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweredram View Post
Hey Guys,

Im finally the owner of a 2016 M3 !! Ive been wanting one for awhile and even though my FBO 335i was amazing my first drive of the F80 M3 sold me. Here's my problem . I purchased the car used 2 weeks ago and while I was having some coding done for the mirrors etc the coder mentioned "man your cars been flashed a few times" Then it hit me oh S*&T!! I never thought to check for that prior to buying. My plan was to just do bolt on's until my factory warranty expires late next year but now according to others i've talked to it doesn't matter when I got the car if I go in for warranty im screwed. I should've know to check for that coming from a tuned N54 platform. Does anyone know if theres anyway to "reset" the counter?

Thanks

I wish that a spelling and grammar check were prerequisites for posting on here.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
That’s odd. I thought if you flash it with something like boot mode and Unflash it, it will reset the counter.

You may still have a tune on your car
From what I can tell, bootmod3 is just RequestDownload + TransferData from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unifie...ostic_Services

This means the Bosch ECU has special code in the internal firmware to update a flash counter everytime this happens. To my knowledge, bootmod3 does not massage that counter or the other verification checksums with your car is flashed.

aka if you flash, you void your warranty
Appreciate 0