GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-11-2019, 04:01 AM   #1
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FR F82 M4

Brake Rotors and Pads

I was wondering for recommendations on type of rotors and pads to get. If I were to go away from OEM, I would like something more track oriented that I can still daily. Is there a type of brand and model of rotors and pads I should be looking at? For example I ran Carbotech racing pads and Stoptech slotted rotors on my last car from the normal street rotors and pads.

If the stock rotors and pads are good then I will stick with them but since I am new to the BMW rotors and pads world, I figured I asked. I know that the stock rotors and pads are good for light track days and once or twice a year track days if that is correct? So if I only track it once or twice a year at most and maybe another time at like an autocross event, should I stick to OEM pads and rotors?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Stock rotors and pads didnt go so well for me at the one track day I did in the car, I was able get pretty bad brake fade about 10min into my first session ever in the car and had to manage brakes for the last 10min. This could have been due to old fluid being in the system since it felt like more a fluid temp issue but I decided to just buy DS2500's w proper fluid and call it a day. I'm heading out to an event on them today so I'll report back with some results.

It's more dependent on driver level than say X amount of track days since it really boils down (get it?) to how much heat gets put in the brakes by the driver. Once you go over that threshold with a pad things start going downhill.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep

Ok so DS2500 + Stock rotors was friggin awesome! Didn't get a chance to bleed the brakes so the car still had the same fluid as last time when I had horrific fade and I was able to get after it for 3 straight sessions (pulling lap data down now)! I'm sure with proper fluid in pedal feel would have been even better. These are dead silent on street and have much better feel/bite then the stock pads did. I'm so happy with them!
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 11:04 PM   #4
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FR F82 M4

Wow thanks for the update! I am looking at those pads now. You are using the same stock rotors correct? If my stock setup, I am in the novice class so I probably won't push it as hard as you, but if it doesn't hold up I will just end my day early.

Thanks again for the info! Hope you did well at your track day!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep

Yup just slapped these bad boys in there... Didn't even sand the rotors down and they were dead silent. There was just a hairline lip on the rotor from where the old pads did not make contact which had me nervous for noise purposes but they were good to go.

KNSbrakes has great prices on Ferodo stuff def check them out.

I did have to do some brake management but I never go 10/10ths (2 flyers then cool down) for an entire session. Maybe with a fluid change I could go a harder for longer but my home track is brutal ok brakes and I wanted to be a little extra cautious since I didn't change fluid.
Appreciate 0