EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #23
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
You'd have the ZDA Driver Assistance package: HBA, Lane departure, ... Which use the KAFAS control unit and camera.
Thanks. So this isn't necessary for VLD, since it's speed activated. In other words, I could code this on in my car?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #24
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
Thanks. So this isn't necessary for VLD, since it's speed activated. In other words, I could code this on in my car?
yes, just like in my situation, as long as you have the Xenon S522A and Adaptive Headlights S524A. I just coded the above two parameters, but i cant tell in my garage if there's a difference, I guess i'd have to wait for the evening. here's a youtube vid of the action on a garage door.

As far as FDL coding instead of VO Coding FEM_BODY, i checked with TM's "FA_CAFD What-If" and for "8S4 Decoding Variable Light Distribution" it shows those same two params, so in theory it should work if we enable those two params respectively (F020_enable, F020_mit_AFS):
Output from FA-CAFD What-If:
FEM_01 > LaMaster1 3073 > C_AFS_ENA = F020_disable
FEM_01 > LaMaster1 3073 > LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y = F020_ohne_AFS

Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #25
Gibson6594
Major
Rep

Quote:
yes, just like in my situation, as long as you have the Xenon S522A and Adaptive Headlights S524A. I just coded the above two parameters, but i cant tell in my garage if there's a difference, I guess i'd have to wait for the evening. here's a youtube vid of the action on a garage door.

As far as FDL coding instead of VO Coding FEM_BODY, i checked with TM's "FA_CAFD What-If" and for "8S4 Decoding Variable Light Distribution" it shows those same two params, so in theory it should work if we enable those two params respectively (F020_enable, F020_mit_AFS):

Great, would be nice if we could avoid VO coding. Although I will have to check if I have S524A. I was under the impression that US cars with Xenon did not have Adaptive Headlights.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:30 AM   #26
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
That would be a bummer if you don't have the Adaptive Headlights, I know there are small stupid differences between Canada and the US as far as standard equipment. You can check by either looking in your FA SALAPA list with Esys or decoding your VIN online.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #27
Gibson6594
Major
Rep

Quote:
That would be a bummer if you don't have the Adaptive Headlights, I know there are small stupid differences between Canada and the US as far as standard equipment. You can check by either looking in your FA SALAPA list with Esys or decoding your VIN online.
It looks like I don't have Adaptive Headlights. No mention of them in my VIN. In fact, when I decode my VIN, I see "8S4 DECODING VARIABLE LIGHT DISTRIBUTION."

Perhaps I can VO code that out and add in S524A?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #28
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
That could probably only work if your xenon headlights are equipped with the motors that make them move vert/horiz and other sensors. You can maybe check realoem to see if the parts are the same or search for adaptive headlights retrofit? Check this https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1, it's a xenon retrofit but details parts required to have an adaptive headlight Xenon.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #29
G4Z808
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not yet

Quote:

I FDL Coded this last night and it worked flawlessly. I just need to remember where to change the threshold on the high speed setting lower. On my M235i there was 3 different light patterns, and the high speed one only activated above 70 MPH i think. I should be able to change a Werte value to lower that speed threshold to 60 MPH

Quote:
Great, would be nice if we could avoid VO coding. Although I will have to check if I have S524A. I was under the impression that US cars with Xenon did not have Adaptive Headlights.
All cars with Xenons should have the necessary hardware to code in VLD. In the US at least i believe the DOT mandates all cars with Xenon headlights must have auto-leveling, so for bmw's that should mean you get the adaptive xenons
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #30
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G4Z808 View Post
I FDL Coded this last night and it worked flawlessly. I just need to remember where to change the threshold on the high speed setting lower. On my M235i there was 3 different light patterns, and the high speed one only activated above 70 MPH i think. I should be able to change a Werte value to lower that speed threshold to 60 MPH
Hi, great that you confirmed that ! how did you check, in garage or on the road?

BTW, if you browse FEM_BODY, there's a bunch of parameters for speed thresholds, C_AFS_C/E_V_LO/HI... use TMs NCD/CAFD tool so you browse with translation. Dont know what the different light distribution are about: C, E, E1, E2, E3 but found this Adaptive Lights document in Rheingold. Cheers.

ok I am working through the values a bit, here's an example:
C_AFS_C_V_HI
defaultwert (default value) = 8C
Comment = Upper threshold velocity for light distribution C
OPTIONS
defaultwert (default value) = 8C -
Comment = Value: 38.878; Value[Hex]: 8C; Unit: m/s; Type: uint8; Scaling: 0.2777
The comment is confusing as it gives the unit as m/s, and the scaler 0.2777 (1 km/hr = 0.2777 m/s), and the Value (speed threshold) in m/s 38.878 but the werte is in kph, 0x8C (140 km/hr).

Last edited by aboulfad; 05-11-2016 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #31
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
ok, here's my attempt to correlate the VLD parameters to their function based on reading the rheingold dov above and other threads. There are other parameters not related to speed that I didnt list here. Values in brackets are in kph (km/hr) unless noted otherwise.

Engine start
In switch position "A" (Light switch in the switch position for automatic driving lights control) and terminal 15 ON, both headlights execute a reference run. That means: Both swivel modules are moved down slightly and then to the desired position (visible when the vehicle is parked in front of a wall: The light cone moves down and then back up). The desired position depends on the load status of the vehicle. When the engine is started, the headlight driver module initially controls the city light distribution.

City light distribution
The city light distribution enables a broader illumination of the left roadway at low speeds. The left headlight is moved approx. 12° to the left and approx. 0.7° downwards. The city light distribution is activated from engine start to a driving speed of approx. 50 km/h.
Pertinent Params:
C_AFS_C_V_LO defaultwert = 28 (40)
Country road light distribution
The country road light distribution is the same as the standard low beam headlights. At a driving speed above approx. 50 km/h, the city light distribution is changed to the country road light distribution. Below a driving speed of approx. 50 km/h, the footwell module (FRM) changes the light distribution back to city. The country road light distribution represents the basic setting for the headlights.

Motorway light distribution
The motorway light distribution increases the range of the driving light. The left headlight is moved approx. 3.5° to the left and approx. 0.25° downwards. The right headlight is moved approx. 0.2° upward. If the vehicle speed exceeds 110 km/h for longer than 30 seconds, or if 140 km/h is exceeded, the footwell module switches on the motorway light distribution. If the vehicle speed drops below 110 km/h, the headlights are gradually reset, depending on the driving speed. This takes places in stages (110 km/h 100 km/h 90 km/h 80 km/h). The country road light distribution is activated again at 80 km/h and below.
Pertinent Params:
C_AFS_C_V_HI defaultwert = 8C (140)
C_AFS_E_V_LO defaultwert = 6E (110) (see timer below)
C_AFS_E1_V_LO defaultwert = 64 (100)
C_AFS_E2_V_LO defaultwert = 5A (90)
C_AFS_E3_V_LO defaultwert = 50 (80)

C_AFS_E_T_MIN defaultwert = 1E (30s)
Comment = Counter Minimum for LightDistribution E

Fog light distribution
The fog light distribution is activated when the fog lights are switched on. The fog light distribution can be combined with the city light distribution and the country road light distribution. The link headlight is moved approx. 8° to the left and approx. 0.7° downwards. If the high beam headlights are switched on while the fog light distribution is active, the headlight moves to the basic setting, i.e. to the country road light distribution.
Pertinent Params:
C_AFS_EX_FOG_ENA defaultwert = 01
Comment = Switch to enable or disable motorway light distribution while foglights are turned on (1 means motorway light distribution enabled).
There's this C_AFS_V_V_HI defaultwert = 2D (45) parameter that I still have to figure out and I assume that this for the Cornering Light off: C_AFS_C2_V_LO defaultwert = 46 (70) but unsure.

Last edited by aboulfad; 05-11-2016 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #32
Gibson6594
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4Z808 View Post
All cars with Xenons should have the necessary hardware to code in VLD. In the US at least i believe the DOT mandates all cars with Xenon headlights must have auto-leveling, so for bmw's that should mean you get the adaptive xenons
Looking at the VIN decoding again, I see 524 Adaptive Headlights, skimmed right past it before...which explains why it would have to be "Decoded." The hardware is present.

So now I just have to check to make sure those modules are in the VO (which they likely are) and then FDL code the below. Is that right?

FEM_01 > LaMaster1 3073 > C_AFS_ENA = F020_enable
FEM_01 > LaMaster1 3073 > LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y = F020_mit_AFS
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #33
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
So now I just have to check to make sure those modules are in the VO (which they likely are) and then FDL code the below. Is that right?

FEM_01 > LaMaster1 3073 > C_AFS_ENA = F020_enable
FEM_01 > LaMaster1 3073 > LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y = F020_mit_AFS
You meant to say that those parameters are listed in your FEM_BODY cafd, yes and yes I'll go driving tonigh to see if it really worked.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #34
Gibson6594
Major
Rep

Quote:
You meant to say that those parameters are listed in your FEM_BODY cafd, yes and yes I'll go driving tonigh to see if it really worked.
Excited to hear your results. And awesome work correlating the VLD parameters.

Shouldn't I make sure that the 8S4 (DECODING VARIABLE LIGHT DISTRIBUTION) is removed from my VO, and that S524A is already added?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #35
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Thanks and good question! If S524A (Adaptive Headlights) shows in your VIN decode sheet, then it should be in your FA. As for removing S8S4A, you'd do that if you were going to VO code FEM_BODY, but instead what I asked, confirmed by further reading/checking and confirmed by G4Z808 is that FDL coding those two parameters works so no need to remove it from the FA as we are not VO coding FEM_BODY.

The exercise that I did offline with the "FA-CAFD-WhatIf" allows me to select a car option and see what parameters are affected. The advantage to FDL coding is that you don't obviously loose all your previous coded parameters, and I have a few in FEM_BODY.

NOTE: VO coding is like resetting all the parameters to their original values based on the FA.
FDL Coding: overwrites any default value.

Note: if you ever modify your FA, unless you really need to, do NOT write to car as some people reported that interfered with dealer update. Instead you modify FA, load it , activate FA and then VO the target ECU.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #36
Gibson6594
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks and good question! If S524A (Adaptive Headlights) shows in your VIN decode sheet, then it should be in your FA. As for removing S8S4A, you'd do that if you were going to VO code FEM_BODY, but instead what I asked, confirmed by further reading/checking and confirmed by G4Z808 is that FDL coding those two parameters works so no need to remove it from the FA as we are not VO coding FEM_BODY.

The exercise that I did offline with the "FA-CAFD-WhatIf" allows me to select a car option and see what parameters are affected. The advantage to FDL coding is that you don't obviously loose all your previous coded parameters, and I have a few in FEM_BODY.

NOTE: VO coding is like resetting all the parameters to their original values based on the FA.
FDL Coding: overwrites any default value.

Note: if you ever modify your FA, unless you really need to, do NOT write to car as some people reported that interfered with dealer update. Instead you modify FA, load it , activate FA and then VO the target ECU.
Great, that makes things nice and easy. Looking forward to your results.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #37
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
You'll have to wait for few more hours until it's really dark
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #38
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Ok after our trip shopping downtown, we headed to what I thought would be deserted roads but it took me 20 tries to capture the VLD in action, (cars coming head on...) the only mode I was able to record was switch from city/town light distribution to country road mode. On the highway it's impossible to film without a stand for my iPhone.

The motion is very subtle and very smooth, have I not known when it' would happen and focus like 20 times you'd never notice it. Check the playlist I created with very small videos. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...fky97TsqB6t8S-

Focus on the left/driver projector and notice it's angle narrowing, in one try, I actually saw the lighting pattern on the road but I wasn't filming!

Last edited by aboulfad; 05-12-2016 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:24 AM   #39
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Ok after our trip shopping downtown, we headed to what I thought would be deserted roads but it took me 20 tries to capture the VLD in action, (cars coming head on...) the only mode I was able to record was switch from city/town light distribution to country road mode. On the highway it's impossible to film without a stand for my iPhone.

The motion is very subtle and very smooth, have I not known when it' would happen and focus like 20 times you'd never notice it. Check the playlist I created with very small videos. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...fky97TsqB6t8S-

Focus on the left/driver projector and notice it's angle narrowing, in one try, I actually saw the lighting pattern on the road but I wasn't filming!
You'll begin to notice it more after a few nights. The US/CAN DOT Adaptive Bi-Xenon's lack some hardware to fully enable EU VLD, but the swiveling works obviously. You may want to look at VO Coding the headlight driver modules and FEM_Body. There are some differences in the "home position" and swiveling electronic limits.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:31 AM   #40
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Thanks miamiten , but the whole idea of my original post was to avoid VO Coding FEM_BODY in order not to loose all my previously coded features. Upon searching and using the what-if scenario, only two parameters were required to activate VLD, but there's a bunch of other related parameters I saw that I still didn't decipher. It'll be hard to know the difference to EU VLD, unless someone shares a copy of the FEM_Body cafd. I'll take a look also in the TMS modules.

PS: hmmm if you are referring to HBA, I don't have that feature.

Last edited by aboulfad; 05-12-2016 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #41
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Thanks miamiten , but the whole idea of my original post was to avoid VO Coding FEM_BODY in order not to loose all my previously coded features. Upon searching and using the what-if scenario, only two parameters were required to activate VLD, but there's a bunch of other related parameters I saw that I still didn't decipher. It'll be hard to know the difference to EU VLD, unless someone shares a copy of the FEM_Body cafd. I'll take a look also in the TMS modules.

PS: hmmm if you are referring to HBA, I don't have that feature.
It's really a matter of personal choice and yes redoing extensive VO Coding is a pain in the butt.

The NCD/CAFD is nice to a point (not knocking you guys...I applaud all the effort and complementary availability), but the Un-Trimmed CAFD files aren't totally matching and either show a partially erroneous what-if or miss some lines completely.

The only difference you would see is more range of motion. The DOT Adaptive Bi-Xenon swivel range is limited in the horizontal axis. Since the DOT assemblies lack the multiple pattern Walze and reflector articulator to change the actual beam pattern in addition to moving where the beams are cast, some people like the added movement range. But it is a lot of work for not much return IMO.

GFHBA is completely separate but dependent on VLD. Since th hardware is missing on US/CAN Adaptive Xenon assemblies, GFHB should never be coded active with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #42
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
The NCD/CAFD is nice to a point (not knocking you guys...I applaud all the effort and complementary availability), but the Un-Trimmed CAFD files aren't totally matching and either show a partially erroneous what-if or miss some lines completely.
I havent run into any of this yet for my 2015 M4, I am using v0.38.182

Quote:
The only difference you would see is more range of motion. The DOT Adaptive Bi-Xenon swivel range is limited in the horizontal axis. Since the DOT assemblies lack the multiple pattern Walze and reflector articulator to change the actual beam pattern in addition to moving where the beams are cast, some people like the added movement range. But it is a lot of work for not much return IMO.
Ok I am not a lighting expert, and I wish our resident expert was still here, but my Xenon headlight definitely have vertical and horizontal motion (reflector or stepper motor) for VLD (low beams) and Adaptive beam throw adjustment, check the startup sequence video and as documented in Rheingold for a US based VIN. The Walze is pertinent to NGHB (high beams) so not sure how that affects VLD ??? but as I said I am noobie to the lighting scene

PS: are you the same miami10 from BF ?

Last edited by aboulfad; 05-12-2016 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #43
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad
Quote:
I havent run into any of this yet for my 2015 M4, I am using v0.38.182

Quote:
Ok I am not a lighting expert, and I wish our resident expert was still here, but my Xenon headlight definitely have vertical and horizontal motion (reflector or stepper motor) for VLD (low beams) and Adaptive beam throw adjustment, check the startup sequence video and as documented in Rheingold for a US based VIN. The Walze is pertinent to NGHB (high beams) so not sure how that affects VLD ??? but as I said I am noobie to the lighting scene
Most common coding won't make these hiccups readily apparent so i wouldn't think much of it. More complex and difficult coding is when they appear.

I'm wondering where DMNC02 is also. Had been working on all this lighting stuff with him for a while, and he's gone MIA now that I finally cracked the F10 LED's once and for all.

The Walze also handles part of VLD by changing the shape of the beam. The stepper motors then position the beam to the determined position for the active distribution shape. Not all Walze support GFHB. RoW Xenons with VLD have been using a Walze since the E39.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #44
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Most common coding won't make these hiccups readily apparent so i wouldn't think much of it. More complex and difficult coding is when they appear.

I'm wondering where DMNC02 is also. Had been working on all this lighting stuff with him for a while, and he's gone MIA now that I finally cracked the F10 LED's once and for all.

The Walze also handles part of VLD by changing the shape of the beam. The stepper motors then position the beam to the determined position for the active distribution shape. Not all Walze support GFHB. RoW Xenons with VLD have been using a Walze since the E39.
I know he just disappeared, maybe I'll shoot him a PM, i hope he's fine ! and thanks for the info/explanation. BTW, are you also miami10 from BF ?
Appreciate 0