R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #111
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryst View Post
Similar to OP I also picked up both my first BMW and 6MT around the same time...and really glad I took the chance instead of going with the DCT. That being said does anyone have tips driving in slow speeds?

In some situations I'll be crawling around 8mph preparing to stop & clutch in and all sudden need to quickly accelerate. Is it better to drop down to 1st or keep in 2nd (feels like it lugs/not sure if I need to slip the clutch a bit). I'm a bit clunky with both options right now... esp when shifting into 1st where it feels like the engagement point feels like its a lot closer to the floor than normal?
When moving, even just a few mph I will 99% of the time start in 2nd. Just need to slip the clutch a little, similar to starting from a stop, and you will be good to go. I find downshifting into 1st to be clunky and not nearly as smooth/easy as using 2nd.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #112
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicck_f82 View Post
Rev it up moderately and ease off the clutch. If it starts to buck on you, punch the clutch back in and restart. Eventually you will find the sweet spot. Down shift on corners. Try to not stay on the clutch to long once you get the hang of the manual transmission.
Personally, I do not think that is good advice and will teach bad habits. There is no need to rev it up (unless you are trying to launch) as you are just creating additional clutch wear and will probably lead to a herky jerky start. You can simply release the clutch to the engagement point, no gas necessary, to get the car moving. At that time you can add as much gas as necessary to get the car moving and come off the clutch completely. On a level surface you wont even need any gas to get the car moving in first.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #113
dryst
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocurls View Post
Congrats man! Yeah, once you get pass the jitters it's not some insurmountable task as it may seem before.

If I'm going that slow, I'll just stick in 1st gear and have my left foot ready to clutch in. You can roll in 2nd gear that low but you might start bogging the engine and be forced to shift down anyways. If you need to hard accelerate from a very slow speed, probably best to shift down and gas it as lugging your engine isn't ideal.

If I'm wrong, somebody please step me and correct and enlighten us.
Thanks dude! I didn't realize how nervous I would be at the beginning but I can safely say it was worth the effort! Yeah I've typically tried shifting down to 1st in that scenario but guess I don't do it often enough so it's a bit jerkier than I would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicck_f82 View Post
Rev it up moderately and ease off the clutch. If it starts to buck on you, punch the clutch back in and restart. Eventually you will find the sweet spot. Down shift on corners. Try to not stay on the clutch to long once you get the hang of the manual transmission.
Yeah seems like practice is everything. I wish the engagement point in our cars were a bit closer to the floor though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
When moving, even just a few mph I will 99% of the time start in 2nd. Just need to slip the clutch a little, similar to starting from a stop, and you will be good to go. I find downshifting into 1st to be clunky and not nearly as smooth/easy as using 2nd.
Interesting I'll keep this in mind and try again when I'm out. I was hearing the engine bog last time I tried this so guess I'll try slipping the clutch just a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #114
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Quote:
Thanks dude! I didn't realize how nervous I would be at the beginning but I can safely say it was worth the effort! Yeah I've typically tried shifting down to 1st in that scenario but guess I don't do it often enough so it's a bit jerkier than I would like.
When I'm in the scenario where I shift down into 1st, I shift into 1st and slowly ease off the clutch to not get it to jerk. It's the only way I found to not have the car jerk.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #115
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah seems like practice is everything. I wish the engagement point in our cars were a bit closer to the floor though!
I highly recommend buying a clutch stop. They are very inexpensive and improve the clutch immensely. It will eliminate most of the "dead" space between the disengagement point and the floor making the uptake much quicker and easier.
Appreciate 1
brocurls263.00
      09-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #116
Divowatts
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

I am also still getting the feel for a manual, but I am very excited to learn.
Appreciate 1
brocurls263.00