Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-01-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

1/2 inch height difference on F80

I am on KW V3's. I had to set my driver's side 1/2 inch lower than my front passenger to have the front leveled.

I understand 1/4 inch driver side higher is normal from my previous BMW
s. Not a big deal since I am on coilovers and I adjust myself, but just wondering if anyone else has a 1/2 difference in height where driver side is higher.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

If you have to adjust the driver's side 1/2 lower than the passenger's side to be level, then something is off.

Given that the installation was done correctly, the problem is that all 4 corners are off. Jack up the front of the car and adjust the front perches (left/right) to the same height. Then lower it. Don't worry about how level it is just yet. Then jack up the rears and check the rear perches to make sure they're set to the same height (left/right) as well. Lower the car. Now, it should be level. Any adjustments you make to ride height now should be done evenly.

If it's still off, then I bet you it was an improper installation. The first thing I'd check is to make sure the front shocks are fully seated into the carrier; both sides. Also, check to make sure the springs are properly seated in the rubber seats. Then level out the perches again. You should be good to go.

If it's still off, then I'd take it in to a good shop to check the installation and other suspension components. After that, take it to a good shop to corner balance and align it for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Get the car corner balanced.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Get the car corner balanced.
They'll corner balance with the driver in the car, when he gets out the car, the driver's side would be higher than the passenger's side.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr3s View Post
I am on KW V3's. I had to set my driver's side 1/2 inch lower than my front passenger to have the front leveled.

I understand 1/4 inch driver side higher is normal from my previous BMW
s. Not a big deal since I am on coilovers and I adjust myself, but just wondering if anyone else has a 1/2 difference in height where driver side is higher.
My car is on ohlins, the right side's height adjustment is more than 1/4 inch higher and the driver's side is still slightly higher.
When you get in the car the car should be close to level.

Normal
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Is it very noticeable to a mechanic if the strut is not fully seated? How would that even be possible if it's bolted up?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr3s View Post
Is it very noticeable to a mechanic if the strut is not fully seated? How would that even be possible if it's bolted up?
The strut assembly slides down into the carrier. Then the carrier is pinch tightened with a bolt.

The thing is, you don't have to seat it down completely in order to tighten it down. In fact, if you don't pry open the carrier open a bit, some times it's difficult to push the strut assembly all the way down. So an installer might think it's all the way seated, when in fact it is not. Failing to properly seat the strut into the carrier is a very common mistake, but an experienced installer usually will not make this mistake.

It's very easy to check if the strut is seated properly. Just jack up the front and look how much the strut is poking out of the bottom of the carrier; both sides should be the same.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0