Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #45
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Also greatly appreciate the reviews and the time and effort you put into doing this, both Bimmerpost and Rennlist. Huge help for so many people. As far as the poser stuff, that is total bullshit! Isn't the point of all this car stuff to have fun. Who cares if it is on the street or on the track or whatever. I wish I could pose with as much talent as you have.
      02-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #46
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo View Post
Beautiful photos as usual. I'll watch the video after I start my bath and light my fragrance candles. .
I got this back from JRZ. They said there is a whole to run the rebound adjustment knob up through.

"Hello Matt,

Yes, we will make these brackets for the future.

On the rear rebound adjuster, there is already a hole in the chassis where you can guide the rebound extension through.

So it should be pretty straight forward. What problem are you seeing? Then we have to solve this also.

With best regards,

Erik Ras
Chief Operating Officer - Worldwide"
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #47
M3SSY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 / F80 M3

looking forward to your thoughts after Sebring!
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #48
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
I got this back from JRZ. They said there is a whole to run the rebound adjustment knob up through.

"Hello Matt,

On the rear rebound adjuster, there is already a hole in the chassis where you can guide the rebound extension through.

So it should be pretty straight forward. What problem are you seeing? Then we have to solve this also.

With best regards,

Erik Ras
Oh really? I'll have to investigate this further. When I pulled off all the trunk panels, I guess I didn't really look hard enough.

Unfortunately, it'll be a while before I get time to do it. Let me know if you get to it first.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #49
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh really? I'll have to investigate this further. When I pulled off all the trunk panels, I guess I didn't really look hard enough.

Unfortunately, it'll be a while before I get time to do it. Let me know if you get to it first.
I did the same thing. Saw the mess and put the panels back on.

What alignment specs did you end up using?

I'm not liking how the steering feels. The car drives straight as an arrow, but I need to add much more steering input than I would like. I think I may need some more toe.

Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #50
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
I did the same thing. Saw the mess and put the panels back on.

What alignment specs did you end up using?

I'm not liking how the steering feels. The car drives straight as an arrow, but I need to add much more steering input than I would like. I think I may need some more toe.

My settings are (were) as follows.

Front: -2 degrees camber, 1/16 toe in
Rear: -2 degrees camber, 3/32 toe in

What are your rear settings? That's also going to affect how "straight" the cars wants to be naturally. You toe setting is slightly more out than mine. You can go to a zero toe setting or even toe out if you want to have a more immediate steering response. But in my experience, that can make the car feel a bit "darty" on straight/fast highways. To me, that kind of scares me a bit so I prefer the toe in.

One more thing. Check your tire pressure. That also greatly affects steering feel.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #51
Drive4Fun
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536
Quote:
Beautiful photos as usual. I'll watch the video after I start my bath and light my fragrance candles. .

"Hello Matt,

With best regards,

Erik Ras
Did you find it? If not I can try and take some pics for you guys tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #52
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive4Fun View Post
Did you find it? If not I can try and take some pics for you guys tomorrow
I haven't looked yet. Pics would be amazing!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #53
Drive4Fun
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW BMW M4

I'll hopefully have some pics tomorrow. Sorry. I did talk to my mechanic and he said the driver side is relatively easy to fish up through the body but the passenger side was a little more "challenging". He said they had to drill a hole to access that side. I ran my extenders through the carpet but you could keep them hidden inside if you wanted. Just have to pull the carpet back to make the adjustments. I didn't mind the small holes but others may.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #54
racsos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

sooooo....what did you think of the JRZ RS2?

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:23 AM   #55
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racsos View Post
sooooo....what did you think of the JRZ RS2?

I'm getting there. I'll have some thoughts and an update video this weekendish.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #56
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Impressive as always, looking forward to the review!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #57
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Nice quality in the track videos. What camera did you use?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #58
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Nice work on the track, and great choice on parts. I follow you on youtube (keep up the good work).

Cheers,
-Ash
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 06:09 AM   #59
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
Nice quality in the track videos. What camera did you use?
Go Pro Hero 4 Silver
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #60
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep

Nice driving!
      03-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #61
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Video Update:

Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 08:11 PM   #62
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Video Update:

I'm only 8 min into your video so far, but I'll give you my 2 cents on your settings. Generally you want to have the rebound higher than the compression. But first, some terminology.

Compression knob is to control how much damping is applied to the wheel going up (piston compressing).

Rebound knob is to control how much the damping is applied to the wheel coming down (piston extending).

As far as your settings in the video goes, try bringing the compression for the rear down (-) several clicks. And bring the rebound up (+) on the front and rear. You'll get a way more compliant ride for street use.

Now I'm gonna continue watching.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #63
dave12285
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
I'm only 8 min into your video so far, but I'll give you my 2 cents on your settings. Generally you want to have the rebound higher than the compression. But first, some terminology.

Compression knob is to control how much damping is applied to the wheel going up (piston compressing).

Rebound knob is to control how much the damping is applied to the wheel coming down (piston extending).

As far as your settings in the video goes, try bringing the compression for the rear down (-) several clicks. And bring the rebound up (+) on the front and rear. You'll get a way more compliant ride for street use.

Now I'm gonna continue watching.
Good recommendations. Bryan from JRZ is usually willing to help and is fantastic with dialing in your settings. Give him a call sometime.

I still think think that two way and three way coilovers are an interesting choice for a street car unless you have a deep understanding of not only compression, rebound and how they work but also how each click of each adjuster affects the feel of your car specifically. It certainly makes it easier when you have great support from JRZ or your local race shop but setting these up correctly on your own without this knowledge is plenty of trial and error.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #64
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep

Nice video! Could not agree with you more regarding the price you pay for modification of a car you drive on the street. Even when there are big gains in performance there is always the suspension noise, or tram lining that is extreme, or an unbearable squeal from a race pad that requires you sand it on the edges, the list goes on and on. And one mod leads to another and before you know it you have brake kit, exhaust, suspension, wheels, tires etc etc. My solemn pledge to myself was that I would keep this M car stock. Well, that doesn't count track wheels and tires and brake pads. But now I have driven a friend's M4 with TC Kline 2 way adjustable suspension and it is so planted and actually comfortable on the street. But then perhaps exhaust, tune, it never ends. And the idea was to have another car to dally drive that my wife could use when I take our dog in the SUV. And as an added bonus I could take it to the track occasionally so I do not put too much wear and tear on the RS. And while the M3 is capable with just tires and pads it would be so much better on track with the TC Kline or other suspension kit.
The M4GTS appeals to me because all the mods are done by the factory with fullfactory warranty and do not detract from the value on resale. But that is a lot of money to have tied up in cars and I would need another daily driver because there is no way my wife would drive the GTS.
These are the crazy thoughts that go through my mind. Thanks again for the video.
Thanks again for the video.
      03-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #65
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
Nice video! Could not agree with you more regarding the price you pay for modification of a car you drive on the street. Even when there are big gains in performance there is always the suspension noise, or tram lining that is extreme, or an unbearable squeal from a race pad that requires you sand it on the edges, the list goes on and on. And one mod leads to another and before you know it you have brake kit, exhaust, suspension, wheels, tires etc etc. My solemn pledge to myself was that I would keep this M car stock. Well, that doesn't count track wheels and tires and brake pads. But now I have driven a friend's M4 with TC Kline 2 way adjustable suspension and it is so planted and actually comfortable on the street. But then perhaps exhaust, tune, it never ends. And the idea was to have another car to dally drive that my wife could use when I take our dog in the SUV. And as an added bonus I could take it to the track occasionally so I do not put too much wear and tear on the RS. And while the M3 is capable with just tires and pads it would be so much better on track with the TC Kline or other suspension kit.
The M4GTS appeals to me because all the mods are done by the factory with fullfactory warranty and do not detract from the value on resale. But that is a lot of money to have tied up in cars and I would need another daily driver because there is no way my wife would drive the GTS.
These are the crazy thoughts that go through my mind. Thanks again for the video.
Thanks again for the video.
If the GTS appeals to you, then have confidence that the GTS comes with slightly tuned KW Clubsport 3-way coilover. You can even purchase this exact M4 GTS specific kit for your M3/M4.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ight=clubsport

EDIT: I just noticed you have a 2015 M3. Depending on your production date, you may have a 3 bolt tophat or a 5 bolt tophat.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #66
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Money2536 congrats on the install and thanks for the candid review. I noticed that you mentioned in the video that you weren't sure whether or not you went too aggressive for a DD. I'm shopping suspensions at the moment and have the same concerns. On my typical commute right now I go back and forth on factory EDC between comfort and sport depending on the road surface. While I really want a proper setup for occasional track use I also don't want to sacrifice daily comfort and enjoy switching settings.

I wanted to ask, did you ever consider a setup with progressive springs such as the Bilstein PSS-10 or Bilstein Damptronic B16 for a more aggressive setup with a bit more street comfort and still some adjustability? The benefit of these vs the sleeve kit is that the dampers should be better matched with the stiffer springs that are configured. Thoughts appreciated.