Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #45
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
I have no skin the game for these springs, but to answer your question about the other brands...
  • Swift just landed on US shores and is pretty much already sold out.
  • Eibach is still internally arguing about how to botch their US rollout even more.
  • H&R rides like sh*t.
What factors would make one spring ride better than the other if both sets dropped the car similar heights? Spring rates are really the only variable, no?

I'm genuinely curious as I'm still considering a spring-only drop.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #46
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
What factors would make one spring ride better than the other if both sets dropped the car similar heights? Spring rates are really the only variable, no?

I'm genuinely curious as I'm still considering a spring-only drop.
The H&Rs drop the car a little bit more than the rest. It really stresses out the dampers quite a bit. After the springs settle, they pretty much make the dampers useless. I've done the H&R route on my F30 and I've driven in other F cars with H&R springs. It reminded how much better my current set up is. But like I've said numerous times, everyone's tolerance for what is acceptable is different. For me, bouncing up and down on the freeway is embarrassing on these cars.

If I was going to do a spring only drop, it would be Swift. They are linear. They don't settle. And their drop is pretty moderate, giving the dampers a tiny bit more room to work.

That being said, I'll never ever do just springs alone again. My motto is, "Getting a great suspension set up isn't a waste of money; it's getting a bad suspension set up that is a waste of a car."
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #47
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
The H&Rs drop the car a little bit more than the rest. It really stresses out the dampers quite a bit. After the springs settle, they pretty much make the dampers useless. I've done the H&R route on my F30 and I've driven in other F cars with H&R springs. It reminded how much better my current set up is. But like I've said numerous times, everyone's tolerance for what is acceptable is different. For me, bouncing up and down on the freeway is embarrassing on these cars.

If I was going to do a spring only drop, it would be Swift. They are linear. They don't settle. And their drop is pretty moderate, giving the dampers a tiny bit more room to work.

That being said, I'll never ever do just springs alone again. My motto is, "Getting a great suspension set up isn't a waste of money; it's getting a bad suspension set up that is a waste of a car."
Thanks! I'm leaning toward Swift as well for the reasons you stated. I think ultimately I'm still hesitant to go spring-only knowing it isn't the best way forward. We'll see.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #48
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
I have no skin the game for these springs, but to answer your question about the other brands...
  • Swift just landed on US shores and is pretty much already sold out.
  • Eibach is still internally arguing about how to botch their US rollout even more.
  • H&R rides like sh*t.
Good things come to those who wait I already have KW but this just seems like an interesting setup. Just was looking for some more data if MS(EAS) manufactured and designed these in house or if they were outsourced.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #49
esrt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple M Cars

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Good things come to those who wait I already have KW but this just seems like an interesting setup. Just was looking for some more data if MS(EAS) manufactured and designed these in house or if they were outsourced.
The spring rates for the Matt Schnells and Swifts are very similar. I was debating between the two and after getting the spring rates and asking around decided to give these a go. I've had these on the car now for 2 weeks. They still ride great (very little settling from the install). I will say that in sport+ it's a very stiff ride with these springs. Too much for me on city streets. On OEM springs it was manageable but on the stiffer springs forget it.

In sport mode feels much better than OEM. I haven't experienced any bounce / floatiness from the setup. I rarely drive in efficient (unless my wife is in the car) and still feels better.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #50
GO TYM3
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

My MS springs are being installed right now. I will update after I get some driving time in.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #51
A1PericoM3
Banned
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: F80 MW/SO

Posted these in another thread. Here is mine with MS 15/15
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #52
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:

Whats your opinion on the KW HAS kit and the Dinan Spring Kit?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #53
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
Whats your opinion on the KW HAS kit and the Dinan Spring Kit?
I have not used either of those sleeve kits. But technically speaking, there is no difference from these height adjustable kits with springs alone other than being able to adjust the perch height. The damping performance/under-performance is still the same as a spring only kit. However, the end result in satisfaction can vary widely based on how low you go and what your tolerance for compliance/harshness. So, if you are happy with the height of a certain spring kit (the MS spring height looks great) and can tolerate the change in ride quality, then springs alone is probably the better way to go. I say this because a sleeve kit can add more variables for noise and general fit issues. However, for many people, these sleeve kits are the best middle ground in achieving lowering/performance/cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #54
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO TYM3 View Post
My MS springs are being installed right now. I will update after I get some driving time in.
Looking forward to it.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #55
blu335tt
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80

The quality of the springs, excellent. The stance, front sits just right and rear is slightly too low. I guess this is subjective. I have always wanted that raked look. The ride, completely not what I expected. It has a bouncy ride and it seems anything unsettles it. I've tried all modes with the EDC but have not found a preferable setting. I read somewhere in the forum someone saying "it does not ride like an M anymore" at first I laughed but now I share their opinion. With no insult to any other car, it now feels just like any other dropped car. It's been three days since I installed the springs but I guess waiting for them to settle means getting softer and lower which are two things I do not think will help. I came from an E90 competition package to this! While this car is much faster, my E90 handled and rode like nothing else. At this point, I am not certain what I am going to do. I have driven an F82 with the KW sleeve kit which I thought was too compliant. I am not sure the notion of having a better stance comes at the high cost of full coilovers. Is anyone else in the same predicament I am in? Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #56
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I too wanted to drop my F82 once delivered and purely for esthetics but after reading all the negative comments on many different threads about basically every set of springs I will keep mine OEM. Also a coilover kit for a daily driver is over the top. Also the F8x comes in Belgium with EDC so then I would have to disable EDC.

So far I am not convinced there is any spring set available on the market that doesn't mess up the ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #57
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu335tt View Post
The quality of the settings, excellent. The stance, front sits just right and rear is slightly too low. I guess this subjective. I was always wanting that raked look. The ride, completely not what I expected. It has a bouncy ride, it seems anything unsettles it. I've tried all modes with the EDC but have not found a preferable setting. I read somewhere in the forum someone saying "it does not ride like an M anymore" at first I laughed but now I share their opinion. With no insult to any other car, it now feels just like any other dropped car. It's been three days since I installed the springs but I guess waiting for them to settle means getting softer and lower which are two things I do not think will help. I came from an E90 competition package to this! While this car is much faster, my E90 handled and rode like nothing else. At this point, I am not certain what I am going to do. I have driven an F82 with the KW sleeve kit which I thought was too compliant. I am not sure the notion of having a better stance comes at the high cost of full coilovers. Is anyone else in the same predicament I am in? Suggestions?
Did your installer use the included height adjustment shims?

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #58
blu335tt
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80

Yes he did, I made sure of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #59
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
So far I am not convinced there is any spring set available on the market that doesn't mess up the ride.
The Swifts doesn't
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #60
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu335tt View Post
Yes he did, I made sure of it.
Everyone we've installed in-house has been relatively happy with the springs, sharing the same opinion as the OP. Pretty much, it's all we've been installing lately.

IMHO, coilovers on a street-only M3/M4 is a bit overkill and may sacrifice some comfort for handling, most would be perfectly fine with a spring install only.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 03:10 AM   #61
jballs16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 RS6, RR LWB, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
Go with Swift 👌🏼 They've been getting excellent reviews and are endorsed by some of our geekiest suspension guys
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #62
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballs16 View Post
Go with Swift ���� They've been getting excellent reviews and are endorsed by some of our geekiest suspension guys
If you can get them...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #63
RG88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1199R

Just had these installed and so far they feel great.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #64
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Yas Marina Blue M4 with Macht Schnell Sport Comp Springs:

Wheels are next!

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #65
Account Closed
Smarty Pants
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold

I just bought these springs from EAS and not only did they do a flawless job installing them, but they were dead right about the drop height and overall feel. People take a good install for granted nowadays. It's very hard to install some of these parts without damaging the car. I'm super picky to the point where I will examine the car for 2 hours after every install to make sure there is not a single scratch on the vehicle. I have to say, the guys that work at EAS do flawless work. My car is always returned to me in the same condition as I leave it with them. It's very easy to get lazy at the end of the day, but these cats work pretty hard, and I'm guessing it's cause they're a great team. Major props to them!

Very impressed with the ride and looovvvee the natural look. The car drives amazing on the freeway, too. The dampening of the shocks is still quite good. It's still in the ballpark of it's prime. The handling has improved a bit, especially with slow, wide turns. The functions of the adaptive suspension are still clearly noticeable. My M4 looks pretty beefy now and doesn't have that nasty bounce that H&Rs give. (No offense) The springs compliment the shocks quite well, and would choose this spring than any other manufacturer.

Anyways, get these springs and get them done at EAS. Headache free....

Last edited by Account Closed; 10-17-2015 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #66
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Bedrosian View Post
I just bought these springs from EAS and not only did they do a flawless job installing them, but they were dead right about the drop height and overall feel. People take a good install for granted nowadays. It's very hard to install some of these parts without damaging the car. I'm super picky to the point where I will examine the car for 2 hours after every install to make sure there is not a single scratch on the vehicle. I have to say, the guys that work at EAS do flawless work. My car is always returned to me in the same condition as I leave it with them. It's very easy to get lazy at the end of the day, but these cats work pretty hard, and I'm guessing it's cause they're a great team. Major props to them!

Very impressed with the ride and looovvvee the natural look. The car drives amazing on the freeway, too. The dampening of the shocks is still quite good. It's still in the ballpark of it's prime. The handling has improved a bit, especially with slow, wide turns. The functions of the adaptive suspension are still clearly noticeable. My M4 looks pretty beefy now and doesn't have that nasty bounce that H&Rs give. (No offense) The springs compliment the shocks quite well, and would choose this spring than any other manufacturer.

Anyways, get these springs and get them done at EAS. Headache free....
Appreciate the feedback, glad you are happy with your new setup!

Appreciate 1