European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-15-2021, 05:08 AM   #1
ASRman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 competition 2018

Autowerkes Equal Length Resonated Tinny Noise

Hi all

I have an order for the EQ midpipe from Active Autowerkes with the resonated section. I am currently running Akrapovic downpipes and the AA single midpipe.

Since placing the order I've been informed by a few folks running the above set up that there is quite a nasty 'resonance' or 'vibration' which occurs at low speed gear changes at low RPM. As its been mentioned a few times by different people I think that rules out an install error.

Question is why hasn't this been reported on here and if there is an issue with resonator vibrations is Active Autowerkes doing any about this? I think I did read somewhere over on the F87 board they may have redesigned the resonators to resolve this unpleasant noise. Does anyone know whether this has now been actioned and released?

I do not really want to cancel the order as top end the exhaust sounds magical but if its at the cost of sounding tinny at low RPM I may sadly have to re-consider. I have also emailed Autowerkes and will update this thread once they respond.

Any information pertaining to the above would be extremely helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

if you get a vibration or resonance, adjust the install. the same thing happened with the shop's M4. its a tricky install but if you do it correctly, you wont get that drone or resonance
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #3
RugbyBro
Major
Rep
Drives: M4

Chances are you won’t have to adjust it but just be ready to adjust it and re-tighten everything after it heat cycles a few times. If you don’t mind getting your hands a little dirty then it’s really not a big deal. In my mind there’s only really three possibilities when it comes to rattle:

1. Not seated right to the DPs
2. Touching the heat shield or brace
3. Clamps aren’t tight