Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-08-2021, 08:56 PM   #1
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

6 speed M/T upgraded bushings

Has anyone with a 6 speed install upgraded shifter bushings? I feel like mines sloppy and could use an upgrade. Is it easy to do or should I take it to a shop?
      04-08-2021, 10:10 PM   #2
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Easy is subjective, but it’s fairly straightforward.
      04-09-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
marauder1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F80 CZP, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan315 View Post
Has anyone with a 6 speed install upgraded shifter bushings? I feel like mines sloppy and could use an upgrade. Is it easy to do or should I take it to a shop?
Which upgraded bushings are you referring to? I was looking at shifter upgrades and they seem fairly time consuming thought not necessarily difficult. with dropping the exhaust and working around the driveshaft.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #4
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder1 View Post
Which upgraded bushings are you referring to? I was looking at shifter upgrades and they seem fairly time consuming thought not necessarily difficult. with dropping the exhaust and working around the driveshaft.
I took it as meaning the trans mounts. What you said about the shifter assembly is also correct, except you don’t necessarily need to remove the exhaust for trans mounts, depending on which midpipe you have.
      04-09-2021, 09:50 PM   #5
f80tanz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I upgraded my rear shifter bushing to a polyurethane one from Turner Motorsports. My shop put it in at the same time I had my short shifter kit put in, and the combination of the two really gave the shift a tight, notchy feel. I'm not sure exactly how long the bushing by itself took to install though.

** Edit: Looked at my invoice, and it took about 4.5 hours to do BOTH short shift kit and polyurethane bushing. **
Appreciate 1
GT_Juls251.50
      04-15-2021, 06:35 AM   #6
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
you have to be mechanically inclined to do the shift carrier bushings, the rear part of the carrier sits in a bushing while the front section of the carrier has two bushings and is held in place with what is known as a "bitch clip" and it is fairly difficult to remove if you havent seen one or understand how it locks in place.

not to mention getting under the car and getting access to the shift carrier, also removing it out of the car with the driveshaft in place is fairly challenging.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 06:56 AM   #7
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Get an UUC shortshifter. Nice improvement with needle bearing.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Quote:
you have to be mechanically inclined to do the shift carrier bushings, the rear part of the carrier sits in a bushing while the front section of the carrier has two bushings and is held in place with what is known as a "bitch clip" and it is fairly difficult to remove if you havent seen one or understand how it locks in place.

not to mention getting under the car and getting access to the shift carrier, also removing it out of the car with the driveshaft in place is fairly challenging.
LOL! The bitch clip. I know exactly what you're talking about.
Appreciate 0