EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #89
edycol
Second Lieutenant
173
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
There are many great approved oils that fit the daily driving role that I personally wouldn't even bother with molygen, especially at a cheaper cost. If you're looking for racing oils, that's a different can of worms, but personally Molygen isn't worth the premium over Castrol 0w40 / 0w30. Motul 5w40 Xcess Gen 2 can be had for a decent price as well. On motul site it links you over to eeuroparts . com and I paid 35 bucks per 5 liters. Hard to beat those two I mentioned.

Castrol 0w40 / 0w30 lost LL-01 but still carries MB 229.5 229.3 / Porsche A40, which are stringent approvals. From MSDS and UOA it seems like it's still pretty much the same formula. I still use it on a lot of my cars. Amazon / walmart sells 5 quart jugs for around 25 dollar typically as well.

Just my 2 cents
It is astonishing what bit of marketing and oversized "Made in Germany" letters do.
Appreciate 1
JamesGames1147.50

      04-12-2021, 06:15 PM   #90
TopJimmy
Lieutenant Colonel
TopJimmy's Avatar
United_States
1225
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 F80
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Chester County, PA

iTrader: (1)

The LiquiMoly that I had is now used for my riding mower...
__________________
'18 F80 Base 6MT | FBOs | Kies Hub | Paul's E85 | Stock Turbos | 7 seconds 60-130
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #91
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
horsepower_and_hounds's Avatar
United_States
1515
Rep
3,926
Posts

Drives: '15 M4 BSM
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
The LiquiMoly that I had is now used for my riding mower...
__________________
IG: horsepower_and_hounds
'15 M4 BSM DCT CCB, '15 Alfa Romeo 4c coupe "sold", '18 M2 "sold", '15 M4 "totaled", '14 M235 "sold", '09 128i "sold"
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy1225.00

      04-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #92
edycol
Second Lieutenant
173
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
The LiquiMoly that I had is now used for my riding mower...
Cuts grass any better?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #93
TopJimmy
Lieutenant Colonel
TopJimmy's Avatar
United_States
1225
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 F80
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Chester County, PA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
The LiquiMoly that I had is now used for my riding mower...
Cuts grass any better?
I needed to increase rear tires by 1.5PSI to compensate.
__________________
'18 F80 Base 6MT | FBOs | Kies Hub | Paul's E85 | Stock Turbos | 7 seconds 60-130
Appreciate 2
irunalot497.00

      04-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #94
fiveohwblow
Captain
fiveohwblow's Avatar
United_States
1556
Rep
848
Posts

Drives: E70, E46 M3, F82
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Desert SW

iTrader: (0)

Still rocking liquimoly for my track dedicated e46 m3... Haven't had issues and its suuuuuper fresh with 169,000. Not sent any Blackstone studies yet, but not too concerned either. I dont use it in any of my other vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #95
MisterF80M3
Major
MisterF80M3's Avatar
873
Rep
1,047
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
There are many great approved oils that fit the daily driving role that I personally wouldn't even bother with molygen, especially at a cheaper cost. If you're looking for racing oils, that's a different can of worms, but personally Molygen isn't worth the premium over Castrol 0w40 / 0w30. Motul 5w40 Xcess Gen 2 can be had for a decent price as well. On motul site it links you over to eeuroparts . com and I paid 35 bucks per 5 liters. Hard to beat those two I mentioned.

Castrol 0w40 / 0w30 lost LL-01 but still carries MB 229.5 229.3 / Porsche A40, which are stringent approvals. From MSDS and UOA it seems like it's still pretty much the same formula. I still use it on a lot of my cars. Amazon / walmart sells 5 quart jugs for around 25 dollar typically as well.

Just my 2 cents
I will be doing an oil analysis with my Molygen in my car with ~5000 miles on e85 tune, FBO, and we will see if their oil is really as bad as you think it is.
__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #96
edycol
Second Lieutenant
173
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
I will be doing an oil analysis with my Molygen in my car with ~5000 miles on e85 tune, FBO, and we will see if their oil is really as bad as you think it is.
The fact that Molygen does not have any approval, should tell you everything you need to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #97
MisterF80M3
Major
MisterF80M3's Avatar
873
Rep
1,047
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
I will be doing an oil analysis with my Molygen in my car with ~5000 miles on e85 tune, FBO, and we will see if their oil is really as bad as you think it is.
The fact that Molygen does not have any approval, should tell you everything you need to know.
We will see.
__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #98
TideMD
Some random guy
202
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lafayette, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
I will be doing an oil analysis with my Molygen in my car with ~5000 miles on e85 tune, FBO, and we will see if their oil is really as bad as you think it is.
I've used the Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 (mostly due to ease of purchase with the FCP Euro oil change kit) for the last 18k miles or so (3 OCIs), running similar tune/FBO setup. Sent of for UOA each time and Blackstone report showed no detrimental findings (other than evidence of coolant, which was due to charge cooler leak and resolved after mounting the Mishimoto unit).

After reading this thread a few weeks back, ordered Motul Xcess Gen2 for the upcoming oil change. Will be interesting to see how the UOA values trend over the next several OCIs.
__________________
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy1225.00

      04-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #99
edycol
Second Lieutenant
173
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post
I've used the Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 (mostly due to ease of purchase with the FCP Euro oil change kit) for the last 18k miles or so (3 OCIs), running similar tune/FBO setup. Sent of for UOA each time and Blackstone report showed no detrimental findings (other than evidence of coolant, which was due to charge cooler leak and resolved after mounting the Mishimoto unit).

After reading this thread a few weeks back, ordered Motul Xcess Gen2 for the upcoming oil change. Will be interesting to see how the UOA values trend over the next several OCIs.
Please don't forget that UOA is noted designed to tell you how the engine performs with oil, but a state of oil itself. UOA can point to an issue (rod bearings) but to get the full picture, only disassembling engine can tell you that.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 02:57 PM   #100
JamesGames
Major
JamesGames's Avatar
United_States
1148
Rep
1,389
Posts

Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SOCAL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
I will be doing an oil analysis with my Molygen in my car with ~5000 miles on e85 tune, FBO, and we will see if their oil is really as bad as you think it is.
Think you misinterpreted what I was saying. It's not that molygen is "as bad as i I think it is", but it's more that there's oil out there that is readily available, for cheaper, that carries proven, stringent specs. Nothing more, nothing less...

Quote from BITOG regarding A40 approved oil test: "Here is Porsche A40 testing procedure: This test will last 203 hours. The engine, and the oil, will go through: - 4 times the simulation of 35 hours of summer driving, - 4 times the simulation of 13.5 hours of winter driving, - 40 cold starts, - 5 times the simulation of 1-hour sessions on the “Nürburgring” racetrack, - 3.5 hours of “running-in” program Measurements on the engine and on the oil will be done at regular intervals, and the following parameter will be taken into account to grant the approval or not: - torque curve (internal friction), - oxidation of the oil, - Piston cleanliness and ring sticking, - Valve train wear protection. Cam & tappet wear must be less than 10 μm. - Engine cleanliness and sludge: after 203 hours, no deposits must be visible. - Bearing wear protection: visual rating according to Porsche in-house method."

You're UOA will be just fine - but again that really wasn't my point. I just find it HARD to beat oil that can be found everywhere, within minutes from your house, or on amazon for 22-25 bucks per 5 quarts, that most importantly - carries proven stringent specs. And if I'm paying more for oil, my hope is it is more worth it.

Again - not saying molygen is "bad" oil. If I were to bet on your results, I would bet my pot all in that molygen did just fine according to Blackstone.

Last edited by JamesGames; 04-17-2021 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 12:15 PM   #101
edycol
Second Lieutenant
173
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Think you misinterpreted what I was saying. It's not that molygen is "as bad as i I think it is", but it's more that there's oil out there that is readily available, for cheaper, that carries proven, stringent specs. Nothing more, nothing less...

Quote from BITOG regarding A40 approved oil test: "Here is Porsche A40 testing procedure: This test will last 203 hours. The engine, and the oil, will go through: - 4 times the simulation of 35 hours of summer driving, - 4 times the simulation of 13.5 hours of winter driving, - 40 cold starts, - 5 times the simulation of 1-hour sessions on the “Nürburgring” racetrack, - 3.5 hours of “running-in” program Measurements on the engine and on the oil will be done at regular intervals, and the following parameter will be taken into account to grant the approval or not: - torque curve (internal friction), - oxidation of the oil, - Piston cleanliness and ring sticking, - Valve train wear protection. Cam & tappet wear must be less than 10 μm. - Engine cleanliness and sludge: after 203 hours, no deposits must be visible. - Bearing wear protection: visual rating according to Porsche in-house method."

You're UOA will be just fine - but again that really wasn't my point. I just find it HARD to beat oil that can be found everywhere, within minutes from your house, or on amazon for 22-25 bucks per 5 quarts, that most importantly - carries proven stringent specs. And if I'm paying more for oil, my hope is it is more worth it.

Again - not saying molygen is "bad" oil. If I were to bet on your results, I would bet my pot all in that molygen did just fine according to Blackstone.
Don't forget the new addition to Wal Mart: Quaker State Ultra DUrability 5W40(repackaged Pennzoil Euro) that has LL01 and goes for $18 for 5qt.
Appreciate 2
Shadow2104.00
JamesGames1147.50

      04-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #102
MisterF80M3
Major
MisterF80M3's Avatar
873
Rep
1,047
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

I think you guys are forgetting about the FCPEuro lifetime replacement for oil change. You can return used oil and filter and get a replacement free of charge. This route will be significantly cheaper than any Walmart or Kirkland branded oil, IMO.

I personally haven't used their replacement warranty yet but I might try for the next oil change.
__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:22 PM   #103
edycol
Second Lieutenant
173
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
I think you guys are forgetting about the FCPEuro lifetime replacement for oil change. You can return used oil and filter and get a replacement free of charge. This route will be significantly cheaper than any Walmart or Kirkland branded oil, IMO.

I personally haven't used their replacement warranty yet but I might try for the next oil change.
By the time you pay shipment, it is not.
On top of that, Liqui Moly is not going into my engine.

Last edited by edycol; 04-18-2021 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 10:09 PM   #104
MisterF80M3
Major
MisterF80M3's Avatar
873
Rep
1,047
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
By the time you pay shipment, it is not.
On top of that, Liqui Moly is not going into my engine.
I have corporate discount for shipping and according to another thread, you can use PayPal return shipping.

If you aren't happy with your order, we'll provide a free return shipping label or refund the cost of sending it back

To each of their own.
__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 11:56 PM   #105
Shadow2
Second Lieutenant
Shadow2's Avatar
United_States
104
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: '16 MG F80 M3
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Don't forget the new addition to Wal Mart: Quaker State Ultra DUrability 5W40(repackaged Pennzoil Euro) that has LL01 and goes for $18 for 5qt.
Nice catch, this is the way to go imo, I've used the Pennzoil Euro for awhile now but its become harder and harder to find. And for that price its a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #106
edycol
Second Lieutenant
173
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
I have corporate discount for shipping and according to another thread, you can use PayPal return shipping.

If you aren't happy with your order, we'll provide a free return shipping label or refund the cost of sending it back

To each of their own.
Well, great. Except for much better oils out there. But, if that fits your preferences, good.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:39 AM   #107
edycol
Second Lieutenant
173
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow2 View Post
Nice catch, this is the way to go imo, I've used the Pennzoil Euro for awhile now but its become harder and harder to find. And for that price its a no brainer.
Your local Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts have always deal $33 for 5qt. I get Castrol Edge 0W30 there for winters.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 08:04 AM   #108
IVM3
Second Lieutenant
158
Rep
214
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Don't forget the new addition to Wal Mart: Quaker State Ultra DUrability 5W40(repackaged Pennzoil Euro) that has LL01 and goes for $18 for 5qt.
Amazing deal, thanks for sharing! Would you recommend the quaker state euro 5w40 or valvoline euro 5w40 for occasional track use? I do maybe 6-8 half track days per year, but only drive less than 5k miles a year, so I typically only change my oil once a year. Should I also be changing it more often?

Also, it looks like walmart doesn't carry QS ultimate durability 5w40 anymore, just the QS Euro 5w40. I'm wondering if it's the same thing as it is LL01 and porsche A40 rated.

Last edited by IVM3; 04-19-2021 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:43 AM   #109
edycol
Second Lieutenant
173
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVM3 View Post
Amazing deal, thanks for sharing! Would you recommend the quaker state euro 5w40 or valvoline euro 5w40 for occasional track use? I do maybe 6-8 half track days per year, but only drive less than 5k miles a year, so I typically only change my oil once a year. Should I also be changing it more often?

Also, it looks like walmart doesn't carry QS ultimate durability 5w40 anymore, just the QS Euro 5w40. I'm wondering if it's the same thing as it is LL01 and porsche A40 rated.
Uh, tough call.
Quaker State is GTL based, which is cutting-edge technology when it comes to base stocks. However, Valvoline makes super stout oils in this category using hydrocracked base stocks. IMO, since both carry actual Porsche A40 approval, they will do well on track.
Also, do not forget, in N55 and S55 engines LL01 is not that important now. LL01 was updated in 2018 to address N20/26 issues and increase OCI, which eliminated most of 0W oils in the category where HTHS has to be over 3.5.
Castrol 0W40 to me would be go to cheap oil for F80 on track unless you going some boutique oils like Motul Sport or 300V. In reality, you really cannot go wrong with any of these oils. To add, since you are using the car on the street and track, street oils are more desirable and not boutique, like 300V.
As for QS Ultra DUrability or just Euro, it is Pennzoil. Pennzoil is notoriously inconsistent with marketing, PDS, and MSDS. On their website they are now advertising as Quaker State Euro, but the link to PDS takes you to Quaker State Ultra Durability. So, Euro is what they sell now I guess. Maybe that is Pennzoil's attack on Mobil1 and Castrol in Wal Mart, hence price.
Appreciate 1
Shadow2104.00

      04-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #110
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
Walmart Parking Lot's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
315
Posts

Drives: Shopping Cart Comp
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (1)

Walmart FTW!
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST