Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #45
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
2042
Rep
2,761
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GTS
BMW does not sell Driving School cars to public. I'm 99.9999% sure
It would be too much liability on them. JMO
Back in 2006 or so BMW sold a PDC Z8 on EBay Motors.
A Z8? They sold all 30 of the Z8 DE cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #46
gds52
Colonel
gds52's Avatar
802
Rep
2,637
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I think these cars will be good to lease at a discounted rate...that's it...end of lease and you are out!!!
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #47
MachinesWithSouls
Lieutenant Colonel
MachinesWithSouls's Avatar
United_States
2375
Rep
1,693
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

I have to weigh in here. I know these as facts:

Yes, they refurbish them at the school and then sell them at auction.

They can have leather. Most do.

No sticks. DCT only.

Wheel bearings are a large wear point. Most need to be replaced more than once.

If it was me, I wouldn't buy them. They go 2 and even 4 wheels off quite often. People beat these senselessly. And to anyone says "I drive mine the same", no you really don't unless you literally live on a track everyday.
__________________
Pro automotive Photographer
@MachinesWithSouls

2015 F30 335i xDrive, MPPK - Glacier Silver
Appreciate 3
      07-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #48
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
2466
Rep
9,197
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GTS
BMW does not sell Driving School cars to public. I'm 99.9999% sure
It would be too much liability on them. JMO
Back in 2006 or so BMW sold a PDC Z8 on EBay Motors.
A Z8? They sold all 30 of the Z8 DE cars.
Z8 DE? Not sure what DE means.

Anyways, IIRC the photos were taken as the PDC in Greer SC. It was funny at the time because some how someone had a photo of an instructor doing donuts in the car.
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #49
AGAV13
Captain
AGAV13's Avatar
United_States
333
Rep
912
Posts

Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT 860

iTrader: (2)

BMW did the same thing with the 1 Coupe M's back in 2012 after they made their rotation through the M Driving schools. I looked into purchasing one from one from a dealer who purchased 3 of them through auction but the prices were ridiculous (upper $50's for abused vehicles with up to 10k miles). The fact the 1M was manual only scared me as well as they let anyone drive them at the school, whether or not they knew how to drive a manual transmission.
__________________
CURRENT
2017 Boxster S ?718? (07/27/18)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon - (10/28/18)
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #50
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
tastes jigga's Avatar
United_States
293
Rep
339
Posts

Drives: '19 750i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Curious to know why they only run the cars until 5-7k miles
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #51
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Captain Unknown GT4's Avatar
545
Rep
762
Posts

Drives: GT4
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Accually these BMW cars are not at all driver hard. I was doing the BMW M Expert Drivers Training on Nurburgring just now. Belive you me I was sad when I got to drive these M4 CP cars at a pace that 30 seconds slower on the lap than the cars accually can do. There Is always that instructor braking to keep pace slow. And this was the expert drivers training?!!

Wow, my whole experience was like bad due to the pace was so slow. So I would not worry at al. The lesser BMW driving events are not even doing full laps the full day on Nurburgring. Thats only in expert training. Its more section driving and pace is slow on expert and slower on the other events. At full pace Nurburgring wear out cars, but BMW drivers traning is not at any pace where this happen. Also they do accually take well care of the cars, the feelt solid..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #52
redbullfan
Lieutenant
redbullfan's Avatar
United_States
115
Rep
436
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Luxury Line
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Would you guys buy a loaner car from a dealership?? Because I wouldn't, for the first 6k-7k miles they are filled with regular gas. I know this because I was always told to fill regular gas when I used to work at BMW. They also filled regular gas after they pdi new cars which also pissed me off.
__________________
2013 335i XDrive Luxury Line

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #53
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
309
Rep
597
Posts

Drives: 02M3 19X3M40 on order 21 GT4
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Del Mar CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.a.r.k.u.s View Post
I was at M school at Thermal as well and asked them what happens to the cars after they're done with them. They said they go to a dealer auction and get sold there. They did say however that they have to disclose that the car was used for racing.
Maybe Jason can shed some light on it?
Appreciate 1
Jono2112156.00

      07-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #54
BPMSport
BPMSport's Avatar
United_States
2557
Rep
7,299
Posts

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [3.75]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Abused is an understatement. I remember driving multiple cars at thermal with suspension noises and destroyed brakes. Stay away from these. Thanks OP for the heads up.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #55
mjr24
Captain
566
Rep
991
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin/Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Curious....you go into a dealer because you told them you blew your engine or suspension while tracking the car at 120MPH (or because you used launch control 50 times), does the dealer cover those repairs under warranty? Probably not.

Thus, the whole argument that these cars were made to run isn't valid. I would never touch a M-school car unless it was a lease and was under warranty the entire time.
__________________
2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC (sold), 2013 CLS550 (sold), 2011 750LI (sold), 2008 M6 Cabrio (sold), 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 (sold), 2003 Mercedes SL500 (sold), 2000 Mercedes CL500 (sold)
Appreciate 2
Jono2112156.00
pcohen15371.50

      07-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #56
raysspl
Brigadier General
raysspl's Avatar
987
Rep
3,002
Posts

Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Good to know!!!
__________________
re
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #57
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
4070
Rep
10,724
Posts

Drives: 997.1 GT3, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

thanks for these tips, I am in the process of buying a preowned M as well. I'll look for this.

Any tips on whether these cars tend to be DCT or 6MT? Also, any tips on West Coast cars, as BMW also runs the school in the LA area? I doubt registration would be in NJ for these cars.
__________________
08 Speed Yellow 911 GT3 Poverty Spec
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Sports Pkg[

14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, V2 steering wheel, vorsteiner (Sold!)
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #58
classyfast
Banned
654
Rep
2,215
Posts

Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Beaten or not those prices are absolutely terrible (but I disagree with pretty much all the pricing across the 3/4 series). These cars are performance cars meant to perform and drive hard, they aren't some damn driving school Honda civics with bolt-on's! lol some people on here swear an m3/4 is some exotic hyper sports car. Get out of here with that bs, it's a modified 3/4 series most likely still under warranty, take a chance jeez!

Bmw snobbism at its max! Lol.
Appreciate 3
JMD169.50

      07-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #59
classyfast
Banned
654
Rep
2,215
Posts

Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Curious....you go into a dealer because you told them you blew your engine or suspension while tracking the car at 120MPH (or because you used launch control 50 times), does the dealer cover those repairs under warranty? Probably not.

Thus, the whole argument that these cars were made to run isn't valid. I would never touch a M-school car unless it was a lease and was under warranty the entire time.
If you "blow your engine or suspension" and you're car is not heavily modded or stock....chances are new car warranty covers it. You don't think bmw would stand behind it's flagship M car? Lol. Come on. There's threads on here where a dude was tracking, bounced off redline and blew the motor. Bmw replaced. Search for it, you'll see.

It pains me that Honda, Subaru, chevy, Cadillac and some other brands actually encourage track driving and bmw (who rapes us on premium cost for cars) won't stand by their product. Pure bs
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #60
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
Rock Sweden's Avatar
United_States
254
Rep
384
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The ALB

iTrader: (0)

Little disappointed in BMW for selling these cars to the uninformed public. If BMW won't CPO them they know the cars are trashed. It's underhanded AF.
Appreciate 2
Jono2112156.00
lab_rat280.00

      07-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #61
spuntyb
Brigadier General
spuntyb's Avatar
United_States
2490
Rep
4,017
Posts

Drives: 2019 F90 Competition
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Great info. Thanks!

__________________
<b>2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black</b> || <b>2018 Macan GTS</b>

2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #62
qba335i
First Lieutenant
351
Rep
322
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstark46 View Post
Another thing to consider as a warning sign/red flag is the DMV registration in Woodcliff Lake, NJ. This is where BMW NA is located.
Anything from NJ should be a red flag
Appreciate 4
Flying Ace4069.50
minn198811.00

      07-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #63
Tallicia
Private First Class
Tallicia's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: DFW, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Are these cars engineered to withstand enthusiastic usage or are they expected to be treated with kiddie gloves?!
__________________
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #64
Kstark46
Private
Kstark46's Avatar
93
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qba335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstark46 View Post
Another thing to consider as a warning sign/red flag is the DMV registration in Woodcliff Lake, NJ. This is where BMW NA is located.
Anything from NJ should be a red flag
I'll see myself out

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #65
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
2042
Rep
2,761
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GTS
BMW does not sell Driving School cars to public. I'm 99.9999% sure
It would be too much liability on them. JMO
Back in 2006 or so BMW sold a PDC Z8 on EBay Motors.
A Z8? They sold all 30 of the Z8 DE cars.
Z8 DE? Not sure what DE means.

Anyways, IIRC the photos were taken as the PDC in Greer SC. It was funny at the time because some how someone had a photo of an instructor doing donuts in the car.
Z8 Driving Experience

The cars (30) were imported on a Temporary waiver and either had to be destroyed, exported, or Processed for permanent import and duties paid. The latter ended up being the case.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #66
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
Zeroblade's Avatar
United_States
195
Rep
537
Posts

Drives: 2006 Mazda3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Behind the wheel

iTrader: (0)

Those prices are crap.

Even if maintained by BMW mechanic, doesn't erase fact they were beaten around. Yes, they're probably as good or better maintained than someone you don't know. Knowing it's been used the way it was, I expected cheaper. I wonder if they bother doing body work as last M Track day I went to had a Austin Yellow M3 with driver side body damage just under the doors.
__________________
Yea... yea I got an M(azda)3.... <.<

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST