Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #23
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

As a fellow Coloradoan, I can tell you this is a rough environment for nice cars. You can daily your F80 but you will need snow tires or at least all seasons. In my opinion, full PPF is a must. Also plan on needing a windshield replacement at some point. The sand/grit that CDOT uses to treat the roads during snow falls is hell on paint and windshields.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 2
mjponti19.00
heavyD^23684.00
      04-15-2021, 09:28 PM   #24
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Major first world F80 problems, hips so thiccc
Lmao, I look back every time

I think there's only one answer OP: Wife, dogs, RAV4.... choose 2

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 2
mjponti19.00
RugbyBro7574.00
      04-15-2021, 10:05 PM   #25
mjponti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 McLaren 720S, 2021 X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjponti View Post
Very true, the additional cost of insurance and not really using it feels like throwing money away. This is probably a part of moving and living in a place with winter weather that is just setting in for me haha. Appreciate your perspective!
If you do keep it, check with your insurance agent about switching your insurance for the months you are storing. I believe it is effectively just removing the collision coverage and keeping comprehensive on it. That is what I do. Just make sure you call and get it put back to full coverage if you ever need to drive it during this time! It would save you some money.
That's a great idea, also another thing that I didn't think of before!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:10 PM   #26
mjponti
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Bueno View Post
Why would you lease the X4M is my question..

No brainer for me. Return the X4M. Both other cars are paid off and there's absolutely no need for the X4M in Colorado if you have a paid off RAV4. Having a RAV4 and an X4M is like wearing a hat on top of another hat.

I'm going to give you benefit of the doubt and assume you weren't even considering parting ways with that beautiful M3.
It kind of is but the RAV4 is more of the beater in this case, a nice beater though. If we want to go out in the winter or rain, whatever the weather, I'd much prefer to roll around in the X4M and leave the RAV4 in the driveway. I know it's bougie, but I feel we all have a certain level of bougie-ness in this forum
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:17 PM   #27
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Do what makes you happy or your dick hard.

Put the dogs in the M3 or put em in the X4M, you got one life man, worst case scenario you are detailing you interior a bit more often but who cares.

Don't sell a car you don't want to sell because you don't think it fits with whatever lifestyle you think you may have.

If driving the M3 makes you happy you gotta keep the M3.

I wish more people would be a little more selfish in life, we would have a much happier society.
Appreciate 6
RugbyBro7574.00
Kilabyte3942.00
SCS55291.00
FrznM72.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      04-15-2021, 10:20 PM   #28
mjponti
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus View Post
This thread is therapeutic as I’ve been fighting the same demons so my apologies for partially jacking. I got the M3 10 months ago as an impulse decision. Man she’s been good to me. But 5,000 miles over the period as my daily driver has me wondering why I need this car. Add in that all I do is go to soccer fields with bags of equipment and park where mindless little bastards, aka kids, are piling out of minivans denting whatever’s in their path and the M3 became downright exhausting. So I came up with this plan to lease an X5.

I fell in love with it and now know for my lifestyle (extremely bad back, can’t stand hand washing the M and those fucking devil wheels) the X5 is the right vehicle. I haven’t started the M since the X5 arrived. But for whatever reason I can’t part with the M. She’s like a work of art. My brother gave me some great advice. Only make the decision after it’s been warm outside and you’ve driven it recently. As the poster above said, even with these ridiculous financial decisions I’m making, I have no regrets. We are very fortunate to experience these cars. Best of luck Op. My vote is ditch the rav 4
You're absolutely correct, we are very fortunate to be able to experience these cars. Sounds to me like you're going to be letting your M3 go at some point. X5 just takes care of everything for you. Does it fill the void you might have for overall performance and other cosmetics like exhaust sound, stance, etc? I think that's where I'm going to have a hard time letting go if I do.

I feel like after all of this, I'll probably have to hang onto the M3 until AT LEAST the end of this summer. Probably a dumb time to get the new X4MC but oh well. I'm pretty much addicted to BMW at this point
Appreciate 1
djacinto343.00
      04-15-2021, 10:34 PM   #29
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Put the dogs in the M3 or put em in the X4M, you got one life man, worst case scenario you are detailing you interior a bit more often but who cares.
Can confirm F8x makes for an excellent doggo transportation apparatus
Attached Images

04-15-2021, 11:38 PM   #30
G-Ram
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

If the main family wagons are paid for, and this is a toy.. and IF you can afford the payments/insurane.. keep all 3.
Wife has a C43, I have a F-350 Platty and just picked up the M4 for hauling the clubs to the course haha.
Hey, can't have a collection if you don't have more than one !!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 11:48 PM   #31
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

What about all the paint issues with the new x3/4ms!? Totally unacceptable imho.
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00
      04-16-2021, 12:18 AM   #32
mjponti
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
What about all the paint issues with the new x3/4ms!? Totally unacceptable imho.
Is this true with 2021 models? I'm guessing I'll get PPF but maybe not right away.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:19 AM   #33
Eurosonly
car addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

also remember that f80 values are solid and the used car market is going up so no reason to really sell. its not just f80s also all of the f8x are jumping up! also daily the m3 they are made to do everything!

euros
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00
      04-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #34
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbers201788 View Post
Lol. Can you elaborate? Are you regretting paying in cash full? Or just car purchase in general? I would agree paying for used car in cash in today's low interest environment is bad idea
I'm not regretting anything just that the money could have been better spent or invested elsewhere.
      04-16-2021, 09:27 AM   #35
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Is this true with 2021 models? I'm guessing I'll get PPF but maybe not right away.
I was looking at x3ms and read the horrendous thread about the paint adhesion on all plastic bits from the factory. Hopefully the '21 are resolved.
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00
      04-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #36
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
I was looking at x3ms and read the horrendous thread about the paint adhesion on all plastic bits from the factory. Hopefully the '21 are resolved.
This is not an issue that plagues all of them but for whatever reason there has been an issue of paint adhesion on the plastic parts on some batches. I have a 2020 Toronto Red and have zero peeling as the paint has held up well over two Canadian winters as it's not like every owner is having these issues as it seems to be contained to certain builds. I would like to think that BMW has got to the bottom of this because in 2021 I believe auto manufacturers should be able to get issues like this under control.
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00
      04-17-2021, 01:09 PM   #37
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Quote:
I couldn't help myself and just leased an X4M Comp that will be delivered next week. (Chose the X4 instead of X3 because of the wife's preference.) Super excited nonetheless.

Here's my dilemma, I just moved to Colorado from California, and now my F80 won't be leaving the garage for half of the year most likely. Our other car is a Toyota RAV4 that we use for dirty jobs, taking the dogs places, driving to trails, etc. If I were to trade or sell one, which one should it be? I love my F80, do I dare part ways? If I kept it, should I just be ok with doing some dirty jobs in the X4?

I feel like I know the answer to some of these questions but am avoiding the reality . Feel free to call me an idiot or whatever! Haha

Side note: both of the other vehicles are paid off if that makes any difference here.
I'll add my 2 cents here.

I've had prior M cars.

From my perspective, its the long running argument between practicality vs. fun. The internal struggle between the heart and the mind. The mind is telling you to be practical but the heart tugs the other way.

There really is no right answer. To me, it boils down to the individual.
I sold my prior M car when the kids came around; we only had 2 cars then and I could not fit car seats in the M and even if I could squeeze them in, it would be a back breaker.

As kids came and seasons passed, I did the practical thing, getting utility cars and treating cars essentially as appliances. But in my heart, there was always that love of owning and driving a high performance car in tracks and canyon runs. Every time I saw a M3, especially the F8x gen. or P car (S, 4S, Turbo) I'd do a double take. (the E9x didn't do it for me aesthetically).

We now have 3 cars, just like your setup. The M3 is my fun, our short road trip car. I get to bring my kids in it and have fun and make memories. I did consider the 911, but its sorta of selfish car and more impractical. Its more involving for sure, but at the end, its really a 2 seater. You *might* seat 4 but forget road trips. Not happening unless you put racks on it and even then.

The way I look at it, if you really love your car and are ok with the additional expense, keep it. I sold my M3 and sort of regretted it for years as it was getting harder and harder to get a good conditioned one. There are really very few 4 door sedans out that match the F8x in looks, performance, rawness (yes I know, there prior gens can be argued to be more involving), trackability (should you want that) and just plain utility. This to me is the magic formula that BMW got right with this platform.

As an aside, I went to the dealer 2 days ago to service the car and the first thing I got was comments on how the car looked from the BMW staff there.

We're on the edge of a transition to EVs. Very soon, most of these cars will not be readily available even if you wanted to get one. And you'd have to compromise on condition if you did unless you paid up.
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00
      04-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #38
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Of all the snowy parts of the US, Colorado is actually where you can use an M the most

It snows all the way into May, but the temperature quickly rises in between snowfalls and melts everything.
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00
      04-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #39
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Of all those cars the X4M is the most disposable. Renege on the lease, swap it later or just suck it up for the lease term and give it back.

The X4 will not equal the F80 on performance and driving pleasure, and does not offer more utility than the other two. But its worst sin is making you give up a car that you own, for a car that you're renting
Appreciate 2
icegrill2078.00
mjponti19.00
      04-18-2021, 02:24 AM   #40
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
If the M3 is paid off - why not just keep it?
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00
      04-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #41
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Of all those cars the X4M is the most disposable. Renege on the lease, swap it later or just suck it up for the lease term and give it back.

The X4 will not equal the F80 on performance and driving pleasure, and does not offer more utility than the other two. But its worst sin is making you give up a car that you own, for a car that you're renting
Well the X4M is faster to but driving pleasure likely the F80.
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00
      04-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #42
mjponti
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
If the M3 is paid off - why not just keep it?
I think it's just more about knowing it's not necessarily practical in my situation and is a chunk of change sitting there. The X4 definitely won't be as satisfying though, but I'm going to give it a shot.
Appreciate 0