Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-17-2020, 09:41 PM   #23
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATTES View Post
Lol waiting for your feedback
I’ll let you know but I went through two other Intakes and hopefully these will work.

First intake I bought were VRSF and they didnt fit well. VRSF then sent me updated pipes and it fit better but the MAF sensor still kept hitting the CF strut. Sold it.

Then I bought the Injen short ram with heat shield intake and I kept getting the startup idling Issues so I just gave them to my friend. Could be my car.

Now the SSR with mesh filters. Lets see how they work!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #24
LATTES
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LATTES View Post
Lol waiting for your feedback
I’ll let you know but I went through two other Intakes and hopefully these will work.

First intake I bought were VRSF and they didnt fit well. VRSF then sent me updated pipes and it fit better but the MAF sensor still kept hitting the CF strut. Sold it.

Then I bought the Injen short ram with heat shield intake and I kept getting the startup idling Issues so I just gave them to my friend. Could be my car.

Now the SSR with mesh filters. Lets see how they work!
Actually I'm looking at the turner intake as well, the carbon looks sick, also have heat shields
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #25
Rhedrick17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F82 M4

I have had the SSR intakes on for 2 weeks and have zero idle issues.

All aluminum intakes are going to rub on the passenger side a little bit, would hardly say thats a reason not to buy one brand vs another. ( I had BMS on an my last F80 and did the same thing)

the sound is basically the only reason to get intakes on this car and Im a huge fan of the way these sound, I do have the cotton filters because I live in FL and there always seems to be sand on the roads.

completely different sounding car with these on I love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #26
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Think I'm gonna grab these SSR's and wrap them in carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #27
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR Performance View Post
Thanks for all the input everyone!! I seriously love hearing all of your thoughts.

Just so everyone is aware, we do offer our intakes with two different filter options. One is the stainless steel filter option for non dusty environments. They still filter great and we have multiple customers with over 60k miles on them without any issues whatsoever (these are much louder and make the cool sounds everyone loves).

Then we also offer the traditional style 6 layer oiled cotton filters for higher levels of filtration (they still sound GREAT but are not as loud as the stainless steel filters).

With that said, the reason we offer the option is so that the customer can choose exactly the setup that THEY are comfortable with and the option that is more well suited to the environment of where the car will be driven. Due to the fact that there is much more air available with our filters as opposed to OEM filters the AFR's on cold start ON A TUNED CAR ONLY may be a little lean and all it takes is a little blip of the pedal to keep the idle from fluctuating on cold starts. We have not seen issues like this on stock tune vehicles.

We take great pride in this product and have had AMAZING feedback from all of our customers from all around the world. HUGE thank you to those of you talking about your experiences with our products! I really do appreciate it.

You can learn more about the product here:
https://www.ssrperformance.com/colle...ucts/package-1

Shah @ SSR Performance
Any sales for forum members pm me??
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #28
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
Any sales for forum members pm me??
Give them a call
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #29
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep

Also the dry fitters do they come in different colors or only grey??
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #30
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Honestly, for their price point USA made the quality and fit and looks and sound are pretty killer.

You are comparing $500 intakes to $2500 intakes...

There’s no issues that the comparison intakes don’t have and any issue they have is definitely from installation issues. If anything less issues SSR lifetime warranties all their products nothing is outsourced.
Is it confirmed they’re made in USA? I like the work SSR does but Honestly, these intakes look like $50 Chinese made Ali baba intakes. I wouldn’t put it on if it was free.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #31
SSR Performance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: S55 -F80 / N54 -135i / N55-535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcrf250r View Post
Is it confirmed they’re made in USA? I like the work SSR does but Honestly, these intakes look like $50 Chinese made Ali baba intakes. I wouldn’t put it on if it was free.
100% confirmed they are made in the USA. Right here in SoCal, in fact. I will be more than happy to post some videos of myself with our fabricator the next time we have these in production.

Shah @ SSR Performance
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:07 PM   #32
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR Performance View Post
100% confirmed they are made in the USA. Right here in SoCal, in fact. I will be more than happy to post some videos of myself with our fabricator the next time we have these in production.

Shah @ SSR Performance
Only color is grey for the dry filters??
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 03:57 AM   #33
MPRSSD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 6mt

Just installed these on my 2018 M3, I purchased a used set from Facebook market place for $380 shipped. I just can't get myself to pay full price on aluminum pipes, to each their own I guess.

Install/Fitment: Install took literally 30 minutes with most of the time spent just unbolting the stock intake, could be less now that I am familiar with the process. The overall fitment was tight on the passenger side, but overall perfect with zero rubbing. Note: I did not have the originally supplied tape because these were purchased used.

Sound: Good lord they bring out the turbo whoosh sounds. I am completely stock apart from this intake. Zero regrets purchasing these second hand. Will try to capture some videos tomorrow and share on here.

Final thoughts: Recommend the purchase, overall great quality and fitment. Zero performance gains, but I will be keeping them for sound. My car sounded lifeless before this upgrade. Let's hope it gets even better after the M-Performance exhaust is installed next week.
Appreciate 4
ra2289305.50
jpy19801581.50
LATTES18.50
      06-24-2020, 12:33 AM   #34
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I just installed the SSR Intakes and may need some direction on the passenger side Intake.

My passenger side intake feels loose like the pipe has some play and not tight. The intake filter does hit the CF strut and is up against the wiring loom. I put foam tape on both parts. If I could get the 10mm bolt that connects the passenger intake tight enough where it doesn't move, I think it will help, but there is a rubber grommet there that lets that pipe have some play.

Any suggestions? To the people with this intake, are you able to jiggle your passenger side intake a bit? I don't think it will cause an issue with performance but it is disconcerting. I drove the car after the install and it does sound sweet, but I heard at times the intake knocking on the CF brace.

I think I had this same issue with the VRSF intake but that fit horribly. At least the maf sensor doesnt hit the CF brace on the SSR intake. These floating intake pipes worry me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #35
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Would suggest removing those stainless filters as they provide almost zero filtering.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #36
Jwild90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04'E46ZHP 20' F82M4Comp

Quote:
So I just installed the SSR Intakes and may need some direction on the passenger side Intake.

My passenger side intake feels loose like the pipe has some play and not tight. The intake filter does hit the CF strut and is up against the wiring loom. I put foam tape on both parts. If I could get the 10mm bolt that connects the passenger intake tight enough where it doesn't move, I think it will help, but there is a rubber grommet there that lets that pipe have some play.

Any suggestions? To the people with this intake, are you able to jiggle your passenger side intake a bit? I don't think it will cause an issue with performance but it is disconcerting. I drove the car after the install and it does sound sweet, but I heard at times the intake knocking on the CF brace.

I think I had this same issue with the VRSF intake but that fit horribly. At least the maf sensor doesnt hit the CF brace on the SSR intake. These floating intake pipes worry me
you sure you got it down far enough where clamp is holding to the intake tube? mine is on pretty good and does not hit wires or cf brace
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:51 PM   #37
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwild90 View Post
you sure you got it down far enough where clamp is holding to the intake tube? mine is on pretty good and does not hit wires or cf brace
Thanks for the suggestion. I do need to readjust it, just been super busy.

I'll readjust the intake once I get back home. Maybe I'll just take off the whole inlet itself and install the intake pipe and couple that way and put it back on the turbo. That should make things much easier!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #38
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Would suggest removing those stainless filters as they provide almost zero filtering.
Thanks for the message and concern Tom! I just ordered their cotton filters so I have that option as well. I probably will just reinstall the oem intakes back on for long trips and or track events.
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8114.50
      06-29-2020, 09:24 PM   #39
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
What is a good replacement for the mesh cones? any good paper options? and anyone have any idea which filter cones will fit the ssr pipes? 4"? there is not much info out there on the filtering capabilities of stainless steel filters, seems like just opinions. I can say that I changed my oil after 4 mths, maybe 2k miles and the oil was really black after only 2k miles, definitely not scientific, but could be a sign that i need better air filtering. I live in a pretty clean area.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #40
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna66 View Post
What is a good replacement for the mesh cones? any good paper options? and anyone have any idea which filter cones will fit the ssr pipes? 4"? there is not much info out there on the filtering capabilities of stainless steel filters, seems like just opinions. I can say that I changed my oil after 4 mths, maybe 2k miles and the oil was really black after only 2k miles, definitely not scientific, but could be a sign that i need better air filtering. I live in a pretty clean area.
IMHO - I wouldn't run any open intake, there's no proven power from doing so.

At least run a oiled cotton-gauze if one must feel inclined to do so. Leave the stainless screens for draining spaghetti.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
NORAGRETS440.50
      06-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #41
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRSSD View Post
Just installed these on my 2018 M3, I purchased a used set from Facebook market place for $380 shipped. I just can't get myself to pay full price on aluminum pipes, to each their own I guess.

Install/Fitment: Install took literally 30 minutes with most of the time spent just unbolting the stock intake, could be less now that I am familiar with the process. The overall fitment was tight on the passenger side, but overall perfect with zero rubbing. Note: I did not have the originally supplied tape because these were purchased used.

Sound: Good lord they bring out the turbo whoosh sounds. I am completely stock apart from this intake. Zero regrets purchasing these second hand. Will try to capture some videos tomorrow and share on here.

Final thoughts: Recommend the purchase, overall great quality and fitment. Zero performance gains, but I will be keeping them for sound. My car sounded lifeless before this upgrade. Let's hope it gets even better after the M-Performance exhaust is installed next week.
$479 for intakes is more than fair, IMO, compared to $1000 for a midpipe or $3000 for an axle back (Active autoworke).
      06-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #42
SSR Performance
United_States
Rep

Drives: S55 -F80 / N54 -135i / N55-535

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna66 View Post
I doubt that the color of your oil would have much, if anything, to do with the filtering from your intake. However, if it makes you more comfortable to switch to a traditional style oiled cotton filter then we have that option for you

You can buy our 6 layer cotton filter option. We offer them just as filters alone. You can purchase them here and swap them for the steel ones that are on your car currently:

https://www.ssrperformance.com/produ...56ae7014&_ss=r

Thanks!

Shah @ SSR Performance
Appreciate 1
sna66507.50
      06-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #43
c4ss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT

Leave the stainless filters. Woosh is lyfe.
Appreciate 2
sna66507.50
NORAGRETS440.50
      04-05-2022, 11:47 PM   #44
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Quote:

Reviving this...

So I have the same issue, BUT I also had the same issue when I was running a CAI on my E82...ended up adding some stainless washers on top of the rubber grommet/washer and it tightened it up a LITTLE bit...Im going to fabricate something to get it tighter, because although it isn't likely doing any damage Im too anal to sit idly by and do nothing.

I may throw a snake drive band clamp on it or see if I can get a V band that will fit around the lower section of the intake to secure it.

Ultimately, I will likely revert to the stock/another aftermarket sealed intake because although the SSR SOUNDS GREAT!!!! Hot and humid summers in New England, sitting in traffic at a dead stop, I am more than positive I will have some idle issues. I had the same problems with a CAI on my E82 on hot days (bouncing rev's, shuddering etc). Reverted to the stock box and never had another problem.

SSR makes great stuff for sure, but my personal opinion is that the OEM boxes or some other sealed intake system with a high flow filter is the BEST option.

I also have the steel mesh and the red oiled filters for the SSR. Mesh sounds amazing, so does the oiled filters...SSR thumbs up, just my opinion the sealed boxes are best

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0