GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

2017 M4 Lease End help

Hello,

My M4 is two months away from lease end. It's in immaculate condition and has only 23k miles on it. Due to a job change I didn't drive it as much I originally planned so I am falling very short on my 45k lease mileage.

KBB shows a trade in value of $46k (average) and BMW shows my residual at $41k.

What options do I have other than returning the car and getting tiny credit for low mileage.

Thank you all in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #2
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBeamer View Post
Hello,

My M4 is two months away from lease end. It's in immaculate condition and has only 23k miles on it. Due to a job change I didn't drive it as much I originally planned so I am falling very short on my 45k lease mileage.

What options do I have other than returning the car and getting tiny credit for low mileage.

Buy it
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Hello,

You buy it at $41K, then you sell it at $46K. Then you pocket $5K for that mileage difference.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
You buy it at $41K, then you sell it at $46K. Then you pocket $5K for that mileage difference.
That's more hypothetical. Don't forget you have to pay sales tax on the 41K and so the price difference is less, assuming you can actually get the KBB value of 46K.

Go around and ask dealers for a trade in value a month before you trade it in so you have an idea of the actual price.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Go to Carmax and see what they offer. They have surprised me in the past. I'm wondering though, how much is the miles credit?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
WESTCOASTTRADING
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Coupe

oh definitely buy it for sure.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2019, 03:43 AM   #7
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Go to Carmax and see what they offer. They have surprised me in the past. I'm wondering though, how much is the miles credit?
The miles credit is completely ridiculous at $300. We just returned my wife's 340 in a couple months back with 15000 "extra" miles. That's all they give.
Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
      07-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #8
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10biie89 View Post
oh definitely buy it for sure.
Any options to workout an extended warranty or maintenance with the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
The miles credit is completely ridiculous at $300. We just returned my wife's 340 in a couple months back with 15000 "extra" miles. That's all they give.
You guys didn't want to buy it?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #10
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
You guys didn't want to buy it?
Nope. I looked into buying it then reselling it but once you factor the taxes that need to be paid it wasn't worth it. Plus we have an 8 month old and the wifey wanted an SUV. I'm not an SUV fan (don't get Americans infatuation) but I gave in. She's loves the ///M cars and is cool with me driving my "race car" so I let her have the mommy mobile
Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
      07-18-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Any advice around being able to workout a certified preowned back from the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #12
WESTCOASTTRADING
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Any options to workout an extended warranty or maintenance with the dealer?
oh they will try to sell all of the options they can sell it to you when you are trying to buy out your lease end.
Unless you absolutely love your car try how much you can actually make some money since your market value of the car is well above the residual.
I would love to be in your shoes
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #13
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

i would go to carmax and see what theyll give you. i agree it sucks that we dont get any kind of credit for mileage not used considering we pay for it......
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #14
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
i would go to carmax and see what theyll give you. i agree it sucks that we dont get any kind of credit for mileage not used considering we pay for it......
Do anyone know if Carmax can handle the entire closing if the deal? Like do I have to pay and buy it out before they can? I thought only I was able to buy the car at the end...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Do anyone know if Carmax can handle the entire closing if the deal? Like do I have to pay and buy it out before they can? I thought only I was able to buy the car at the end...
carmax will handle everything and give you a check if there is equity. not sure if carvana exist out there but heard their quotes are not bad either, u can obtain one on their website.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #16
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
Unsure of Carmax but I know Vroom will buy the car and will just cut you a check if it's more than the payoff.
It's really simple, all you have to do is upload some photos onto their website and they send you a quote - you either accept or not and if you don't, they don't bother you again.
If you accept, they fedex you paperwork and you send it back. Then they send a tow truck to take your car within a week or so.
I've sold an Audi s3 and my brother sold an ml350 and he got $5k back.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #17
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

FYI, the miles credit maxes out at $300 and is only good if you enter into a new contract with BMWFS. Regardless of miles, if you enter a new lease they will also waive the $350 disposition fee.

I'm in the same boat. My lease is up in 2 weeks, and I'm 15K under miles.
      08-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #18
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am at the point of either Carmax or buy it. Leaning to buy it as I don't have another car that I like enough to pay more $. My only concern is reliability. It's been great but great is because I had two wried issues taken care of by warranty.

1. My AC stopped working at around 15k miles. They said they replaced the compressor , I didn't pay much attention since I had no plan to keep it beyond the lease at that point

2. At 20k my front strut (left) started making a loud clank under braking and they had to replace it

So... it's not even been completely bulletproof .. I am a little worried buying it out and keeping it long term
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 08:35 AM   #19
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
I am at the point of either Carmax or buy it. Leaning to buy it as I don't have another car that I like enough to pay more $. My only concern is reliability. It's been great but great is because I had two wried issues taken care of by warranty.

1. My AC stopped working at around 15k miles. They said they replaced the compressor , I didn't pay much attention since I had no plan to keep it beyond the lease at that point

2. At 20k my front strut (left) started making a loud clank under braking and they had to replace it

So... it's not even been completely bulletproof .. I am a little worried buying it out and keeping it long term
I understand your concerns about the car. This 2 issues seem kind of minor and were able to get fixed quickly I assume. If you feel that you will be uneasy owning the car sell it and get another one. You're in the positive so you have more going for you.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #20
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:

That's not too bad in terms of repairs. My last car was a nightmare!

I had the following replaced:

1) Rocker Arms was scaring camshafts (Engine Needed to be dropped)
2) AVCS sensor oil leak (Engine needed to be dropped)
3) Camshaft, Sprocket, and ECU replacement due to CEL and jump in timing (Engine needed to be dropped)
4) ABS Actuator Failure (loss of ABS Brake and car would not start)
5) Driver window alignment arms replaced due to scratching of Driver Window
6) Driver Window replaced due to scratch
7) ECU needed reflash - Idle dropped to below 500 and caused stalling problems (Car was automatic)
8) Replaced the battery 3 times within 5 years

This was a Scion FR-S made by Subaru. POS....

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #21
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:

That's not too bad in terms of repairs. My last car was a nightmare!

I had the following replaced:

1) Rocker Arms was scaring camshafts (Engine Needed to be dropped)
2) AVCS sensor oil leak (Engine needed to be dropped)
3) Camshaft, Sprocket, and ECU replacement due to CEL and jump in timing (Engine needed to be dropped)
4) ABS Actuator Failure (loss of ABS Brake and car would not start)
5) Driver window alignment arms replaced due to scratching of Driver Window
6) Driver Window replaced due to scratch
7) ECU needed reflash - Idle dropped to below 500 and caused stalling problems (Car was automatic)
8) Replaced the battery 3 times within 5 years

This was a Scion FR-S made by Subaru. POS....
I thought that was your M4, scared me !!! Lol
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #22
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
I thought that was your M4, scared me !!! Lol
LOL. We will see what happens with the M4....

But yup, terrible build quality on Toyota/Subaru's part!

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0