EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

08-08-2018, 02:23 AM   #1
osracing
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW 1er Coupé

M3 or Cayman S

We helped shoot a video for PKProject - Czech car garage. They tuned their cars with great components and we had to try on a racetrack!

Appreciate 2
      08-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

M3 all day for me. Just my opinion, but the Cayman/Boxster has zero road presence. If we're only talking a track weapon it's a different story, but for a daily M3 no contest for me.
Appreciate 1
stormlv932.00
      08-11-2018, 02:17 AM   #3
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
M3 all day for me. Just my opinion, but the Cayman/Boxster has zero road presence. If we're only talking a track weapon it's a different story, but for a daily M3 no contest for me.
Couldn't disagree more. The M3 easily passes as just another 3 series whereas the Boxster/Cayman sticks out as fun Porsche cars. Most people can't tell the difference between a 320d and an M3.

For daily purposes - yes the M3 serves that purpose significantly better.. it is after all a 4 door sedan with a big boot.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 05:46 AM   #4
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Couldn't disagree more. The M3 easily passes as just another 3 series whereas the Boxster/Cayman sticks out as fun Porsche cars. Most people can't tell the difference between a 320d and an M3.

For daily purposes - yes the M3 serves that purpose significantly better.. it is after all a 4 door sedan with a big boot.
And I couldn't disagree with this more. The M3 where I have lived has a lot of road presence. Literally everywhere we go people turn heads. My previous 335 and wife's 320, not one person ever looked at our cars.

As far tastes, I think the M3 has more road presence than the Porsche because it looks different and more special looking/aggressive than a regular 3 series (wider fender flares etc). To most people, Porsche's look like a Porsche. I'm not going to lie, there was a period in my life that I couldn't tell the difference between two door Porsche's and thought they were all the same model. But even now, no one will know you have a GTS over an S or a base just by looking at it. Ppl know it's not a regular 3 series by looking at an M3. And as for a "fun Porsche car" most people probably think - look at that douche in a Porsche. Part of that is jealousy part of it is that some Porsche owners (although not all) that most people interact with are huge douchebags. The average BMW driver (mother who wants a nice car, father who wants to feel german, kids who have wealthy parents) in contrast is usually not (barring some clearly huge exceptions).

Then again this is all subjective and experience based, so we are comparing two different perspectives that don't have to line up.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 3
NickyC17448.00
stormlv932.00
      08-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

For the F80, color determines the level of road presence. MG doesn't get a ton of attention.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
bringbacklsb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 LSB M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
For the F80, color determines the level of road presence. MG doesn't get a ton of attention.
I couldn't agree more. Color choice can turn an M3 from a nice looking, aggressive sedan into a borderline exotic. M Performance parts help as well.
      08-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

718 GTS for me for my next car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Cayman S is my next car.... And Cayman S in a bright color definitely has road presence. Driving it makes you feel like a hero.

I've had my F80 not even a year and am bored as hell with it. I don't really like the car at all. I've owned every M3 and this is the one I've liked the least...it's way too clinical for my taste.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
F80zcp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Tanzanite F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
Cayman S is my next car.... And Cayman S in a bright color definitely has road presence. Driving it makes you feel like a hero.
Miami Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80zcp View Post

Miami Blue
Yes!! Miami blue is amazing... But I love speed yellow too
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
tebbnsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post

This Clown says the M3 looks like a regular 3 series lol! That’s a laugh buddy! You are a real joker! It must be the super wide rear wheel arches, front fenders, carbon roof and huge wheels that make it look the same lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #12
DonutRanger
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Miami Blue

What about a Miami Blue F80?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #13
tebbnsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutRanger View Post
SICK Choice! But I still think it just looks like a regular 3 series lol!! JK
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #14
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Interesting they used a 987 Cayman vs a 981.......Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #15
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutRanger View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Miami Blue

More pics!! I love that color.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 05:17 AM   #16
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebbnsx View Post
This Clown says the M3 looks like a regular 3 series lol! That’s a laugh buddy! You are a real joker! It must be the super wide rear wheel arches, front fenders, carbon roof and huge wheels that make it look the same lol.
Am I really the clown when you're the one that can't read? I said the M3 can pass as a 3 series, not that they aren't different or look the same. To the layman, the wider rear and other distinguishable aspects aren't as noticeable and as a result - it doesn't command as much road presence. Most car enthusiasts know and can understand an M3 and yes, it is special - but at the end of the day it's fairly similar to a 3 series and so it can pass as a 3 series to most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
And I couldn't disagree with this more. The M3 where I have lived has a lot of road presence. Literally everywhere we go people turn heads. My previous 335 and wife's 320, not one person ever looked at our cars.

As far tastes, I think the M3 has more road presence than the Porsche because it looks different and more special looking/aggressive than a regular 3 series (wider fender flares etc). To most people, Porsche's look like a Porsche. I'm not going to lie, there was a period in my life that I couldn't tell the difference between two door Porsche's and thought they were all the same model. But even now, no one will know you have a GTS over an S or a base just by looking at it. Ppl know it's not a regular 3 series by looking at an M3. And as for a "fun Porsche car" most people probably think - look at that douche in a Porsche. Part of that is jealousy part of it is that some Porsche owners (although not all) that most people interact with are huge douchebags. The average BMW driver (mother who wants a nice car, father who wants to feel german, kids who have wealthy parents) in contrast is usually not (barring some clearly huge exceptions).

Then again this is all subjective and experience based, so we are comparing two different perspectives that don't have to line up.
I spent a year in an Atlantis M3 and received plenty of thumbs up and respect from those that knew what it was. In retrospect, a lot of people were just loving the colour more than anything else and didn't really say anything about the actual car. I drove a silver Cayman 718 for 4 days while my GT3 was being serviced and got a significant amount of unwanted attention and people giving me a thumbs up/looks on the highway. Though limited experience, I'd have to say the road presence is heightened on the Cayman over the F80 M3. I'm not saying the M3 doesn't have any by a long shot, but it just doesn't feel like it's as much as a Cayman. Again, this is my own experience and I'm sure others have something different or even the complete opposite.

It also might be a location thing, but M cars in general have become fairly popular in the tri-state area. I have to reiterate this - to the layman the M3 doesn't have quite as much presence as the Cayman. To this day, I still don't care for any Cayman/Boxster unless it's the Boxster Spyder or the GT4, whereas I'll go out of my way to give a thumbs up to an M3/M4 despite the fact that I'm in a Porsche. The M3 has plenty of road presence, but I just don't think if most people see both of them on the highway while passing by them at the same time, that they'd look at the M3 more than the Cayman is all. Those that know though - a completely different story.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0