Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-04-2016, 01:36 AM   #67
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Much easier than unplugging the valves: remove the 2 fuses (#146 and #147) in the trunk . You still need to start the engine, ensure the engine is sufficiently warmed up and put it in Sport (or Sport+) to get the valves to open. Once they are open, just remove the fuses and the valves will stay open. No connectors to tape up and also very easy to reactivate the valves by syimply putting the fuses back in .

And no, no loss of low end torque. This is a turbo engine .

BTW, your car looks great. I have a soft side for SSII, and the 666M look pretty good with it. The CP seats are also sweet in SS. Congrats !!!
thanks mate. Or do as Wills said and push start button without brake, put in sp+, push accelerator pedal then valves will be open. Then remove fuses... Will a fault show up if either fuses are removed or plug disconnected?

The wheels are really growing on me. But I'm considering powder coating them dark gray. Have you seen any in US/ Canada who have done this to 666 M wheels yet? I don't want to regret it and they look smaller, so be good to see an example before I go for it... Maybe just a photoshopped pic of dark 666s on SSii...?

Do you think gloss black 666 wheels would go well or be too much black/ shine?
My incoming car is also SS and I'm highly likely to have the satans coated black. I'm also looking for the pics. I saw some recent M5 test mules were running wheels in black.looked good IMO but impulse cars always look a bit messy.
      04-04-2016, 01:41 AM   #68
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris View Post
My incoming car is also SS and I'm highly likely to have the satans coated black. I'm also looking for the pics. I saw some recent M5 test mules were running wheels in black.looked good IMO but impulse cars always look a bit messy.
Oh really... Are you going gloss black or Matt black? Are you going for the entire wheel in black or just the insides?
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:46 AM   #69
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex
Quote:
Oh really... Are you going gloss black or Matt black? Are you going for the entire wheel in black or just the insides?
Thinking about the whole wheel, but the insides was something else I was considering, just leaving he silver I'm and outer this surfaces it might look a little like 405Ms

A local place does a special on gloss blacks each Fruday, I need to pop over with a picture for some options.
      04-04-2016, 02:17 AM   #70
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Thinking about the whole wheel, but the insides was something else I was considering, just leaving he silver I'm and outer this surfaces it might look a little like 405Ms

A local place does a special on gloss blacks each Fruday, I need to pop over with a picture for some options.
Interestingly enough, I was wondering on this when I originally ordered the CP as I couldn't get on the wheels at first so looked at my options.

I did a bit of Photoshopping to get close to what I thought mine would like with the wheels and then make them a bit darker.
Attached Images

San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 02:26 AM   #71
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Here you go....
Attached Images

San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2016, 02:47 AM   #72
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Brilliant, thanks Guy gtsussex if you have time in the week please could you try gloss black?
      04-04-2016, 02:55 AM   #73
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Interestingly enough, I was wondering on this when I originally ordered the CP as I couldn't get on the wheels at first so looked at my options.

I did a bit of Photoshopping to get close to what I thought mine would like with the wheels and then make them a bit darker.
Looks awesome!! Definitely the darker wheels get my vote.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:58 AM   #74
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Brilliant, thanks Guy gtsussex if you have time in the week please could you try gloss black?
This any good (sorry my Photoshop skills aren't brilliant!)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 03:09 AM   #75
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Pretty handy Guy, thanks again that was quick! I think it would work for my tastes, especially for me on the CP as there's no eternal silvery/chrome bits now at all. Everyone has differing opinions though of course, many hate dark alloys.

I've always liked them but never before owned a totally blacked out wheel. The 405M look was perfect to my eye on the little M235i and I think a blacked inside with all outer edges left silver might be a best combo. That diamond shape near the wheel centre would look quite nice I think. Decisions Decisions.

I'm certain someone in the states will be doing this now/asap as they're the modding kings, especially when it comes to wheels! I doubt it will be a long wait till real life pics appear.
      04-04-2016, 03:18 AM   #76
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Pretty handy Guy, thanks again that was quick! I think it would work for my tastes, especially for me on the CP as there's no eternal silvery/chrome bits now at all. Everyone has differing opinions though of course, many hate dark alloys.

I've always liked them but never before owned a totally blacked out wheel. The 405M look was perfect to my eye on the little M235i and I think a blacked inside with all outer edges left silver might be a best combo. That diamond shape near the wheel centre would look quite nice I think. Decisions Decisions.

I'm certain someone in the states will be doing this now/asap as they're the modding kings, especially when it comes to wheels! I doubt it will be a long wait till real life pics appear.
I have the matt blank 624m 20s on my car now, whilst I like them they are a pain to keep clean, much worse than silver / grey wheels. Brake dust shows a lot worse on the black.

Just something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 03:36 AM   #77
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy
Quote:

I have the matt blank 624m 20s on my car now, whilst I like them they are a pain to keep clean, much worse than silver / grey wheels. Brake dust shows a lot worse on the black.

Just something to consider.
I feared that. CCBs it is then!

Not !
      04-04-2016, 04:22 AM   #78
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
I feared that. CCBs it is then!

Not !
I was going to suggest that ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:35 AM   #79
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Here you go....
this is what mine looks like now they are a bit dirty would you doing in gloss black? my X5 has the 20" gloss black 491 alloys on mineral white and that looks great. but there's a lot more surface area to cover on those wheels compared to the thinner 666M wheels..
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:38 AM   #80
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
this is what mine looks like now they are a bit dirty would you doing in gloss black? my X5 has the 20" gloss black 491 alloys on mineral white and that looks great. but there's a lot more surface area to cover on those wheels compared to the thinner 666M wheels..
Have a look at the last photo in the series - done one for Chris with blacker wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:39 AM   #81
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
This any good (sorry my Photoshop skills aren't brilliant!)
Perfect.... thanks Guy!

i've been quoted £ 300 for powder coating / painting. does that sound a good price? sound fair to me...!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:43 AM   #82
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Perfect.... thanks Guy!

i've been quoted £ 300 for powder coating / painting. does that sound a good price? sound fair to me...!
Welcome! Honestly I'm not sure how much it costs. Going to live with mine for a while and then make a call I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:53 AM   #83
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 - Yas Marina

I need those burbles and pops in my life .....

Got somebody looking into a solution for me

Apparently its to do with mapping
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #84
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Lalalalalalala...... I can't hear you.... I'm trying to resist ordering it.

Are there any weight savings or power gains to be had by swapping to MPE?

No noticeable power gains (as with any system that keeps the cats)

8kg weight reduction.

Totally amazing sound, and probably even more so with those burbles and pops on overrun .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-04-2016 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:18 AM   #85
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
thanks mate. Or do as Wills said and push start button without brake, put in sp+, push accelerator pedal then valves will be open. Then remove fuses... Will a fault show up if either fuses are removed or plug disconnected?

The wheels are really growing on me. But I'm considering powder coating them dark gray. Have you seen any in US/ Canada who have done this to 666 M wheels yet? I don't want to regret it and they look smaller, so be good to see an example before I go for it... Maybe just a photoshopped pic of dark 666s on SSii...?

Do you think gloss black 666 wheels would go well or be too much black/ shine?
That trick of pressing the throttle in Sport with the engine shutdown to open the valves has never worked on my car. I rather recommend you let the engine warm up in Sport and when you hear the valves open, pull the fuses with the engine still running. This way you are sure you did it right.

It is a matter of personal taste, but I am not a lover of black wheels. What got me into the black 437M is the two tone with the tinted chrome look on the wheel face. Further, I like the two tone aspect of the 666M wheels which gives a certain depth to them. You would lose that with powder coating. But that is just me... Everyone has different preference, variety is a good thing

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 06:20 AM   #86
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Perfect.... thanks Guy!

Pretty great I'd say. My local Wheel Experts said £350 I think if I did it on 'Gloss Black Friday' when they must do all their blacks.

I'm in 2 minds to ask Tony to sort before I collect then it just arrives home like that...or take as is and see how I feel...but then the black wheels get noticed!
      04-04-2016, 06:25 AM   #87
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
That trick of pressing the throttle in Sport with the engine shutdown to open the valves has never worked on my car. I rather recommend you let the engine warm up in Sport and when you hear the valves open, pull the fuses with the engine still running. This way you are sure you did it right.

It is a matter of personal taste, but I am not a lover of black wheels. What got me into the black 437M is the two tone with the tinted chrome look on the wheel face. Further, I like the two tone aspect of the 666M wheels which gives a certain depth to them. You would lose that with powder coating. But that is just me... Everyone has different preference, variety is a good thing
yes I get what you mean about the two tone effect giving a better depth to the wheels... i'm going to leave them for a week or so and see how I feel about it then.

thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:27 AM   #88
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I also like the two-tone colouring of the 666M's. Very much more evident in the flesh. Only way I'd want to darken them would be to to do like the 437M and darken the grey part of the 666M's and leave face alone (as you have also suggested).
Appreciate 0