INDustry distribution
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
Tintking
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP AY convertible

Question about doors locking/unlocking

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hopefully someone knows a simple solution to this. In my settings I have it configured to unlock both doors when I hit the unlock or use comfort access. However if I come home and park in the garage and either leave my key in the cupholder or bring it inside with me and then come back out (without fob)and try to get something out of the passenger side, The passenger door remains locked and I have to go manually unlock it. I mean, the exercise of walking around the car and reaching in from the drivers side is probably good for me but since I am lazyÖ LOL

Is there anyway to make it so you only have to pull the door handle once to open door from inside?

And another thing, when I go through a car wash and then end up parking my car within a few minutes, it ends up dripping a puddle of really dirty black water out by the wheels which Iím assuming is brake dust but does that need to be cleaned out in someway or is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
You probably also have it set to lock automatically when you drive away.

So here's what's happening: You're ready to leave and you use Comfort Access to unlock the car. Both doors unlock. You get in and drive away and the doors automatically lock. When you come home, you pull the door handle twice (because you have the car set to automatically lock) and exit the car. This doesn't unlock the passenger door, unless you hit the unlock/lock button prior to leaving the car.

You can uncheck the setting that locks the doors automatically, but this will leave both doors unlocked while you're in the car, so if you want both doors locked, you will have to manually use the lock/unlock button to lock both doors. This also means that you only have to pull the door handle once to exit the car because the car is already unlocked. If the car is locked, the first pull unlocks the door and the second pull opens the door.

I would suggest leaving the settings like they are, and when you come home, take the key fob with you, then lock the car using Comfort Access (or the key fob if you prefer). This is the simple solution that you requested. It is literally the reverse of what you do when you are ready to leave.

This is how I've always used my car. I keep the key fob in my pocket when I'm driving. If I need to go back out to the car to get something from the passenger seat or the trunk, I just use Comfort Access on either the passenger door or the trunk because the key fob is still in my pocket. If I'm done with the car I take the key fob out of my pocket and hang it in the hall closet.

I never leave the key fob in the car and rarely leave the car unlocked in the garage, unless I'm working on it. I have the car set to automatically lock the car when driving away for safety and the car remains locked while I'm driving.

Appreciate 2
BMWM5NYC343.00

01-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
Tintking
Private
Rep

Thanks! Any idea about the dirty water issue or what to do about it?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #4
MNR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

You may want to check your cowl drains for the dirty water behind the front wheels. Iím not 100% on this but itís a shot in the dark as my buddy just had this issue with his Cayenne. Turns out his drain tubes were filled with debris causing a slow drain.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #5
Tintking
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNR View Post
You may want to check your cowl drains for the dirty water behind the front wheels. Iím not 100% on this but itís a shot in the dark as my buddy just had this issue with his Cayenne. Turns out his drain tubes were filled with debris causing a slow drain.
Are you referring to the drains under the hood up near the windshield? I will check them out but Iím fairly sure the problem has to do with brakes/brake dust. I think it occurs at all 4 wheels but Iíll have to verify that next time.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:08 AM   #6
HyeM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I coded this out using BimmerCode. I forget what it was called but all it does is when you shut the car off it unlocks all the doors
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 01:33 AM   #7
MNR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintking View Post
Are you referring to the drains under the hood up near the windshield? I will check them out but Iím fairly sure the problem has to do with brakes/brake dust. I think it occurs at all 4 wheels but Iíll have to verify that next time.
Yup but I didnít realize this was brake dust at all 4 wheels so I doubt thatís of any benefit. My mistake!
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4cs

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM3 View Post
I coded this out using BimmerCode. I forget what it was called but all it does is when you shut the car off it unlocks all the doors
^ This is the best way to resolve it, coding auto unlock when engine is turned off. I've done the same (albeit using e-sys)