Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Strange deep rhythmic pulsing noise ar 2250 RPM in 7th gear

Picked up a new 2018 M3 competition with 500 miles on it with MPE all stock from the factory. Drove it home 800 miles. On the drive home, I noticed while driving 80 mph with cruise on in 7th gear at 2250 rpms, a strange deep noise wondering if it's the exhaust. Goes like this- hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, pause, hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, pause etc. it's a weird pulsing rhtymic noise and deep like it's possibly exhaust related but I can't really tell. If I drop the car into 6th gear, and drop my speed so it gets to 2250 rpms, the sound is not reproducible. Wondering if anyone experienced this and what was done to address. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Possibly some kind of drone from the exhaust. I have only had mine a week and while driving along the highway today, thought I noticed a tad bit of drone as well. Didn't really bother me much (not that noticeable) and I didn't pay attention to the RPM or anything like that when it happened. I have had aftermarket exhausts on most of my previous vehicles and exhaust drone is a real thing. What I heard isn't even comparable to most aftermarket exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #3
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Sounds like you are describing the Active Sound (ASD) being pumped through the speakers. Disable this and let us know if it goes away.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post
Possibly some kind of drone from the exhaust. I have only had mine a week and while driving along the highway today, thought I noticed a tad bit of drone as well. Didn't really bother me much (not that noticeable) and I didn't pay attention to the RPM or anything like that when it happened. I have had aftermarket exhausts on most of my previous vehicles and exhaust drone is a real thing. What I heard isn't even comparable to most aftermarket exhausts.
Is exhaust drone usually consistent, like one long hummmmmmmmmmm ?

Because mine sounds like you are in a spaceship- hummmmmmmmmmm hummmmmmmmmmm hummmmmmmmmmmm
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Is exhaust drone usually consistent, like one long hummmmmmmmmmm ?

Because mine sounds like you are in a spaceship- hummmmmmmmmmm hummmmmmmmmmm hummmmmmmmmmmm
In my experience with non BMWs, exhaust drone has more likely been a pulsating type sound that is not consistent, but also has a consistent presence as well. So you will hear a pulsating hum with drone that isn't' just a consistent sound. My theory is that the drone comes from some resonant frequency in the cabin. So as you hover around that frequency it will fade in and out giving you that pulsating sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 05:09 AM   #6
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post
In my experience with non BMWs, exhaust drone has more likely been a pulsating type sound that is not consistent, but also has a consistent presence as well. So you will hear a pulsating hum with drone that isn't' just a consistent sound. My theory is that the drone comes from some resonant frequency in the cabin. So as you hover around that frequency it will fade in and out giving you that pulsating sound.
Thanks for this input. It's probably not worth worrying too much about as I wouldn't think the dealer could do much if anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 01:33 PM   #7
NaptownBimmer
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I am experiencing the exact same issue in my new to me 2016 M3 non-competition with 56k miles. OP, did you ever find out what was causing this rhythmic humming noise or have you just learned to live with it?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 02:51 PM   #8
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don’t drive 80 much consistently in this car so I don’t really know. I’ll check again tomorrow. Mine is not a daily driver. I’ve got less than 15k on the odometer.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 03:42 PM   #9
Doctor X
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58

Post an audio clip.

Will be hard to understand the sound from typed out messages hahah
Appreciate 0