Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #199
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
3097
Rep
10,457
Posts

Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I can't seem to find it again now-- Jason Cammisa posted it after talking with some of the chassis engineers.



I have about 0% confidence in online reviews of anything suspension related. 98% of people make their car handle worse when they change the suspension.
Based on Jason C feedback, f80 is a steaming pile of do-do that needs to be sent to the crusher, but we owners/former owners know it’s just some camber plates, 275 wide front/305 wide rear tire and brake pads away from being a great dual purpose track toy.

My guess is some alignment tweaks and different tire will have a transformative effect on the c8z51 but we’ll see how it all plays out.

I personally have more faith in owners in the track section of a platform’s forums than Jason C hyperbole
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM1189.00

      11-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #200
FormulaMMM
Colonel
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
1189
Rep
2,566
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I can't seem to find it again now-- Jason Cammisa posted it after talking with some of the chassis engineers.

I have about 0% confidence in online reviews of anything suspension related. 98% of people make their car handle worse when they change the suspension.
Yes, precisely, and his comments/reviews on suspension in particular.

Praised the GTS on street, trashed its track handling. Failed to mention that ride height and/or thousands of possible 3-way damper adjustments & combinations might make it work better.

Given the range of adjustments, must be pathways to greatly improved C8 track handling. Whether the reviewers will find them, who knows. Doubt it. They have quotas and deadlines to meet, and "THE C8 IS AN UNDERSTEERING MESS!" will get more clicks than "Here's how the C8's track handling can be dialed in." If Chevy is smart they'll deliver the thing idiot proof for track testing, unlike BMW M.

Like nicknaz said, BMW should be taking note on the adjustability front.

And if Chevy continues with past practices, they'll publish C8 track prep alignment guidance. Yes, improvements or screwups could happen from there, but the starting point won't be guesswork.
__________________
DCT E90 M3 (stock), M4 GTS, Camaro Z/28. Past: Akrapovic Evolution, KW Clubsport, Stoptech ST-40 + Pagid RS29 | Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275 35 18, Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback, Macht Schnell Filter
Appreciate 1
nicknaz3097.00

      11-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #201
dezzracer
Captain
United_States
608
Rep
739
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The Great Mojave Desert

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Vette visualizer was over capacity this a.m. when I tried it.
The visualizer has been over capacity since it launched. This thing is going to sell like hotcakes.
Exactly...everyone and their brother will have one. A dime a dozen, just like the chargers and challengers. And they will all have their balls hanging out wanting to "race you". No thanks. Way too over styled and "hey look at me" for me personally. I'm surprised there is so much interest in it on a F80/82 forum. Two COMPLETELY different cars.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M32048.00

      11-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #202
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
3097
Rep
10,457
Posts

Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Exactly...everyone and their brother will have one. A dime a dozen, just like the chargers and challengers. And they will all have their balls hanging out wanting to "race you". No thanks. Way too over styled and "hey look at me" for me personally. I'm surprised there is so much interest in it on a F80/82 forum. Two COMPLETELY different cars.
A huracan performante or 600LT is pretty aggressively styled and “hey look at me”, so if there’s a car like c8z06 that delivers similar performance and some of the looks (due to mid engined proportions) at 1/3 the price I personally am going to consider it.

I am hoping the c8z with the max track attack add ons will look like the factory racer, with the flat plane v8 sounds and track performance potential to back up the styling

That being said, I currently have an old 911 turbo with foot tall gt2 wing, an exhaust named “superloud” and wide wheels with a “dish” look. So maybe I’m just “that guy”
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #203
sajmani
#LetRideBeYourLife
United_States
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Michigan, USA

iTrader: (0)

I will stay away from Generation 1 of this. Just never been a fan of Vette reliability.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #204
996ttelise
Captain
398
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: 458, GTS, Performante
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville and Destin, Florida

iTrader: (1)

The rear half of the car is cartoonish, gimmicky, awkward, clunky and looks like a Korean/Hundai copy of the NSX. Needs stagered or larger rear wheels and softer angles.
Appreciate 1
Andrae26643.50

      11-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #205
lukej
Lieutenant
lukej's Avatar
United_States
375
Rep
536
Posts

Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavvyByNature View Post
Coming from a former GM employee, I'd definitely advise against the 1st year model. Lots of unproven technology (from GM) that will have to get sorted out during the first model year, not including the service/support at a dealership. I was hoping the would have tested bits n pieces in former cars (as was the plan) to flesh them out... but alas.
This is the only reason I ordered a new 2020 M4 comp, and I definitely was not waiting for the 2021 M4, that grill is hideous !!!

I look at all the info on the new Vette, but I was really concerned about all the new technology that was put in the car, just like it was stated above, I’ll let them get through the growing pains first.
__________________
1."Luck" is an excuse for people that have failed at their mission to do something! (Allan McNish)

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #206
TrevorM3
Major General
2259
Rep
6,818
Posts

Drives: 6.3 AMG
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

saw the new vette at the MIA car show. pretty good looking. The z06 looks will not dissapoint . the only thing i cannot stand is that huge ass steering wheel
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM1189.00

      11-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #207
supersix_evo
New Member
supersix_evo's Avatar
6
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

iTrader: (0)

The car is amazing. But if there is no manual option I won't make the switch.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:57 AM   #208
sna66
Lieutenant
sna66's Avatar
United_States
263
Rep
493
Posts

Drives: F83 SS on SS
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Remember, "the vette gets 'em wet" guys lol
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #209
996ttelise
Captain
398
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: 458, GTS, Performante
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville and Destin, Florida

iTrader: (1)

You get what you pay for.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...rolet-corvette
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #210
See5
BMW Fan
See5's Avatar
United_States
351
Rep
665
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Yes, precisely, and his comments/reviews on suspension in particular.

Praised the GTS on street, trashed its track handling. Failed to mention that ride height and/or thousands of possible 3-way damper adjustments & combinations might make it work better.

Given the range of adjustments, must be pathways to greatly improved C8 track handling. Whether the reviewers will find them, who knows. Doubt it. They have quotas and deadlines to meet, and "THE C8 IS AN UNDERSTEERING MESS!" will get more clicks than "Here's how the C8's track handling can be dialed in." If Chevy is smart they'll deliver the thing idiot proof for track testing, unlike BMW M.

Like nicknaz said, BMW should be taking note on the adjustability front.

And if Chevy continues with past practices, they'll publish C8 track prep alignment guidance. Yes, improvements or screwups could happen from there, but the starting point won't be guesswork.
Randy Post review of the C8 with street/track alignment thoughts. Apparently the C8 has an even greater range of adjustability than the C7.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...-track-review/
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM1189.00

      12-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #211
996ttelise
Captain
398
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: 458, GTS, Performante
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville and Destin, Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
Randy Post review of the C8 with street/track alignment thoughts. Apparently the C8 has an even greater range of adjustability than the C7.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...-track-review/
Nice write up, but not exactly a glowing Randy Pobst, whom I know really well, given his demeanor when he really likes something. Midcorner understeer and snap high speed throttle oversteer . . . not a good combination.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #212
See5
BMW Fan
See5's Avatar
United_States
351
Rep
665
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Nice write up, but not exactly a glowing Randy Pobst, whom I know really well, given his demeanor when he really likes something. Midcorner understeer and snap high speed throttle oversteer . . . not a good combination.
Not expecting it to be the best handling car of all time out of the box. Just showing that the track alignment does in fact make a difference.

Performance wise, its not perfect but has more bandwidth than any $65-70K car(1LT w/Z51) has any right to..
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM1189.00

      12-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #213
FormulaMMM
Colonel
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
1189
Rep
2,566
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
Randy Post review of the C8 with street/track alignment thoughts. Apparently the C8 has an even greater range of adjustability than the C7.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...-track-review/
Awesome. Back to back street vs. track alignments -- what a great way to test and demonstrate the adjustability and track performance gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Nice write up, but not exactly a glowing Randy Pobst, whom I know really well, given his demeanor when he really likes something. Midcorner understeer and snap high speed throttle oversteer . . . not a good combination.
So, you're devaluing the actual article and video content in favor of Randy's emotions and demeanor that you know so well? Maybe he skipped coffee that morning, had leftover turkey for lunch, or just completed a race weekend?

Could embed numerous glowing comments, but I'd be essentially quoting the entire article. You're seeing what you want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
Not expecting it to be the best handling car of all time out of the box. Just showing that the track alignment does in fact make a difference.

Performance wise, its not perfect but has more bandwidth than any $65-70K car(1LT w/Z51) has any right to..
Hey, that's what it has to be around here for approval. Because for generations M cars have been track destroyers in stock form. Like my E90s -- stock brakes were good for at least 1/2 hot lap, power steering reservoir only overflowed after 10 minutes of action, limp mode regularly within reach due to temps, seat supportive enough to hold you somewhere left of center with a knee braced against the door, -1.1 camber potential... Just, perfection.
__________________
DCT E90 M3 (stock), M4 GTS, Camaro Z/28. Past: Akrapovic Evolution, KW Clubsport, Stoptech ST-40 + Pagid RS29 | Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275 35 18, Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback, Macht Schnell Filter
Appreciate 2
See5350.50
minn197351.50

      12-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #214
elitex
.
elitex's Avatar
United_States
819
Rep
1,592
Posts

Drives: 21 X5M Comp , 20 MB C63s Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I ended up backing out and got my deposit back. I'll wait for Z06 to launch. Plus it'll give them time to work out any issues.
__________________
Previous
19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #215
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
3097
Rep
10,457
Posts

Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
. You're seeing what you want to see.
That’s always how it is with fans.

Try discussing advantages of android phones to hardcore Apple users

The more compelling the facts are, the more fans reject them irrationally (it’s actually been shown in academic literature)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:08 AM   #216
996ttelise
Captain
398
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: 458, GTS, Performante
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville and Destin, Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
So, you're devaluing the actual article and video content in favor of Randy's emotions and demeanor that you know so well? Maybe he skipped coffee that morning, had leftover turkey for lunch, or just completed a race weekend?

Could embed numerous glowing comments, but I'd be essentially quoting the entire article. You're seeing what you want to see.
Absolutely. That coupled with his consistent focus on mid corner understeer and high speed tailing throttle oversteer. These are two traits that don't taste great together.

I have a close friend that owns 4 Chevy dealerships. He also has been less than enthusiastic about it and made a comment to me a few weeks back about concerns of it being down on stated power and stated specs. I guess well see soon enough.

RE: 992 Turbo S

A close friend of mine just had some seat time in a 992 Turbo S. That car is truly exciting. It is wider than the standard 992, has 295s on the front and is around 2.0 to 2.1 0-60. Hyper car performance with every day drivability and comfort at a fraction of hyper car prices.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #217
See5
BMW Fan
See5's Avatar
United_States
351
Rep
665
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
He also has been less than enthusiastic about it and made a comment to me a few weeks back about concerns of it being down on stated power and stated specs. I guess well see soon enough.
Concerns about nothing based in reality.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #218
996ttelise
Captain
398
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: 458, GTS, Performante
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville and Destin, Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
Concerns about nothing based in reality.
Like you know all regarding the C8 versus someone owning 4 Chevrolet dealerships.

I have known the guy for a while as we both raced GT3 Cup together. We were at lunch and I asked about his allocations and whether any were pre sold. He told me his allocation, made it sound as if most or all were available and said: "The car is apparently down on power and not meeting expectations."

GM surely would not send hot/ringer cars to the mags. It was hilarious making Leno drive a car governed to preserve the engine. That car is going to be destroyed and never sold and does anyone really follow a break-in anymore with modern engines?

I am sure all will be sorted out and I am more interested in seeing the specs and price of this 900hp beast they are talking about.

RE: Track Specs

So why not sell the car with suspension set up in this "track spec" suspension which seemingly made the car more stable (reduced both mid corner understeer and track out trailing throttle snap oversteer). Porsche and others deliver their cars with street suspension/toe settings to make their cars more stable for the road, not the opposite. Is it a tire wear issue for the Vette.

Last edited by 996ttelise; 12-09-2019 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #219
See5
BMW Fan
See5's Avatar
United_States
351
Rep
665
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Like you know all regarding the C8 versus someone owning 4 Chevrolet dealerships.

I have known the guy for a while as we both raced GT3 Cup together. We were at lunch and I asked about his allocations and whether any were pre sold. He told me his allocation, made it sound as if most or all were available and said: "The car is apparently down on power and not meeting expectations."[/B]
This is silly.

He can own 4 dealerships and obviously still be plenty full of shit.

There is literally not one report to corroborate his claims of "underperformance" and there are plenty of people who have access to that type of information had it popped up. As for allocations, he better get his sales staff on the ball as there are plenty of stores out there with full order banks.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #220
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
7352
Rep
7,733
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 20 C63S, 212S
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM1189.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST