EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #67
snowmuch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Macan Turbo

If you drive fast and passes everyone then you don't need blind spot???
      01-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #68
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
Oh...I'd probably pass on it then. Kinda attached to the storage compartment.
This. my '15 had all that shit, for my 18 I got the storage bin.

Let's just say in 3 days of ownership the storage bin is 300% more valuable than 3 years of the "drivers assistance" crap.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #69
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
Oh...I'd probably pass on it then. Kinda attached to the storage compartment.
This. my '15 had all that shit, for my 18 I got the storage bin.

Let's just say in 3 days of ownership the storage bin is 300% more valuable than 3 years of the "drivers assistance" crap.
It's where everyone keeps their handgun rite?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #70
MFore
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I didn’t get it. And I have to say I use the second glove box a lot. But am I missing something here? Am I the only one who tracks the cars around while driving. I know when there is a car in my blind spot because I am either passing it or it’s passing me. I check mirror and glance past the mirror when changing lanes. Once in a blue moon I’m suprised and miss a car but that’s why you look. What part of this process does this improve. Human error? So now I don’t need to check? Now I don’t need to track the other cars? Now I have more free time to text and tweet. All this “safety” technology enables distracted driving. That’s not safer if you ask me.
      01-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #71
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
If by "handgun" you mean handiwipes-in-case-of-bird-poop then yes.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #72
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
If by "handgun" you mean handiwipes-in-case-of-bird-poop then yes.
By handiwipes you mean MF towels and quick detailer
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #73
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFore View Post
I didn’t get it. And I have to say I use the second glove box a lot. But am I missing something here? Am I the only one who tracks the cars around while driving. I know when there is a car in my blind spot because I am either passing it or it’s passing me. I check mirror and glance past the mirror when changing lanes. Once in a blue moon I’m suprised and miss a car but that’s why you look. What part of this process does this improve. Human error? So now I don’t need to check? Now I don’t need to track the other cars? Now I have more free time to text and tweet. All this “safety” technology enables distracted driving. That’s not safer if you ask me.
To answer the OP question, I think the driver assistance is trash on the M3. The indicator is off the mirror, and it never seems to detect other cars properly. Maybe mine isn't calibrated or something. I keep it on, but don't rely on it at all.

Having said that, on my wife's SUV the driver assistant 100% saved us from an accident. I was in the left lane and another driver was in the far right lane. We both decided to turn into the middle lane at the same time. 99% of time the alert goes off and it's nothing, but I always look anyway. When I looked to the right we were about a foot apart and he didn't see me, was still coming over. I quickly swerved back into the left, crisis averted. I wasn't mad at him or myself because I did check the lane, I'm sure he did too. Just dumb luck we both made the same move on a relatively empty highway at the same time.

Anyway, that's a real life story of driver assistance doing its job.
      01-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #74
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

nice to have but not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #75
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

To this day the only driver assistance feature I want is a back up camera. My wife has a 17 mdx fully loaded and i hate alll the driver assistance crap
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #76
Spritztour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
In MY2018 the blind spot monitoring is now a standalone option. I am thinking of checking the box, I was wondering those of you that have it do you feel its worth while? Do you find the system always works properly? any issues?

Yes I also understand the importance of properly adjusted mirrors
I agree it is useless until the day comes you get that jolt and be thankful you opted for it. I have it in my M3 and even if it only jolts me 2 times per year and avert a potential disaster, i think it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 10:11 PM   #77
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
By handiwipes you mean MF towels and quick detailer
If buy handgun, you mean deodorant at a flashlight then yes. The 2018 that the deal are found for me had the active blind spot detection and Lane change warning both of which I find to be relatively useless and I agree would much rather have the storage compartment.

I don't know why BMW had to make it so complicated. I put the convex European side mirrors on and it entirely gets rid of the blind spot. Once you get used to trusting the fact that you can see everything it is great. Much easier than some technology driven triangle that lights up
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 10:12 PM   #78
PC2003M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Competition X-Drive

I think it's pretty useless. My mirrors work great.... The extra glove compartment has more value.
      01-10-2018, 12:03 AM   #79
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuene93 View Post
My wife has the Blind Spot Detection on her wife's 4GC, and she loves it.
Holy shit. Your wife has a wife? Was that a limited time premium option included with the Blind Spot Monitoring? Is it available in certain states only or is it 50-state legal?

Regardless, congrats to you sir.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt

Last edited by maniz; 01-10-2018 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #80
Emcee
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post
To answer the OP question, I think the driver assistance is trash on the M3. The indicator is off the mirror, and it never seems to detect other cars properly. Maybe mine isn't calibrated or something. I keep it on, but don't rely on it at all.
I actually like the positioning, less distraction on actual mirror itself.

I've noticed that the BMW BSM is on a timer of sorts, it won't register a vehicle in the blind spot unless it is there for more than 2 seconds (or so and you have to be going over 25 I believe).

Suppose you pass someone quickly or get passed quickly, the sensor will not light up and I think this shows that the engineers thought about how the sensor should work. If a car is not "in" your blind spot, why notify the driver? But if a car sits in the blind spot, it will turn on.

My girl's Lexus has BSM and it lights up every time for every object in the blind spot no matter the time spent in the blind spot, I used to prefer the Lexus method but the BMW version has grown on me.

Like other's have said, use your mirrors as BSM is nice to have but paying attention is more important. One day you'll get in a rental car without it...
Appreciate 1
backagain345.00
      01-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #81
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee View Post
I actually like the positioning, less distraction on actual mirror itself. My girl's Lexus has BSM and it lights up every time for every object in the blind spot no matter the time spent in the blind spot, I used to prefer the Lexus method but the BMW version has grown on me.
I much prefer the Lexus BSM. The BMW indicator is way too dim and in the wrong place. Your eyes naturally go to the shiny thing which is the mirror. Not some weak light bulb triangle thing with a diffused lens covering it.

I'm glad I have it, but wouldn't miss it either. If the BSM also gives you the star wars looking thing in the main dash, that thing looks atrocious. It's like an Atari video game graphic. I turn it off.
      01-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #82
Emcee
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
If the BSM also gives you the star wars looking thing in the main dash, that thing looks atrocious. It's like an Atari video game graphic. I turn it off.
You talking about the lane assist? Yeah, that is only useful if you're sleepy and rather annoying if you're not always using indicators.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #83
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee View Post
I actually like the positioning, less distraction on actual mirror itself.

I've noticed that the BMW BSM is on a timer of sorts, it won't register a vehicle in the blind spot unless it is there for more than 2 seconds (or so and you have to be going over 25 I believe).

Suppose you pass someone quickly or get passed quickly, the sensor will not light up and I think this shows that the engineers thought about how the sensor should work. If a car is not "in" your blind spot, why notify the driver? But if a car sits in the blind spot, it will turn on.

My girl's Lexus has BSM and it lights up every time for every object in the blind spot no matter the time spent in the blind spot, I used to prefer the Lexus method but the BMW version has grown on me.

Like other's have said, use your mirrors as BSM is nice to have but paying attention is more important. One day you'll get in a rental car without it...
I like the BMW way better as well. I initially asked myself the question: Why doesn't it behave the same way as my other cars? After I figured it, I've had no complaints, because it cuts down all the unnecessary noises.

Also, the steering wheel always vibrates, without fail, if there is a car in the blind spot when turn signal is activated. (I know some people proud themselves for never using turn signals.) That further confirms it works all the time, just not the same way as the other cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #84
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanyam4 View Post
nice to have but not necessary.
That describes most modern auto technology. I drove many cars for many years for many miles without GPS, Auto Headlight Dimming, ABS, Backup Cameras, Bluetooth, CD or MP3 Players, etc.

The 1969 Firebird 400 I bought when I got out of college had very little technology but got me everywhere I needed to go. It also got me several speeding tickets so I suppose I should add "Radar Detector" to the "Nice to have but not necessary" list.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #85
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmuch View Post
If you drive fast and passes everyone then you don't need blind spot???
I know, right? If I go 20 over it's really easy to manage passing and mirrors because everything is going backwards
Of course, that's not always practical (or recommended), so in heavy traffic I find about once a year I get surprised by a car I didn't realize was there.

I've never had the blind-spot assist on a car before but I'm mildly considering it. If it was $100 it'd be a no-brainer, but at $500... I'd rather have carplay or wireless charging for the phone since I've somehow survived 30 years on my own.
      01-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #86
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I don't think BMW's implementation of this is as good as Japanese cars. BMW's version doesn't work in low speeds, and I think it's primarily for when you are already going fast or on the highway. I feel like my detectors stop working when there is a car directly next to me, and only works when the cars are diagonally from mine.

Japanese cars' implementation of blind spot monitoring work much better as they generally work at any speeds, have better detection range (diagonally behind or at sides), much more visible indicators, and loud audible beeping.
2015 Black Sapphire F82 M4: Bootmod3 Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT TCU DIFF Flash / Remus Catback / VRSF Charge & J Pipe / MST Intakes / Mishimoto TMIC / RK Autowerks Crank Hub / Apex VS-5RS 19x9.5 ET22 19x10.5 ET45 / Powerflex Bushings / MSS HAS / Evolve x Bilstein B6 Damptronic / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Hotchkis Sways
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #87
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

From what I've observed, Toyota's implementation is too slow to warn you of overtaking cars.
      01-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #88
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

It works well. I got used to having it on my Lexus and now I really like having it on my cars. I miss it when I drive my Prelude and S2000. That said, the steering wheel vibrate feature is nice, but I feel like its not nearly sensitive as I'd like it to be or that I was used to in my Lexus. My udnerstanding is that theres a way to code it to be more sensitive.
Appreciate 0