Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-12-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Water sloshing around in the muffler?

So I just bought a used M performance exhaust and driving home with it I noticed a sound of water splashing around every time I took a turn. A little puzzled I realized it was coming from the muffler of the M performance exhaust. I have heard of condensation build up but it sounds like a gallon of water inside that thing. Is that normal? Shouldn't it have some weep holes to drain it out? How does so much water get inside unless it went through a wash or something.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
So I just bought a used M performance exhaust and driving home with it I noticed a sound of water splashing around every time I took a turn. A little puzzled I realized it was coming from the muffler of the M performance exhaust. I have heard of condensation build up but it sounds like a gallon of water inside that thing. Is that normal? Shouldn't it have some weep holes to drain it out? How does so much water get inside unless it went through a wash or something.
I'm pretty sure that's the sound of the gas in the tank..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #3
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post

maybe it was stored outside or someone washed it and water got in it?

I am sure it will dry up if you take it on a few long drives.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
I'm pretty sure that's the sound of the gas in the tank..
You are right. I am an idiot I was zoned into what changed in the car when the sound started and it was the new exhaust that I was carrying. Totally forgot that with the seats down you can hear a lot more in the car especially the gas tank. And this was in my VW golf, not the M. Just double checked when I unloaded the car. You were right that it is the gas tank. Thanks for pointing me to the obvious

Please close thread

My Amazing European Delivery Story

Last edited by ///M///; 02-13-2016 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
When I took my 435i Muffler off it was water logged. Just empty it out. It's normal IMO.

The guys that welded on my new muffler added a weep hole in the pipe, good idea on their part.