European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-23-2023, 06:08 PM   #1
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

MCS experience on rear setup?

I’m running MCS 2wnr setup, with a divorced rear spring. It seems like the hot setup is to run inverted Coilover rear. I’d like to know if anyone has experience with both setups and ask if it is worth it to make the switch? What improvements can I expect, and what issues may I run into? (Swaybar clearance?) Thanks for any advice/help.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 06:13 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

the first time I've heard of the inverted rear shock was on the GTMore project, so I'm not sure it has any benefits besides clearance.

The coilover rear however is not an imaginary benefit, handling improves by moving the spring 'outboard' vs the OEM rear position. Note that you will need appropriate spring rates to avoid coil bind if you go to this option
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 06:39 PM   #3
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I chose to run mine inverted simply so I could access the rebound adjuster without needing to jack up the rear. Need the GTMore rear sway to avoid contact issues when running inverted with rear coils. I also chose to go with rear coils just to simplify the suspension setup.
      03-24-2023, 11:40 AM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
The reason you go to a coilover (besides maybe ease of use) is because you'd need too high of spring rate such that your spring travel/working amount is too small in the stock location. Springs work best away from the edge of being slightly compressed/relaxed. If you're running a soft enough spring in the stock location such that it's well within its working range, you won't see any performance benefit.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2