Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-05-2023, 11:12 AM   #1
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Advice on how to clean/restore CCB rotors.

OK, so I started this thread looking for CCB rotor refurbish advice, but have since found a few bits of information to that effect and I'll list them here so that it might help someone in the future.

- Never put any chemicals on the carbon ceramic rotor because they will soak into the friction layer and compromise it over time. Use water, soap, water, etc. I've also heard that alcohol is ok to use.

- Keep the holes clean with a small Phillips screwdriver, don't blow them out, and don't breathe the dust (use a dust mask at a minimum). The dust should be collected and disposed of.

- The aluminum hat is anodized, and has a grain, so when you're cleaning it try to go with that grain, and again, use water, soap, alcohol, water, etc. I also used some light buffing compound on mine to to make them super clean before ceramic coating.

- The orange spots you see on the non-swept part of the rotor is in fact rust. The exterior hardware is stainless, but the bits inside that join the hat to the rotor aren't. The rust will not cause a problem if you prefer to leave it, and the harder you use the brakes the less rust will appear.

- I used a light buffing compound *lightly* on the non-swept area of the rotor to remove some additional rust, but do this at your own risk.

First picture is what I started with. The next 4 are before/after shots.

Once I'm done with the refurbish I'll add a few more finished pix.
Attached Images

Last edited by ///MPhatic; 05-16-2023 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 10:41 AM   #2
Blocke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Nice work. I’ve been meaning to do a deep clean on my CCBs as well. For cleaning my holes, I actually use this soft bristle brush thing that is meant to clean straws for tumblers. You can find them at the dollar store and they fit perfect in the holes, and don’t run risk of scratching anything.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic14034.00
      06-12-2023, 11:42 AM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocke View Post
Nice work. I’ve been meaning to do a deep clean on my CCBs as well. For cleaning my holes, I actually use this soft bristle brush thing that is meant to clean straws for tumblers. You can find them at the dollar store and they fit perfect in the holes, and don’t run risk of scratching anything.
I used a Phillips screwdriver that fit perfectly in the holes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 11:44 AM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

The entire process worked very well.

Now with 100% more CCB. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Appreciate 0