Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Should I replace my shocks?

I'm at 89k miles, car has been lowered for the last 10k..

Is it time to replace the shocks? I have EDC, should I go with OEM or some aftermarket?

How can I tell if the shocks are going out? The ride is a bit bumpy and jolting for sure on sport + but not awful on comfort. Would be nice to compare to a newer M3.

There is a set of OEM EDC shocks that are nearly new for $700 for sale right now in the classifieds.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Yes, of course, you should at about 60k even when you haven't lowered.

(past) 2012 E92 M3 - Melbourne Red - Eibach Springs/AG M359/ performance spoiler/ performance splitters/10mm spacers, Macht Schnell Test Pipes, Alpine Stage 2 Tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post
Yes, of course, you should at about 60k even when you haven't lowered.
Why do you say that? I don't think many people replace their shocks at 60k miles. I'm at about 67k miles and my car rides fine. I am not lowered though so that certainly changes things.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

There’s a set of lightly used kw ddc for 2500. I’d get that, or bilstein b16 damptronic is getting into the semi affordable range. I’m getting mine installed August 5, will post review.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
maz54321
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: m4

Clicking when turning right left slow turns

I have a 2017 m4 comp pack. I've read different issues and solutions for the clicking sound , I'm on Dinan springs , so thought that might be it , took it to Budds bmw , who did the work , tech heard the sound and did this fix for it , I've attached the paper work. The Steering wheel feels stiffer, but so far no clicking sound . It still slightly pulls to the right , will have to take that in . I will continue to monitor , but hope this solve my clicking problem . As I know others are still trying to solve there's.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maz54321 View Post
I have a 2017 m4 comp pack. I've read different issues and solutions for the clicking sound , I'm on Dinan springs , so thought that might be it , took it to Budds bmw , who did the work , tech heard the sound and did this fix for it , I've attached the paper work. The Steering wheel feels stiffer, but so far no clicking sound . It still slightly pulls to the right , will have to take that in . I will continue to monitor , but hope this solve my clicking problem . As I know others are still trying to solve there's.
Thanks for the info... but clicking is not the issue.

I'm realizing that if the shocks were wearing out I would be experiencing a bouncy ride, Which I'm not at this point so I might just leave the shocks. I'm not sure how much better it could be as they already feel quite firm.

I think the P.O. was on coilovers for some time so I may not have the mileage I think I do on them.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #7
maz54321
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BSMM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maz54321 View Post
Thanks for the info... but clicking is not the issue.

I'm realizing that if the shocks were wearing out I would be experiencing a bouncy ride, Which I'm not at this point so I might just leave the shocks. I'm not sure how much better it could be as they already feel quite firm.

I think the P.O. was on coilovers for some time so I may not have the mileage I think I do on them.
Hi, my apologies , meant to just put it on the suspension page, out it by accident on your post.
Appreciate 0