proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

First Impression: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus

Sharing my first impressions on the MPS A/S 3+ in case anyone is interested....
I live in coastal Virginia which means we do get some cold / snow / slush from time to time but not enough that I could (or wanted to!) justify getting a separate set of winter tires. I have noticed significant traction problems when driving at 5/10ths with the MPSS tires on the cold days (below 40 degrees F) and especially the cold & wet days. It was fun, but not being able to do more than 70% throttle through 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gears was a bit of a hindrance. I've also been considering getting a set of wheels and tires for track days / autocross and really didn't want to be shelling out the money for 2 additional full sets of wheels and tires nor give up the garage space they would take up.

After 19k miles my rear MPSS tires were bald and the fronts were at 3/32 so I decided to get a full set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (as in All-Season) 3 Plus tires a chance. I got them ordered and installed through Discount Tire -- which I was really happy with, by the way -- on Saturday so I now have a total of about 100 miles on them.

First Impression (compared to MPSS they replaced):
Acceleration and braking traction are excellent. Reminds me of the MPSS tires when they were new. They grab really well and don't let go. NVH is significantly improved which is great since this is my daily driver. However, there is more flex in the tire on turn-in. They kinda feel squishy at initial turn-in but...once the sidewall flexing is done the tires maintain good traction through the turns. I've only pushed to 6/10 through the turns since I've not been on roads where I would feel comfortable with the car breaking loose, if only for a little bit. I'm not a fan of the flexing in the turns as it's a bit unnerving but I expect as I have chances to safely learn the limits of the tires I'll grow more accustomed to them.

I believe I've seen some folks state they were considering these tires so I hope this information is helpful. And since they're all-season tires which are safer for the family year-round it means I might be able to justify the dedicated track / autocross wheel + tire set.
Appreciate 2
JoeKixxon715.00
PhatLyfe985.00
      12-30-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP

These are the tires I run. Performance is just as good as super sports, they do well in rain/light snow, and they last longer.
Appreciate 2
JoeKixxon715.00
SakhirM410783.00
      01-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB-M3 View Post
I live in coastal Virginia which means we do get some cold / snow / slush from time to time but not enough that I could (or wanted to!) justify getting a separate set of winter tires. I have noticed significant traction problems when driving at 5/10ths with the MPSS tires on the cold days (below 40 degrees F) and especially the cold & wet days. It was fun, but not being able to do more than 70% throttle through 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gears was a bit of a hindrance. I've also been considering getting a set of wheels and tires for track days / autocross and really didn't want to be shelling out the money for 2 additional full sets of wheels and tires nor give up the garage space they would take up.

After 19k miles my rear MPSS tires were bald and the fronts were at 3/32 so I decided to get a full set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (as in All-Season) 3 Plus tires a chance. I got them ordered and installed through Discount Tire -- which I was really happy with, by the way -- on Saturday so I now have a total of about 100 miles on them.

Acceleration and braking traction are excellent. Reminds me of the MPSS tires when they were new. They grab really well and don't let go. NVH is significantly improved which is great since this is my daily driver. However, there is more flex in the tire on turn-in. They kinda feel squishy at initial turn-in but...once the sidewall flexing is done the tires maintain good traction through the turns. I've only pushed to 6/10 through the turns since I've not been on roads where I would feel comfortable with the car breaking loose, if only for a little bit. I'm not a fan of the flexing in the turns as it's a bit unnerving but I expect as I have chances to safely learn the limits of the tires I'll grow more accustomed to them.

I believe I've seen some folks state they were considering these tires so I hope this information is helpful. And since they're all-season tires which are safer for the family year-round it means I might be able to justify the dedicated track / autocross wheel + tire set.
How well does the AS3+ put power down compared to MPSS? If you just mash the gas, does the car struggle for traction worse than MPSS because of All Season compound?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #4
Shawn_M3 2023
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Great feedback, thanks for posting.

What tire sizes do you run? 19" or 20" wheels?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_M3 2018 View Post

Quote:

I'm on 18s.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep

These tires put the power down just as well as the MPSS when new. They will break loose if going heavy throttle from a dead stop but if you're already rolling they hook up pretty darn well.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
Shawn_M3 2023
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm on 18s.
Got it, ok thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 04:31 AM   #8
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

Just got mine last week too and they've been amazing for me as well. Best tires performance wise for the street hands down!
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
Shawn_M3 2023
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

What tire sizes are you guys running on 18s or 19s?

I'm thinking about getting a second set of wheels for the winter with these tires on them as we don't get much snow but it does get cold and the summer tires on my 20s become pretty much worthless.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlong View Post
Just got mine last week too and they've been amazing for me as well. Best tires performance wise for the street hands down!
How's the road noise and harshness from the tires?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:08 PM   #11
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

Thanks for posting this. I'm looking at those tires right now. I'm due to replace the Contis that came new with the car. I'm in Texas and it rarely freezes, but when it does it's a white knuckle ride. I think I'm pretty much sold on A/S 3 Plus, and the price isn't too bad either (considering...)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:42 PM   #12
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

These tires are great.....I have a set on my Q3 and Turbo Bug...both in 19"...….road noise is great and all around grip is great as well. Well worth the money....just recently recommended these to a friend of mine with a Nismo 370z. My GT4 has the big brother on it....Pilot Sport 4S...……….Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #13
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:
How's the road noise and harshness from the tires?
Road noise and harshness are reduced compared to the MPSS but it's far from a night and day difference. I'm also subjectively comparing well worn MPSS to brand new AS3+. Hopefully others can weigh in to get you a larger sample set.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #14
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What tire sizes are you guys running on 18s or 19s?

I'm thinking about getting a second set of wheels for the winter with these tires on them as we don't get much snow but it does get cold and the summer tires on my 20s become pretty much worthless.
I'm on stock sized 18s 255/40 and 275/40. Kinda wish I had bumped up to 265 and 285 if I had thought it through better.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #15
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
No, the Pilot Super Sport and the Pilot Sport 4S are the better tires "performance wise" for the street. Tire Rack ranks the PSS and the PS4S as "Max Performance Summer" tires". The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is ranked as an "Ultra Performance All-Season" tire. Tire Rack's rankings place "Max Performance" above "Ultra High Performance".

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/miche...3&gclsrc=aw.ds

Googling the A/S 3+ indicates that it has better grip in cold weather than the PSS or PS4S, but this doesn't mean it's the "best tire performance wise for the street", especially if you live where you it rarely gets below 40* and you can run summer tires year round. Rankings of the "best performance tire for the street" don't mention the A/S 3+, because as an all-season tire they're a "compromise" tire. They may be good tires but they're hardly the best "performance wise".

Appreciate 4
      03-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #16
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
No, the Pilot Super Sport and the Pilot Sport 4S are the better tires "performance wise" for the street. Tire Rack ranks the PSS and the PS4S as "Max Performance Summer" tires". The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is ranked as an "Ultra Performance All-Season" tire. Tire Rack's rankings place "Max Performance" above "Ultra High Performance".

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/miche...3&gclsrc=aw.ds

Googling the A/S 3+ indicates that it has better grip in cold weather than the PSS or PS4S, but this doesn't mean it's the "best tire performance wise for the street", especially if you live where you it rarely gets below 40* and you can run summer tires year round. Rankings of the "best performance tire for the street" don't mention the A/S 3+, because as an all-season tire they're a "compromise" tire. They may be good tires but they're hardly the best "performance wise".
Also on Tire Rack, they did a performance test on a regular bmw 3 or 4 series
(17's or 18's tires) not a powerful M car (19's or 20's) .. I won't take a chance putting A/S tires on an M car.. There is reason why the A/S season tires give more miles due to the hard silicas for anti-rolling resistance and hard compounds. if I bash the gas pedal down as my MPSS break loose on dry pavement, I can't imagine what would happen (I would soil my pants) with A/S3's (I have these on wife's car) experinece .

My two cents are, if you can't afford the decent pair of shoes for your car, this car is not for you.. As I only use my F83 in spring (more than 60 degrees) to fall only.. It's almost like running the field in tap shoes vs running shoes. Ultimately is safety as i like to drive the car for the way it made.. I drive the grandpa style in my Prius (yes i have one

The pricier difference is a few dollars.. but it's your choice. miles vs safety, I vote for MPSS or MPS4s..
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      04-04-2020, 11:21 PM   #17
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

The A/S 3+ is a great all around tire. I've run the BFG g-force comp-2 a/s in winter for a few seasons and its arguably a lesser tire than the A/S 3+ and it is traction challenged but I'm not running full DSC off hooning the thing outside fully risk free conditions. You take compromises in cooler/cold weather. But in summer/warm weather you want it all.

Agreed its worth a separate set of winter wheels/tires for this car - if you can afford a $75k+ M car, a couple grand is negligible.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #18
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post

My two cents are, if you can't afford the decent pair of shoes for your car, this car is not for you.. As I only use my F83 in spring (more than 60 degrees) to fall only.. It's almost like running the field in tap shoes vs running shoes. Ultimately is safety as i like to drive the car for the way it made.. I drive the grandpa style in my Prius (yes i have one
I don't disagree with the comment. Part of my devious plan was to get new tires to get me through the winter and provide enough of a time buffer -- ~5 months later -- to buy the summer + track set without my wife giving me too much crap about it. I now have good tires for daily driving use and will likely soon have a set for summer and track / autox use...assuming I don't get laid off once the full effects of coronavirus affects the industry I work in. Also, given that I live in coastal VA I couldn't justify a winter set and the handling characteristics that come with them when we have about 30 days of below 40 degree temps over a 5 month period.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #19
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Quote:

Have them on the wife's X5 and they work great!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 03:38 AM   #20
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep

I also find that tire pressure is key to reducing that bouncy side wall issue with the A/S 3+ someone was mentioning earlier.

I'm 22k miles into my set. Frequently taken 120mph+ curves in 30-40F weather with complete sense of control and no blinking DSC when inflating them at 34-35psi (hot) for the fronts and 37-38psi (hot) for the rears. I go off what my TPMS says and when inflating adjust for about +/- 1.5 psi difference in values between TPMS versus my digital tire guage. Running OEM spec tire size on 19" 437 wheels.

I've reached 150mph in light rain and have no hydroplane issues when I slam on my brakes. Moonsoon is probably a different story. I also never try my luck when there's snow on the ground, but my city is pretty good when it comes to salting and plowing I live in Chicago, where it's 90F or above for about ~2-weeks out of the whole year.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:08 PM   #21
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep

I finally got around to adding air to the tires as I've not been driven much lately. Increased pressure to 36psi all around and it's much more stable now on the curves. Don't know why I didn't consider that before. Thanks tomlong !
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #22
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I finally got around to adding air to the tires as I've not been driven much lately. Increased pressure to 36psi all around and it's much more stable now on the curves. Don't know why I didn't consider that before. Thanks tomlong !
You're very welcome! These are probably the most underrated Michelin Pilot Sport Tire in the lineup.

BTW - Regarding tire pressure for summer conditions. I'm finding 31 psi up front and 34 psi rear COLD allows them to heat up within the optimal operating zone.
Appreciate 1