ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #177
R11 M
CX502
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Brooklyn/Fjord

Definitely going to go with the rear diffuser and the spoiler now! Thanks again for your help!
16 i8 Ionic Silver/Black - Gone
16 M4 Silverstone/Silverstone - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #178
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Hah, will do! Going Friday and Saturday this year. Taking my already petrolheaded 3 yr old on the Friday. Calls the M3 'Daddy's Blue MacQueen'! He will love it.
How was it Guy? You and 'Daddy blue MacQueen' survive the track day ok? What are your thoughts and experiences?? New tyres needed already
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 05:31 PM   #179
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Guy,
I thought you took your valve controller off, because you said it was pointless on the Comp Pack car ?.
Don't forget that it's considerably louder with valves open even in efficient mode... But maybe a bit droney...
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #180
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
How was it Guy? You and 'Daddy blue MacQueen' survive the track day ok? What are your thoughts and experiences?? New tyres needed already
Yep, we're all in one piece. Only had one moment where I ran out of lock and talent

So brakes are sh*te. Even with new fluid and hoses (but with original pads as my replacement ones hadn't arrived), it was disappointing with fade. BUT I soon realised that there was something very good underneath this in terms of ultimate stopping so just need to work on this. Think cooling and better pads should solve it.

Started off with TC (in quest of research and it really is quite good). Then moved to MDM (which is restrictive in 2nd but muchly improves at higher speeds) and finally everything off.

The balance of the car is quite wonderful - you really can steer it on the throttle. Sport+ suspension showed its limits on one particular corner but otherwise was excellent. If I was doing track days a lot, I'd spend the money sorting the brakes first.

Car held its head high. I think it will take a few more days before I really start to commit more at higher speeds with everything turned off. Sure someone with more talent would find it easier but always in back of my mind is fact I don't want to stack it!!

Got some video which I will post up at some point (including my spin).
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #181
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Sounds great Guy.

I was expecting you to come back and write "....if only I had ACS suspension.....", but sounds like the standard CP suspension held up well?

Seems your biggest issue was brakes and not suspension?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #182
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Yep, we're all in one piece. Only had one moment where I ran out of lock and talent

So brakes are sh*te. Even with new fluid and hoses (but with original pads as my replacement ones hadn't arrived), it was disappointing with fade. BUT I soon realised that there was something very good underneath this in terms of ultimate stopping so just need to work on this. Think cooling and better pads should solve it.

Started off with TC (in quest of research and it really is quite good). Then moved to MDM (which is restrictive in 2nd but muchly improves at higher speeds) and finally everything off.

The balance of the car is quite wonderful - you really can steer it on the throttle. Sport+ suspension showed its limits on one particular corner but otherwise was excellent. If I was doing track days a lot, I'd spend the money sorting the brakes first.

Car held its head high. I think it will take a few more days before I really start to commit more at higher speeds with everything turned off. Sure someone with more talent would find it easier but always in back of my mind is fact I don't want to stack it!!

Got some video which I will post up at some point (including my spin).
Good man.. Yes, the brakes... They are a bit spongy aren't they. CCBs would be lovely eh! I guess if you want to do a few of these days in your DD the ACS rs kit is a must.. But you happy generally with the cp damping on the track? Are you yearning for more grunt in the mid range? Or are better brakes more important?
I've done Palmer sports a few times and loved the e92 round there( their car, not mine!). Apparently the f8x is several seconds faster round the same track.

As you are using your own car that will need to get you home, it's very hard to forget who's or what car you are thrashing round..

Good on you for giving it the beans in your new whip Guy
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #183
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Good man.. Yes, the brakes... They are a bit spongy aren't they. CCBs would be lovely eh! I guess if you want to do a few of these days in your DD the ACS rs kit is a must.. But you happy generally with the cp damping on the track? Are you yearning for more grunt in the mid range? Or are better brakes more important?
I've done Palmer sports a few times and loved the e92 round there( their car, not mine!). Apparently the f8x is several seconds faster round the same track.

As you are using your own car that will need to get you home, it's very hard to forget who's or what car you are thrashing round..

Good on you for giving it the beans in your new whip Guy
I'm off CCB's - too many tales coming out now of track day users getting very short life out of them. Will get them sorted. Funny thing is I think the RS kit is more of an improvement for fast road use where bumps upset the normal suspension. There were points where you could feel it ran out of answers but just got on with it. I am told by my F30 passengers that it was very impressive indeed the way it would turn in and seemingly steer on the throttle.

On way up, I'd have loved more grunt at 3k - saves changing down all the time. Would use that more than ultimate BHP. But speed wise, there wasn't anything that was quicker than more on the straight (reeled in Cayman R) so the car is bloody quick IF you use the top end. (Disclaimer - I didn't meet the 911 GT3 RS or the GTR)

Ultimately first thing for track is brakes, then suspension, then more driver training () and then power. Oh and some cup tyres that didn't go off after 3-4 laps would also be good.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 06:19 PM   #184
anesthetize
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 SS/SS M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 M View Post
Definitely going to go with the rear diffuser and the spoiler now! Thanks again for your help!
I would say that if your are getting diffuser, than you should get spoiler. I got diffuser for my leased SS/SS ZCP & wish I had. I'm now looking at options from MP, stattus gruppe and mode carbon.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #185
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Sounds great Guy.

I was expecting you to come back and write "....if only I had ACS suspension.....", but sounds like the standard CP suspension held up well?

Seems your biggest issue was brakes and not suspension?
It's flat there Andy so standard one copes quite well. There was one corner that beat it every time but you just worked round it. On a challenging road, would be a different priority of issues.

Yes brakes were the biggest issue here (and then tyres going off)
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #186
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
It's flat there Andy so standard one copes quite well. There was one corner that beat it every time but you just worked round it. On a challenging road, would be a different priority of issues.

Yes brakes were the biggest issue here (and then tyres going off)
What do you mean 'tyres going off' ? Are the tyres slipping and running out of grip even when hot?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #187
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Are your mpss pretty fuct after today's track day??
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #188
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean 'tyres going off' ? Are the tyres slipping and running out of grip even when hot?
All tyres will go off due to heat. Had about 4 laps before they got too much heat and then it's like driving with ecospares.... Wasn't giving them an easy time. You still can't actually see the tread channels for all the marbles of rubber. Even in racing days, i had to back off to keep the tyres on temp so for road tyres, they did good. it's all relative.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #189
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
All tyres will go off due to heat. Had about 4 laps before they got too much heat and then it's like driving with ecospares.... Wasn't giving them an easy time. You still can't actually see the tread channels for all the marbles of rubber. Even in racing days, i had to back off to keep the tyres on temp so for road tyres, they did good. it's all relative.
Oh I see... So if this is a regular thing an investment in to a second set of 19s with semi slick race tyres is the way to go... I still want more power though despite it being the last thing on your list to upgrade..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #190
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Are your mpss pretty fuct after today's track day??
No, they are just a weeny bit different.... Hopefully the 100+ mile drive home has taken off the marbles and make them look like normal tyres again.

Think the fronts took more abuse than rears as was desperately trying to not smoke the rears...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #191
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Oh I see... So if this is a regular thing an investment in to a second set of 19s with semi slick race tyres is the way to go... I still want more power though despite it being the last thing on your list to upgrade..
Completely understand. Get p*ssed off on mway having to change down when another 100lb/ft of torque at 3k would just solve the problem (as you quite right said it does in M5).

Today has given me food for thought. If budget was unlimited it would be simple - big brake conversion (still better than CCBs), RS suspension, ACS power upgrade and then find me something that would fit a set of Cup Sports.

Problem then is whether rest of car would take it and been there before and that's a lot of strain.

Whatever, you have to salute a car that can keep with pretty much anything there I encountered and still drive home in total comfort listening to Radio 2 (Friday night - yes I am old). That's what I bought it for. Just some further fettling to do....
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #192
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Completely understand. Get p*ssed off on mway having to change down when another 100lb/ft of torque at 3k would just solve the problem (as you quite right said it does in M5).

Today has given me food for thought. If budget was unlimited it would be simple - big brake conversion (still better than CCBs), RS suspension, ACS power upgrade and then find me something that would fit a set of Cup Sports.

Problem then is whether rest of car would take it and been there before and that's a lot of strain.

Whatever, you have to salute a car that can keep with pretty much anything there I encountered and still drive home in total comfort listening to Radio 2 (Friday night - yes I am old). That's what I bought it for. Just some further fettling to do....
Next time you fancy doing it again Guy at Bedford, let me know as I'd like to tag along and stretch my car's legs too..! I think there's other guys not far from here with m4/3's that are doing the same. We'll just have to keep our distance from one another so we don't start racing!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #193
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Next time you fancy doing it again Guy at Bedford, let me know as I'd like to tag along and stretch my car's legs too..! I think there's other guys not far from here with m4/3's that are doing the same. We'll just have to keep our distance from one another so we don't start racing!
Think it cost about £100. Was great fun and really good to finding limits on the car - there is nothing to hit!

Working out if can do another in July. Otherwise will be doing the How Fast sessions on West Circuit.

Whatever, we'll be doing other ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #194
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

SS interior best looking and easy to clean stands out above all.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0