Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #155
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

They need to heat up the exhaust quickly for emissions I think and whatever they do makes a right racket, even more so with the valves open.
      05-03-2016, 02:26 AM   #156
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Thanks for the pics, I ordered same but with black interior. These are the best real life pics I have seen of CP car in SS.

Any unusual options you chose or any typical ones you omitted?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #157
R11 M
CX502
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Brooklyn/Fjord

Love the car!! I have a SS/SS M3 Competition coming in next month and I'm debating wether or not to do the rear carbon spoiler. I know it looks great with the black 437M wheels but I still haven't seen enough pictures with the 666 wheels to determine if it goes with the whole look of the car. Is there anyway you could post some more photos of your car with the spoiler? Thanks either way!
16 i8 Ionic Silver/Black - Gone
16 M4 Silverstone/Silverstone - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #158
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
So why is it so loud on startup?
The wastegates are open to heat up the primary cats quicker.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #159
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2
They need to heat up the exhaust quickly for emissions I think and whatever they do makes a right racket, even more so with the valves open.
Valves open on cold start is bonkers. Can only do at office end of day. Neighbours would NOT be amused.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #160
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Valves open on cold start is bonkers. Can only do at office end of day. Neighbours would NOT be amused.
I do it every now and then, it does make a din!
      05-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #161
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

So whats the difference (for us uninitiated)!

What are you doing different to make the cold start louder/softer? Is it the throttle setting?

(I like the sound of the softer cold start setting .............. however I think it doesnt exist!)

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 01:48 AM   #162
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 M View Post
Love the car!! I have a SS/SS M3 Competition coming in next month and I'm debating wether or not to do the rear carbon spoiler. I know it looks great with the black 437M wheels but I still haven't seen enough pictures with the 666 wheels to determine if it goes with the whole look of the car. Is there anyway you could post some more photos of your car with the spoiler? Thanks either way!
Thanks mate. I will try and take some phone pics today for you. Sorry my photos skills aren't great! I defo prefer the look now the rear spoiler is on... Now the 666's are dirty, they look even better
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 01:57 AM   #163
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
So whats the difference (for us uninitiated)!

What are you doing different to make the cold start louder/softer? Is it the throttle setting?

(I like the sound of the softer cold start setting .............. however I think it doesnt exist!)
So when you do a cold start, the valves are closed but revs are much higher than normal idle (although they are now lower than on original M3 so quieter). As standard it's actually not that bad and if you head off immediately, the minute you prod the throttle it dies down (just like on the M235i). So next door don't have any problems with me at all (which is good).

If you have a valve controller (like Damien and I have), you can force the valves open. Then it is bloody loud. Only tend to do it when staying over at hotels for work as would wake up whole neighbourhood. Childish to the extreme but rather fun (and actually the only reason I still have the controller still on the car).
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 01:58 AM   #164
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
Thanks mate. I will try and take some phone pics today for you. Sorry my photos skills aren't great! I defo prefer the look now the rear spoiler is on... Now the 666's are dirty, they look even better
Think your car looks stunning. Carbon bits work perfectly with it. Back up to Norfolk in a couple of weeks again. Wife's M235i is having new suspenders and springs....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:11 AM   #165
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Quote:
So when you do a cold start, the valves are closed but revs are much higher than normal idle (although they are now lower than on original M3 so quieter). As standard it's actually not that bad and if you head off immediately, the minute you prod the throttle it dies down (just like on the M235i). So next door don't have any problems with me at all (which is good).
Having the valves closed makes better sense as it will force the gases through the silencers, slowing the gases down and heating up does cats quicker. And of course a bit quieter...
      05-20-2016, 03:32 AM   #166
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:

If you have a valve controller (like Damien and I have), you can force the valves open. Then it is bloody loud. Only tend to do it when staying over at hotels for work as would wake up whole neighbourhood. Childish to the extreme but rather fun (and actually the only reason I still have the controller still on the car).
Guy,
I thought you took your valve controller off, because you said it was pointless on the Comp Pack car ?.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:38 AM   #167
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H
Quote:

Guy,
I thought you took your valve controller off, because you said it was pointless on the Comp Pack car ?.
I was and it is - only reason for using is loud cold starts. Honest truth I just haven't got round to it and person who wanted to buy it off me - his car doesn't arrive for another two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:55 AM   #168
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
I was and it is - only reason for using is loud cold starts. Honest truth I just haven't got round to it and person who wanted to buy it off me - his car doesn't arrive for another two weeks.
OK Guy,
I have taken my controller off my last M4, and it will be going onto the new comp pack, when that arrives. If your man lets you down on buying the controller, let me know, as i think i will take it, for a friend, regards, Simon.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 04:17 AM   #169
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:

Thanks for that Guy. I thought the valves were open on a cold start, hence why it is louder. Learn something new everyday!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 04:29 AM   #170
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
OK Guy,
I have taken my controller off my last M4, and it will be going onto the new comp pack, when that arrives. If your man lets you down on buying the controller, let me know, as i think i will take it, for a friend, regards, Simon.
Will do Simon.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 04:40 AM   #171
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Think your car looks stunning. Carbon bits work perfectly with it. Back up to Norfolk in a couple of weeks again. Wife's M235i is having new suspenders and springs....
cheers Guy I certainly like the sharp lines and colour variances that it gives off. i'm trying to capture some good pics using my phone in the light we have now but failing miserably. I need a proper camera and some picture taking lessons...

are you off for your track day today?

does getting your wife's new M235 springs mean you have to wait a little longer for yours?
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 04:49 AM   #172
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 M View Post
here goes... a few naff pics of the car with spoiler and one on collection prior to the spoiler being fitted... to me it needs the spoiler to compliment the roof, rear diffuser to break up the SS boot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-20-2016, 05:16 AM   #173
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
cheers Guy I certainly like the sharp lines and colour variances that it gives off. i'm trying to capture some good pics using my phone in the light we have now but failing miserably. I need a proper camera and some picture taking lessons...

are you off for your track day today?

does getting your wife's new M235 springs mean you have to wait a little longer for yours?
Yup, just about to head up to Cambridge for meeting then off to Bedford.

I am going to try to get a ride in the CP that ACS are bringing over to Goodwood then will make final call. Dumping £1,400 on her car may set me back a month or two. At least she can't then have a go at me
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 05:21 AM   #174
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:

I am going to try to get a ride in the CP that ACS are bringing over to Goodwood then will make final call. Dumping £1,400 on her car may set me back a month or two. At least she can't then have a go at me
excellent. good luck be safe and let me know if you get that ride in the ACS CP. cant wait to hear what they have done to improve the CP hp/tq numbers...

Goodwood FOS could be very costly for me this year...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 05:31 AM   #175
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex
Quote:

excellent. good luck be safe and let me know if you get that ride in the ACS CP. cant wait to hear what they have done to improve the CP hp/tq numbers...

Goodwood FOS could be very costly for me this year...
Hah, will do! Going Friday and Saturday this year. Taking my already petrolheaded 3 yr old on the Friday. Calls the M3 'Daddy's Blue MacQueen'! He will love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #176
RKR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

Looks amazing. Huge fan of Silverstone with the competition package