Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #89
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRRobert View Post
Think he is running STOCK rear calipers
Ok. I did not read the entire thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #90
jacobe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3

Cool and crazy video. 👍
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #91
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
I ran a couple 25-minute sessions at Monza yesterday and my brake cooling package for next year is set.

Front: AP Racing 9660 with Ferodo DTC-70 pads, Yperion titanium shims, and 3D-printed scoops feeding the center of the rotors through 2.5” hose.

Rear: Stock calipers with Ferodo DS2500 pads, Porsche 911 GT3 front scoops installed on the rear arms feeding air directly at the calipers, and a 2” hose scooping air under the spring for the side of the rotor. In hotter temps I think the piston dust boots might still be at risk, so I have Yperion shims for the rear as well (if they ever show up).

I installed temperature strips on all four calipers and went bombing around Monza. Air temperatures were around 8 Celsius and the lowest brake temperature indicator (370 degrees Fahrenheit) didn’t even pop. We will see how well they cope next summer, but so far I’m feeling good.

Brakes in action:

If the weather cooperates I’m going to hit Mugello next weekend with no front cooling scoops to see how the brakes tolerate it. So far the forecast is calling for rain, though.
Love that brake image capture/video, Please share your mounting set up?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #92
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Love that brake image capture/video, Please share your mounting set up?
The Go Pro camera is mounted to the standard “flat” mount that comes with adhesive backing. For security, I removed the adhesive and drilled a pair of countersunk holes in the mount so I could rivet it to the plastic splash guard in the wheel arch. The splash guard is really soft plastic and easily removed for drilling. I backed the rivets with a small aluminum plate made of leftover pieces of my stock brake shields. It’s a mount/splash guard/aluminum plate sandwich with two rivets holding it together. I even ran a USB cable from the cabin, along the fender, and into the wheel arch. This allows me to leave the camera on all day without killing its battery and under the control of my phone since it’s hard to access to start/stop recording.

The final product can easily be permanently mounted anywhere in the wheel arch. I experimented with several different locations, but there’s not much room left with really wide tires and brake cooling hoses taking up space and blocking the view. Considerations also have to be made for rocks being thrown, which already shattered the screen on a camera I had behind the rear wheels.

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 11-23-2019 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Photo added
Appreciate 3
fanatic11018.50
Gomeler500.00
      11-23-2019, 01:19 AM   #93
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:
I ran a couple 25-minute sessions at Monza yesterday and my brake cooling package for next year is set.

Front: AP Racing 9660 with Ferodo DTC-70 pads, Yperion titanium shims, and 3D-printed scoops feeding the center of the rotors through 2.5” hose.

Rear: Stock calipers with Ferodo DS2500 pads, Porsche 911 GT3 front scoops installed on the rear arms feeding air directly at the calipers, and a 2” hose scooping air under the spring for the side of the rotor. In hotter temps I think the piston dust boots might still be at risk, so I have Yperion shims for the rear as well (if they ever show up).

I installed temperature strips on all four calipers and went bombing around Monza. Air temperatures were around 8 Celsius and the lowest brake temperature indicator (370 degrees Fahrenheit) didn’t even pop. We will see how well they cope next summer, but so far I’m feeling good.

Brakes in action:

If the weather cooperates I’m going to hit Mugello next weekend with no front cooling scoops to see how the brakes tolerate it. So far the forecast is calling for rain, though.
That is incredible, well done!
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #94
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Probably the coolest video I've seen posted on this forum!
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2020, 05:25 AM   #95
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Joined the BBK gang with 9668/9449 with DSUNO pads. The factory 18” 513M rims fit. I’m running 12mm spacers in front but likely a 5mm would suffice... but not for sure.

One question. I bled with a Motiv Pressure bleeder twice and then went back around a third time the old fashion way with my wife in the seat per Essex’s install instructions. I’ve only driven it 3ft back and forth in the garage. I feel as if there is more “take-up” than the stock setup. Will this go away after bedding in the pads? What I mean is the pedal travels a bit more before the pads hit the rotors... once that happens, it’s very firm, more firm than stock, in the brake pedal world I’d say rock hard.
Attached Images

Last edited by bimmerboyE92; 02-03-2020 at 05:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #96
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
Joined the BBK gang with 9668/9449 with DSUNO pads. The factory 18” 513M rims fit. I’m running 12mm spacers in front but likely a 5mm would suffice... but not for sure.

One question. I bled with a Motiv Pressure bleeder twice and then went back around a third time the old fashion way with my wife in the seat per Essex’s install instructions. I’ve only driven it 3ft back and forth in the garage. I feel as if there is more “take-up” than the stock setup. Will this go away after bedding in the pads? What I mean is the pedal travels a bit more before the pads hit the rotors... once that happens, it’s very firm, more firm than stock, in the brake pedal world I’d say rock hard.
I had the same feeling after bleeding mine with a Motiv bleeder. I thought I had air in the lines, so I bought a suction bleeder like what I use at the shop and it made no difference. Five track days later, I’m 100% confident the system has no air, and the pedal travel is a normal characteristic of the calipers.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 07:05 PM   #97
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had the same feeling after bleeding mine with a Motiv bleeder. I thought I had air in the lines, so I bought a suction bleeder like what I use at the shop and it made no difference. Five track days later, I’m 100% confident the system has no air, and the pedal travel is a normal characteristic of the calipers.
Is this everyone else’s experience as well? After sitting for a day, engine in the off position, the first press of the pedal needs almost no effort until the pedal is at the same height at the accelerator where it becomes rock hard. Then the second press builds up pressure where there is some resistance until just slight below the accelerator.

I think I’m mostly concerned with the “low” pedal. This happens in my e36 because of pad taper.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 09:12 PM   #98
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Is this everyone else’s experience as well? After sitting for a day, engine in the off position, the first press of the pedal needs almost no effort until the pedal is at the same height at the accelerator where it becomes rock hard. Then the second press builds up pressure where there is some resistance until just slight below the accelerator.

I think I’m mostly concerned with the “low” pedal. This happens in my e36 because of pad taper.
Mine is not like that, maybe a tiny bit of take up at the top and then solid.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:27 PM   #99
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:

Don’t worry about it too much until after you’ve bedded the pads in. Drive it for a bit, then see how you feel. I swore up and down that I still had air in the system, but almost a litre of fluid later, the pedal is still exactly the same.

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 02-09-2020 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2020, 12:45 AM   #100
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Really hoping this hasn’t been overlooked...Are you guys are tapping the caliper with a rubber mallet during the bleed process?
Appreciate 2
David0ff1056.00
sly1types431.50
      02-08-2020, 09:00 AM   #101
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No, I did not. I plan to drive this thing once the weather gets a bit nicer and bleed again. This time using the hammer tap technique as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
Really hoping this hasn’t been overlooked...Are you guys are tapping the caliper with a rubber mallet during the bleed process?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 08:15 PM   #102
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
I definitely smacked the crap out of mine during the bleed.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      06-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #103
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 (Track) / E92M3 (Street)

resurrecting this thread for some feedback form existing users of the kit...

how many of you are using the kit on your street or street/track car?

how is the performance on the street?

how many miles have you driven on the street vs track (days) with the kit? granted, the real use, benefit and abuse is on the track.

what pads are you using?

and, what is the life of the rotors? any excessive wear from street use?

appreciate everyone feedback, thanks...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #104
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninekrpm View Post

how many miles have you driven on the street vs track (days) with the kit? granted, the real use, benefit and abuse is on the track.

what pads are you using?

Using Ferodo DSUNO pads. I believe these would be a complete waste on the street. In fact, I had previously complained about pedal feel being a bit low. But that was in the middle of winter on the street. Now that I’ve had it out 1 track day, the pedal feels great once heated up. Might be a different experience with a street pad loaded in.

The most disturbing thing is that you will actually hear the pads rattle in the calipers over cracks and joints on the street. Apply a little pedal pressure and they are silent. Don’t notice it on track... maybe because of heat expansion?

From a cosmetic point, the calipers are kinda bland and the plain white lettering is a little “dated”.

For a serious track brake system, this is it! For the street, custom color your stock calipers and use a ceramic pad! Are the stock brakes not cutting it for street use? Change pads and get different tires first.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #105
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Do these have rubber piston seals?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #106
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Quote:
The most disturbing thing is that you will actually hear the pads rattle in the calipers over cracks and joints on the street. Apply a little pedal pressure and they are silent. Don’t notice it on track... maybe because of heat expansion?
To be expected without the pad tensioners. The pad tensioners/anti-rattle clips are optional, can be ordered with the kit or added afterward. I ordered the kit this week without the clips, but almost exclusively for track use.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:30 AM   #107
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
No rubber seals making them great as track calipers but maybe not so good on the street.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:31 AM   #108
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post

To be expected without the pad tensioners. The pad tensioners/anti-rattle clips are optional, can be ordered with the kit or added afterward. I ordered the kit this week without the clips, but almost exclusively for track use.
I did not spring (pun intended) for the tensioners at $170 per axle set.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #109
JoeP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninekrpm View Post

what pads are you using?

I use mine daily on the street but I don't drive the car in the winter. Performance on the street is great. Feels just like stock to me. Haven't tracked yet but that was the obvious reason to get the kit (and the ability to use 18" wheels). I'm using the DS2500 on the street and they are great in my opinion. Given that these rotors are meant to take the abuse of track and a track pad that will inevitably be harder on rotors than a street pad I don't think you need to worry about increased wear from the street.

I do recommend the pad tensioners for the street if you want to maintain streetability. You won't hear the pads rattling around as you drive with the windows down. Even with the pad tensioners you will still hear the pads set into place if you are parking or are just setting off on your drive but once driving, you won't.

I will definitely be doing a review once I get these on the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #110
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 (Track) / E92M3 (Street)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I use mine daily on the street but I don't drive the car in the winter. Performance on the street is great. Feels just like stock to me. Haven't tracked yet but that was the obvious reason to get the kit (and the ability to use 18" wheels). I'm using the DS2500 on the street and they are great in my opinion. Given that these rotors are meant to take the abuse of track and a track pad that will inevitably be harder on rotors than a street pad I don't think you need to worry about increased wear from the street.

I do recommend the pad tensioners for the street if you want to maintain streetability. You won't hear the pads rattling around as you drive with the windows down. Even with the pad tensioners you will still hear the pads set into place if you are parking or are just setting off on your drive but once driving, you won't.

I will definitely be doing a review once I get these on the track.

thank you for sharing your experience, may I ask how many street miles you have put on the setup?
Appreciate 0