Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-30-2021, 07:11 PM   #1893
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
With some aftermarket front sway bars and the SPL LCA you can have the stock end links hit the LCA at droop. Shorter end links are helpful in that case.
Um… Is the user name inspired by the game Farkle?
      11-30-2021, 09:08 PM   #1894
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
My plan when going MCS and BBK was either going complete, meaning full top end suspension, additional suspension components, and a race BBK, or not doing anything at all and just replacing my stock rotors which are toast and keeping my HAS suspension. I literally had an excel sheet of costs with 3 tabs: high cost, low cost, and low cost 2. As I told the guy at Bimmerworld, I want to go big and if I regret it in the long run, at least I tried it and can learn from it if it turns out to be a mistake. Had I just gone the low cost route, I'd constantly just question the decision.

I only do ~5000 miles per year at most and I can't say my intent is to make this a track car despite these parts. I don't plan to do any aero and will keep my full interior; although I may get the Team Schirmer front splitter and wing a year from now depending on how things turn out with these parts. Like SheerPleasure, the plan is just a seat and the quick fit pro for the interior.

Regarding, full SPL, it's full SPL in terms of what was recommended to me. I was told not to get sway bar endlinks so that's omitted, but otherwise it's all of the other parts. I debated going Turner instead, but their pricing didn't make sense and the offering wasn't 1:1 with SPL in terms of items available so it was difficult to compare.

And yes, I reached out to Core4 directly. It's $1800 for 4 hubs/studs. It would be $1300 for new OEM hubs and MSI studs, so I felt this made some sense. I plan to do the hubs and BBK install myself.

In terms of vendors, unfortunately Bimmerworld seemed to be the only large vendor carrying MCS and Alcon; well only vendor carrying Alcon. Turner and ECS offered Brembo, JRZ, KW, etc.
You can get a very slight discount on the MCS package from Bimmerworld if you deal with one of their reps.
Thats awesome. Very happy for you buddy. Look forward to hopefully seeing each other at LRP or Watkins again next season.

I am jealous of the Alcon brakes. From what I hear from Shadow, they last 3x as long as my APs. I am really not happy with going through a set of rotors every 2 sets of pads (9-10 track days). If I could find a buyer for my front and rear essex/AP kit, I'd probably buy the Alcon. I think the Essex/AP kit works great, until you get to a certain pace, then it just cant handle it.

I am actually in contact with Shirmer right now to see if their brake cooling kit will fit the Essex rotors. It's made for their AP Racing Caliper kit but they use 378mm rotors versus the 372mm of Essex.

I also spoke extensively with Girodisc about their AP Racing rotor replacement. Basically, they designed it BEFORE Essex re-designed their rotor discs. So they have no data on how it compares to the new thicker design. I'd also have to buy a new ring, so it'd be a $500 gamble with no guarantee of increased rotor life. If it doubled the life of my rotors, it'd be a no-brainer, but I am not sure if I want to be the guinea pig. For now, I ordered a new set of rings from Essex. Very tempted to try the girodisc but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Has anyone else added brake cooling to their cars? If so, which kit did you go with? I lean towards the shirmer with their 'ring experience, so I hope it fits.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:33 AM   #1895
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofluke View Post
Thats awesome. Very happy for you buddy. Look forward to hopefully seeing each other at LRP or Watkins again next season.

I am jealous of the Alcon brakes. From what I hear from Shadow, they last 3x as long as my APs. I am really not happy with going through a set of rotors every 2 sets of pads (9-10 track days). If I could find a buyer for my front and rear essex/AP kit, I'd probably buy the Alcon. I think the Essex/AP kit works great, until you get to a certain pace, then it just cant handle it.

I am actually in contact with Shirmer right now to see if their brake cooling kit will fit the Essex rotors. It's made for their AP Racing Caliper kit but they use 378mm rotors versus the 372mm of Essex.

I also spoke extensively with Girodisc about their AP Racing rotor replacement. Basically, they designed it BEFORE Essex re-designed their rotor discs. So they have no data on how it compares to the new thicker design. I'd also have to buy a new ring, so it'd be a $500 gamble with no guarantee of increased rotor life. If it doubled the life of my rotors, it'd be a no-brainer, but I am not sure if I want to be the guinea pig. For now, I ordered a new set of rings from Essex. Very tempted to try the girodisc but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Has anyone else added brake cooling to their cars? If so, which kit did you go with? I lean towards the shirmer with their 'ring experience, so I hope it fits.
I'd pull the trigger on the Giros. Their quality is outstanding. I've done 7 days this year with the GTS and the Giro CCB conversion and I'm impressed

Do you know which Giros they use? The CCB conversion rotors, the regular F8X rotors or a specific set?
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      12-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #1896
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I'd pull the trigger on the Giros. Their quality is outstanding. I've done 7 days this year with the GTS and the Giro CCB conversion and I'm impressed

Do you know which Giros they use? The CCB conversion rotors, the regular F8X rotors or a specific set?
The rep I was speaking with told me it was a unique set that they specifically designed to go with the AP Rotors.

Here's a copy/paste of some of the emails the rep sent me:

Quote:
"... However, we’ve developed a hat + ring setup for the F8X AP kits that is 36mm in thickness and might hold up better for you. The catch is that you would need to buy the full hat + ring assembly for the first pair, then after that we sell just the replacement rings.

We did a design from scratch because when we looked at the Essex hats, we didn’t feel that the tolerances were as tight as what we target for our hats + rings. Given that we are a group of engineering-minded people, we stuck with what we knew worked for us.

The full assembly retails at $1300/pair, and replacement rings are $800/pair (and include fresh hardware at no extra cost). The part number for the assembly is A1-194, but I don’t believe any of our dealers would have this listed so your best bet would probably be to buy direct or have Bimmerworld reach out to us. We have a pair of hats on the shelf, and we could make the rings this week. Let me know if you have any questions!"

I asked a few more questions, which they responded

"The feedback we have is from a customer in Europe who is the reason we designed these in the first place. They kept cracking rings and requested that we make a hat + ring to remedy this but also try and improve on the kit. Note that this was with the previous AP rotor design (thinner metal cheeks, larger air gap) and I believe they have since revised their design so keep this in mind. The Essex kit specs a 372x34mm ring, but these calipers (both 9660 and 9668 versions) can take up to a 36mm ring so that’s what we targeted. They saw a drastic improvement in life and were able to run the rings through their entire lifespan without experiencing premature cracking. Once again, this was before AP revised the rings, so I don’t have any additional data comparing the newer rings to ours."

" I dug deeper into our data on this part, but I couldn’t find much. We ended up selling almost a dozen pairs of assemblies to European customers with the AP kit, but we never heard anything back other than the pilot customer saying it fixed their premature cracking issue (on the pre-revision rings). The truth is, “no news is good news” is very true for us, as we tend to only hear feedback when something goes wrong."

"What I do know is that the pre-revision 34mm-thick ring had a 21mm air gap (the distance between the two rotor “cheeks”). Doing the math, that’s 6.5mm of cheek material per side which is on the thin side and would explain the cracking issue. Our ring is 36mm thick with a 20mm air gap, resulting in 8mm of cheek per side. While that is a nice jump alone, if you expand that across the surface area of the ring, that ends up being quite a bit more mass. However, I don’t know what the revised air gap is on their new 34mm-thick ring. If you have a pair of calipers, I would be curious to know this data point.

Which is a long way of saying that I fully believe and would state that our rotors will hold up much better than the pre-revision AP rings just from the above conjecture. However, I have no idea what the revised ring looks like (other than guessing that they thickened up the cheeks and shrunk the air gap). If you’re able to get me that measurement from the revised rings, I could make a guess. Based on what I know now, I think our rings would last at least as long as the revised AP rings. "

and finally

"Thanks for the photo, that makes it very clear. They did exactly what we suspected – thinned up the air gap and added material to the cheeks. At this point, it would be pure conjecture on my part, and we try not to do that too much. Assuming that their cheeks are 8mm each, in theory our 36mm-wide ring could cool more efficiently with a similar amount of thermal mass in the cheeks but a wider air gap. That being said, it’s anybody’s guess at this point."
Hopefully, the rep is OK with me posting it. All it would probably do is increase their sales so I figure they'd be happy!

Based on this extended email dialogue, I was a little torn on how to proceed.

The real question is, if the revised AP rotors are 2x the life of the originals, how much longer would the girodiscs last? If its 3x, its worth the $500 hat price. Tough call. I would be the first person to test the longevity versus the redesigned AP rotors. At this point, I could flip a coin.

I thought about making a separate post about all this, and I could still do so if you recommend it, otherwise this juicy info might get buried in this general chat thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #1897
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofluke View Post
The rep I was speaking with told me it was a unique set that they specifically designed to go with the AP Rotors.

Here's a copy/paste of some of the emails the rep sent me:

Hopefully, the rep is OK with me posting it. All it would probably do is increase their sales so I figure they'd be happy!

Based on this extended email dialogue, I was a little torn on how to proceed.

The real question is, if the revised AP rotors are 2x the life of the originals, how much longer would the girodiscs last? If its 3x, its worth the $500 hat price. Tough call. I would be the first person to test the longevity versus the redesigned AP rotors. At this point, I could flip a coin.

I thought about making a separate post about all this, and I could still do so if you recommend it, otherwise this juicy info might get buried in this general chat thread.
It figures that it is a specific hat/rotor, the offset of aftermarket calipers is always different than stock.

The Giro rotor is really, really good. I had seen them and received good feedback for years but always maintain a healthy degree of skepticism, as what one person considers is a 'torture test' is a warm up lap for someone else. But anyway, I ran CCB Giro conversion on the GTS 7 days at the end of 2021 season and the rotors still look happy.
I'm still going to switch to Alcon, but if I were not as crazy as I am I'd just leave the CCBs Giro rotors alone.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #1898
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It figures that it is a specific hat/rotor, the offset of aftermarket calipers is always different than stock.

The Giro rotor is really, really good. I had seen them and received good feedback for years but always maintain a healthy degree of skepticism, as what one person considers is a 'torture test' is a warm up lap for someone else. But anyway, I ran CCB Giro conversion on the GTS 7 days at the end of 2021 season and the rotors still look happy.
I'm still going to switch to Alcon, but if I were not as crazy as I am I'd just leave the CCBs Giro rotors alone.
Ok, I think you might have convinced me to give them a try next season. The slots don't look as cool as the J-hooks, but at the rate I burn through rotors, the $500 hat might be money well spent. I'll probably keep my rears as the J hooks for now. 15-20 track days so far on the rears and the rotors look fine.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      12-04-2021, 04:34 PM   #1899
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Useful tire selection chart from Grassroots

Autocross: Choose A or AA for Warm-up and B or better for Pace.
Time trials: Choose by Pace and Wear.
Lapping days: Choose by Heat Tolerance and Wear.
Street and Track: Choose by Heat Tolerance, Wear and Wet.
Attached Images

12-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #1900
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep

Hey guys, figured I’d drop this in here since it’s for track junkies. I’m selling my TTX setup for the F8x: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1879432
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
jmg18493.00
RSXDC5704.00
irunalot1515.50
      12-06-2021, 07:05 AM   #1901
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3IGHTY View Post
Hey guys, figured I’d drop this in here since it’s for track junkies. I’m selling my TTX setup for the F8x: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1879432
Those adjustment dials are sweet! Much more idiot proof than the KW's.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #1902
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
Useful tire selection chart from Grassroots

Autocross: Choose A or AA for Warm-up and B or better for Pace.
Time trials: Choose by Pace and Wear.
Lapping days: Choose by Heat Tolerance and Wear.
Street and Track: Choose by Heat Tolerance, Wear and Wet.
Sunday at Buttonwillow was wet in the morning and pleasantly surprised with how well behaved Goodyear SC3R were. Nobody had great ultimate grip and lap times were about 15 or 20 seconds off of optimal, but tires were super predictable in the wet, with no standing water.
Appreciate 1
EGbeater113.50
      12-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #1903
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

GoPro mounted in a tire

This was in the Speed Secrets weekly letter today, cool perspective.

Appreciate 3
swagon13482.50
jfritz271100.50
mcvaughan702.00
      12-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #1904
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
This was in the Speed Secrets weekly letter today, cool perspective.

What an age we live in
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      12-07-2021, 10:54 PM   #1905
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
fyi - some changes being implemented by Opentrack Insurance starting 12/1/21...

First, they will ll be putting through a substantial premium increase on daily policies (15%) and a small increase on our Annual Unlimited (4%).

Second, they will be removing five tracks from availability in their daily-policy program. Those tracks are the following and will now only be covered if you are in the Annual Unlimited membership.

- Sonoma

- Watkins Glen

- Virginia International Raceway

- Palmer Motorsports

- New Jersey Motorsports Park
So no go for me, I’ll continue using ontrackinsurance.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:26 PM   #1906
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

anyone have access to goodyear supercar 3r tires?? seems like they're on national backorder and nobody can get a set at the moment...

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:08 AM   #1907
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Anyone notice that the first thing that people talk about on the track are tires, which are the last thing anyone talks about on the street?

Speaking of tires… selling a set of RE71R for the M3 CS and M4 CS drivers out there.

265/35/19 x2 - used for 1 track day - less than 1000 street miles
285/35/20 x2 - used for 3 track days - less than 2000 street miles

Running -3.4 front and -2.3 rear camber so tire wear is even.

I'll have pics up as soon as I get them dismounted later today.

Edit - PM me if interested so I don't hijack the thread.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:11 AM   #1908
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Anyone notice that the first thing that people talk about on the track are tires, which are the last thing anyone talks about on the street?

Speaking of tires… selling a set of RE71R for the M3 CS and M4 CS drivers out there.

265/35/19 x2 - used for 1 track day - less than 1000 street miles
285/35/20 x2 - used for 3 track days - less than 2000 street miles

Running -3.4 front and -2.3 rear camber so tire wear is even.

I'll have pics up as soon as I get them dismounted later today.
That's because red light instagram racers think R888s are slicks while everyone at the track thinks it's an anus tire.
Appreciate 4
      12-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #1909
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
That's because red light instagram racers think R888s are slicks while everyone at the track thinks it's an anus tire.
Don't get me started on the r888r shit tires, just horrible
Appreciate 5
NYG10571.50
The_Werm212.00
clutchdj1851.50
EGbeater113.50
      12-09-2021, 09:37 AM   #1910
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Don't get me started on the r888r shit tires, just horrible
Easily top 3 shittiest tire I've ever tried. Would rather drive on circa 1997 Firestone tires.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      12-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #1911
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

This message popped up in my email today. Aug 22 is a while out but just sharing in case your into this stuff. I'm hearing fun things about Gridlife and will try to check it out.

GRIDLIFE ANNOUNCES NEW “CIRCUIT LEGENDS FESTIVAL” at LIME ROCK PARK FOR SUMMER ‘22.

GRIDLIFE hosted it's the “State of the Grid” press conference on Friday at the 2021 PRI Show where they revealed their 2022 Competition Calendar, and announced their plans for a new festival expansion to the Northeast called “Circuit Legends” to be hosted at Lime Rock Park, scheduled for August 19-20 at the celebrated circuit in Connecticut.

Circuit Legends is a new festival concept for GRIDLIFE, who are known for their innovative motorsports festivals around the United States. The Circuit Legends concept will be a new motorsports festival experience, celebrates automotive culture of the Mid ‘80s through Mid ‘00s by featuring vehicles that represent “The Golden Age of touring car racing”.

“The Circuit Legends concept will be Grid Life’s Concours Event. It’s a car culture and motorsports showcase designed for the younger generation that was brought up on Speedvision, BTCC, DTM, JTCC, etc. We will celebrate automotive heroes as our headliners to bring a legendary group of 80s-90s-00s racing vehicles together for this inaugural event.”

-Chris Stewart - GRIDLIFE Founder and Experience Director
The Circuit Legends Festival is a collaboration between GRIDLIFE and Lime Rock Park, who will co-produce this event. GRIDLIFE’s fresh approach to grassroots racing at a legendary track like Lime Rock Park will result in a stand-out motorsports event that will return to the park year after year.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 01:55 AM   #1912
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I just posted some parts for sale, but since some are track related, figure this is the crowd that might want to save on some 2nd had parts!

GC Camber Plates: Thread

RE71R Tires: Thread

PFC-08 Race Pads: Thread

MS Spacers: Thread

MPE V2: Thread
Attached Images

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #1913
MaX PL
Major
Rep

Hey everyone,

I remember reading some comments about certain Recaro and Cobra seats working best with the 3 point belt in the F80.

Why were these specific seats talked about in regards to working well in this car? What would make other seats not a good fit in regards to 3 point compatibility?

I don't know anything about seats so would like some input. Once I can determine the full selection of compatible seats, I can pick and choose which are best fitting for me.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #1914
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
Hey everyone,

I remember reading some comments about certain Recaro and Cobra seats working best with the 3 point belt in the F80.

Why were these specific seats talked about in regards to working well in this car? What would make other seats not a good fit in regards to 3 point compatibility?

I don't know anything about seats so would like some input. Once I can determine the full selection of compatible seats, I can pick and choose which are best fitting for me.

Thanks
A seat like the Cobra Nogaro has cutouts so the 3pt buckle fits correctly.

Most seats, including the ones I use, do not have a cutout and that means the 3pt belt goes on 'top' of the bolsters and has slack until it reaches your body. On one side I install the belt to go 'inside' the seat, but on the other I cannot.
This is a good way to die quickly, but I count on the fact that I don't use my track cars on the street much.

If you see how an OEM does it, like BMW in the CSL/GTS1/GTS2, you'll see the belt receptacle portion is cut out so the belt can be tight against your body
Appreciate 0