BPM
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #23
M_Chronos
Private First Class
M_Chronos's Avatar
62
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

He's a dude excited about cars who video tapes himself exploring through interesting cars. Though one could certainly expect him to be a bit more technically knowledgeable at this point in his career. Missing that the engine is transverse is certainly omitting a big quirk, same as the Eldorado being front drive. Both could have been one sentence worth of comment but at least acknowledged them. Videos are entertaining, just need to be viewed in context of his knowledge.

Will say I gave a "really?" when he mentioned the reason for the wide side sill is due to the shifter being there. He has dropped into enough mid engine cars at this point for that not to be the first conclusion his mind comes to when seeing it.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #24
JamesNoBrakes
Lieutenant Colonel
961
Rep
1,874
Posts

Drives: 428i xdrive GC
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

I mean, if you sit there for hours on end you might find an error or two, but he generally knows what he's talking about and does a good job. It's entertainment. I found the insights between the 80s Ferraris and Lamborghinis to be very interesting.

I'm not sure if he was really intending the wide sill comment in that way, it is wide, there is a shifter there, it kind of came out that way, but it also didn't sound like the intent of the comment either.
__________________
Dinan Shockware, Dinan F3x Swaybars, ACS Springs
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #25
Darth One
drunk poster
Darth One's Avatar
United_States
3299
Rep
2,706
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I really don’t have anything against the guy, but i did enjoy him more as a writer/poster on Jalopnik and Autotrader than as a “reviewer”. Mainly because he doesn’t convey very well how the car is to drive.

Although to be fair, when I’m close to buying a car and he has a video on it, i do watch him go through every inch and fondle every control to see if i learn about something cool about the car that i overlooked. Maybe that’s the whole point of what he does...?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #26
Rush1
Second Lieutenant
Rush1's Avatar
192
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: 128i convertible
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

He's better than that Hoovie guy who comes across as a spastic idiot.
Doug has better appeal.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #27
pennsiveguy
Lieutenant
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
1156
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Chronos View Post
He's a dude excited about cars who video tapes himself exploring through interesting cars. Though one could certainly expect him to be a bit more technically knowledgeable at this point in his career. Missing that the engine is transverse is certainly omitting a big quirk, same as the Eldorado being front drive. Both could have been one sentence worth of comment but at least acknowledged them. Videos are entertaining, just need to be viewed in context of his knowledge.

Will say I gave a "really?" when he mentioned the reason for the wide side sill is due to the shifter being there. He has dropped into enough mid engine cars at this point for that not to be the first conclusion his mind comes to when seeing it.
I guess it comes down to whether you're watching a vlog to harvest a bunch of information (which is the case for me) or you're looking to be entertained by the humor and antics of the vlogger, and the car is just a prop for the vlogger to do their schtick with.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #28
Viffermike
Colonel
Viffermike's Avatar
United_States
1714
Rep
2,936
Posts

Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Big D

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I guess it comes down to whether you're watching a vlog to harvest a bunch of information (which is the case for me) or you're looking to be entertained by the humor and antics of the vlogger, and the car is just a prop for the vlogger to do their schtick with.
This.

Look: I see the value of Doug's product. However, he does two things consistently that automatically make me ignore him:

- Edits viewer feedback unfairly to make himself and his product look better
- Misrepresents opinion as fact, or fails to verify details presented as fact.

As a humorist, he needs to learn to deal with both publicly and honestly. (Again: Jay Leno does both, but he's still quirky and funny.) Instead, he puts his schtick above all else, and can't seem to understand that self-deprecation and humility are frequently far more hilarious than self-censorship and id protection.

Guys like Doug cheapen auto journalism ... and, by extension, outlets like Jalopnik cheapen auto journalism.
__________________
--Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car.--
--Helmets are for closers.--
<<Current: "Blackened" '18 NBM Porsche 718 Cayman ... Gone (but not forgotten): "Blackened" MG '15 228i M Sport w/aFe filter/scoop, Hertz drivers, P3Cars multigauge, other goodies>>
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #29
iamwingman
Major
829
Rep
1,005
Posts

Drives: m4
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
This.

Look: I see the value of Doug's product. However, he does two things consistently that automatically make me ignore him:

- Edits viewer feedback unfairly to make himself and his product look better
- Misrepresents opinion as fact, or fails to verify details presented as fact.

As a humorist, he needs to learn to deal with both publicly and honestly. (Again: Jay Leno does both, but he's still quirky and funny.) Instead, he puts his schtick above all else, and can't seem to understand that self-deprecation and humility are frequently far more hilarious than self-censorship and id protection.


Guys like Doug cheapen auto journalism ... and, by extension, outlets like Jalopnik cheapen auto journalism.
Name:  F4CA6726-7C0A-4D2C-A185-BEBC14DCD9C8.jpeg
Views: 128
Size:  41.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #30
Viffermike
Colonel
Viffermike's Avatar
United_States
1714
Rep
2,936
Posts

Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Big D

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
Not when there are those out there who believe irresponsible, self-absorbed humorists are reliable sources for facts by which to form primary opinions.

If you want to rely on the modern-day equivalent of the court jester/village idiot to help form your belief system, be my guest.
__________________
--Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car.--
--Helmets are for closers.--
<<Current: "Blackened" '18 NBM Porsche 718 Cayman ... Gone (but not forgotten): "Blackened" MG '15 228i M Sport w/aFe filter/scoop, Hertz drivers, P3Cars multigauge, other goodies>>
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #31
pennsiveguy
Lieutenant
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
1156
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
This.

Look: I see the value of Doug's product. However, he does two things consistently that automatically make me ignore him:

- Edits viewer feedback unfairly to make himself and his product look better
- Misrepresents opinion as fact, or fails to verify details presented as fact.

As a humorist, he needs to learn to deal with both publicly and honestly. (Again: Jay Leno does both, but he's still quirky and funny.) Instead, he puts his schtick above all else, and can't seem to understand that self-deprecation and humility are frequently far more hilarious than self-censorship and id protection.

Guys like Doug cheapen auto journalism ... and, by extension, outlets like Jalopnik cheapen auto journalism.
We have to stop thinking of him as an automotive journalist and think of him as a comedian (though not a very funny one) who uses cars as props. Gallagher has his "Sledge-o-Matic," PeeWee Herman had a bike, Henny Youngman had a violin, and Doug has cars. Doug may not make the switch voluntarily, so we have to take the lead and make it for him.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #32
Darth One
drunk poster
Darth One's Avatar
United_States
3299
Rep
2,706
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
We have to stop thinking of him as an automotive journalist and think of him as a comedian (though not a very funny one) who uses cars as props. Gallagher has his "Sledge-o-Matic," PeeWee Herman had a bike, Henny Youngman had a violin, and Doug has cars. Doug may not make the switch voluntarily, so we have to take the lead and make it for him.
Lols. No value as a reviewer/journalist, more of a comedian but not funny. That’s high praise

Perhaps the most damning thing is that he can be all that and still be better to watch than most of all the fuccboi Youtubers in the “industry”
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #33
iamwingman
Major
829
Rep
1,005
Posts

Drives: m4
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Not when there are those out there who believe irresponsible, self-absorbed humorists are reliable sources for facts by which to form primary opinions.

If you want to rely on the modern-day equivalent of the court jester/village idiot to help form your belief system, be my guest.
You seem pretty butthurt about a guy you claim to ignore.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #34
Viffermike
Colonel
Viffermike's Avatar
United_States
1714
Rep
2,936
Posts

Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Big D

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
You seem pretty butthurt about a guy you claim to ignore.
As a former pro journalist and entertainment critic (including some off-and-on auto writing), I'm butthurt by what he represents -- falsely, and otherwise.
__________________
--Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car.--
--Helmets are for closers.--
<<Current: "Blackened" '18 NBM Porsche 718 Cayman ... Gone (but not forgotten): "Blackened" MG '15 228i M Sport w/aFe filter/scoop, Hertz drivers, P3Cars multigauge, other goodies>>
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #35
pennsiveguy
Lieutenant
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
1156
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
...
better to watch than most of all the fuccboi Youtubers in the “industry”
...which is a distinction roughly equivalent to having the biggest dick in the 3rd grade.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #36
dreamingat30fps
Major
United_States
739
Rep
1,175
Posts

Drives: 2014 C7, 2017 F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Saw this video the other day. Thought it was pretty interesting.

Can't believe theres people butthurt over this guy. I mean the dude points out weird buttons and icons and shit. Some people must just enjoy that butt pain. Bottom line, enough people seem to find some value in his videos to make it worth his while to keep making them.
Appreciate 2
dtla1444.00
Alfisti1014.50

      12-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #37
Savageenterprise
Lieutenant
United_States
638
Rep
545
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Out and about

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I like watching Matt Farrah from the smoking Tire. Guy does reviews on some awesome cars and gives his personal opinion on things he would/wouldn't get on the car if he was going to get buy one such as I'd get it with this suspension but not the ceramic brakes etc... in addition he's very thorough with most of the factual stuff and seems to take the time to do his homework.

He's pretty funny too...I was watching this one review and he was comparing prices on them. And he goes, "well this one can shoot fire out the tailpipes and we all know, cars that shoot fire are better than cars that don't shoot fire".
__________________
"You can't deposit excuses"

2018 340ix 6MT//BSM//Coral Red int//Alum Dark Carbon//19 in 704M double spoke Orbit Grey OEM wheels//CF side mirror caps//CF trunk lid spoiler//Dinan mid pipe res delete//BMS intake//Active Autowerke A8//Gloss Black M style grills//IND BSM Reflectors
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #38
pennsiveguy
Lieutenant
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
1156
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Saw this video the other day. Thought it was pretty interesting.

Can't believe theres people butthurt over this guy. I mean the dude points out weird buttons and icons and shit. Some people must just enjoy that butt pain. Bottom line, enough people seem to find some value in his videos to make it worth his while to keep making them.
You seem to spend a lot of time thinking about butts. It's not healthy. Seek help.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #39
pennsiveguy
Lieutenant
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
1156
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
I like watching Matt Farrah from the smoking Tire. Guy does reviews on some awesome cars and gives his personal opinion on things he would/wouldn't get on the car if he was going to get buy one such as I'd get it with this suspension but not the ceramic brakes etc... in addition he's very thorough with most of the factual stuff and seems to take the time to do his homework.

He's pretty funny too...I was watching this one review and he was comparing prices on them. And he goes, "well this one can shoot fire out the tailpipes and we all know, cars that shoot fire are better than cars that don't shoot fire".
Agree, Matt's also very good.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #40
dreamingat30fps
Major
United_States
739
Rep
1,175
Posts

Drives: 2014 C7, 2017 F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
You seem to spend a lot of time thinking about butts. It's not healthy. Seek help.
I like big butts and I can not lie
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #41
pennsiveguy
Lieutenant
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
1156
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I like big butts and I can not lie
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #42
larrylarry
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Baloney. He's monetized. He has access. He shoots multiple takes using high-quality video hardware. That means he's pro.

As a pro, it's his responsibility to get facts straight, do proper research, represent his topics, and be accountable to his subjects. Do all of that, then use it to find your niche and be humorous. (One guy who does all of this well: Jay Leno).

Instead, Doug regularly ignores key things, doesn't care about being accurate to the point of stating personal belief as fact, and serially deletes criticism or correction instead of using it to make his product better, both in his eyes and the eyes of others.

Dude's a yahoo. (And I don't mean the internet company.)
I think that is kind of his shtick. I don't know of Doug has a editor but there is a big difference in production value between Jay Leno's Garage and Doug's YouTube show.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
DeBoro doesn't even use language correctly or precisely despite being paid as a writer about cars, a technical subject (well, they are for some of us).

He did a review of the Rolls Royce Ghost, and described the door closing via buttons on the dash by stating that the doors closed "automatically." No, they close manually or electrically. The term automatic means something performs some action without human input. An "automatic transmission" shifts without a human telling it when to shift. Automatically-dimming high beams sense a car in front of your car and dim themselves without you having to do anything.

Do the doors on the Ghost close when you get in or out, without having to pull or push them closed or hit the button? No, they don't. Do they close when you put it in "Drive" or "Reverse" without some action on your part? Nope. Therefore, they're not automatic. They close manually, when you pull on them, or electrically when you push the button. Not automatically. Ever. DeMumble doesn't grasp the distinction, clearly.
Don't you have to put a automatic into drive or reverse? That in itself makes it a misnomer...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #43
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
1996
Rep
6,705
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Car looks like a Countach that's starting to melt.
So... A countach?

Jokes aside I agree.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST