R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #111
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
The location of the mic likely isn't giving it the real representation of the sound. In reality, I'm willing to bet if you do a fly-by video that you'll get a better representation of what the sound is like.

With the valve opened, I would imagine it would sound similar to EQ + OE muffler (which is essentially a slightly resonated straight-through design with the valves opened).

Regardless, I think the consensuses is that any EQ-style exhaust sounds better than the any non-EQ set-up so it's an improvement in by book. Your V2 sounds good, and tons better than anything else available on the market currently to purchase.

edited, I found a video on my google drive that I forgot I made. The camera/mix on this one was mounted outside on the rear windshield with lots and lots of foam to reduce wind buffet, but still hard to capture:

CLICK ME FOR VIDEO

Last edited by spool twice; 12-18-2019 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #112
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
Hey guys.....Spool, ntg, I've been gone for a little bit. I went to Asia after Thanksgiving so I didn't get any of my ideas done.....until today. I completed an equal length dual exit valved exhaust. I'm not sure about the sound yet. But I'll post videos and pics tomorrow. I couldn't stand the way the stock muffler sounded even after all my tweaking, so I got rid of it and fabricated a new rear section.
After a short drive I still don't think it sounds as good as my single exit exhaust, but I guess I'll know more after tomorrow.
it's all good

Year-end stuff has kept me from deleting my secondaries meow's on my end to try out the sound. Likely won't happen until after the New Years now given the rate of trying to do a work which always is a long drawn-out process

Last edited by spool twice; 12-18-2019 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #113
superbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
The location of the mic likely isn't giving it the real representation of the sound. In reality, I'm willing to bet if you do a fly-by video that you'll get a better representation of what the sound is like.

With the valve opened, I would imagine it would sound similar to EQ + OE muffler (which is essentially a slightly resonated straight-through design with the valves opened).

Regardless, I think the consensuses is that any EQ-style exhaust sounds better than the any non-EQ set-up so it's an improvement in by book. Your V2 sounds good, and tons better than anything else available on the market currently to purchase.

edited, I found a video on my google drive that I forgot I made. The camera/mix on this one was mounted outside on the rear windshield with lots and lots of foam to reduce wind buffet, but still hard to capture:

CLICK ME FOR VIDEO
Video not found
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #114
ttrank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 F97 X3M, 17 F80 M3, 23 GR86

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
Video not found
Worked for me. Maybe try again now.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #115
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I think it sounds pretty good, the smooth I6 sound comes through for sure.

But I'm not a fan of pops & bangs, I mapped them out on my M2comp with BM3.
Yeah I don't like all that stuff either. I won't touch my ECU so they have to stay unless I stay out of Sport/+ mode while driving.
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #116
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Yeah I don't like all that stuff either. I won't touch my ECU so they have to stay unless I stay out of Sport/+ mode while driving.
If you want to hear what real, untuned burbles sound like, check out my YouTube video earlier in the thread - in the comments section is a timestamp of what normal off throttle burbles sound like on my stock tune non-CP car Actually very pleasant and not annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #117
Envy ///M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Here is a video:

Tell me what you think. I'm not a big fan of the sound
I honestly like it and I'm even more impressed that you kept working valves. A great contribution indeed
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #118
superbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrank View Post
Worked for me. Maybe try again now.
It works for me in MS Edge, but not in Chrome
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #119
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
My results aren't promising. With the valves closed it sounds as anemic as stock. With the valves open it sounds better, but not great. It's certainly not music to my ears. I have to wait for some more free time tonight before uploading a video and a picture showing what I did. A Magnaflow #11386 x-pipe muffler was used to replace the oem unit.

edit:

I like this sound of this actually. Can you tell me what you did so that I can do it also?
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #120
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
Video not found
If it doesn't work, no worries as it's really not a good video. It doesn't capture the full sound, but does give you an idea of the higher pitched and smoother note an EQ-style exhaust delivers and an improvement over stock or mid-pipe only setups.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #121
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
I like this sound of this actually. Can you tell me what you did so that I can do it also?
I made it equal length and have the two exhaust sides 'seeing' each other behind the differential. I did the x pipe that way so that flow wouldn't be any more interrupted than necessary.
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #122
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
I'm going to pull the trigger and have mine removed and use those resonators in place, there is room for tonal improvements with mine since I still have all four cats intact currently, its about as good as it will get being legally compliant + having equal-length rear seciton + having an OE muffler. Listening to my exhaust and another members equal-length + OE muffler system and he has catless downpipes, his simply screams and howls up top even with this H-pipe design vs my chambered x-pipe.

ntg44, have you noticed a change in rasp after a few hundred miles? Mine no longer rasp, just the usual upshift "fart" if I catch it at a certain rpm range when the exhaust valves do their thing. I didn't think it would change, but I guess coating the interior exhaust pipes with soot after a few hundred miles did it's thing in a good way.
Hey spool, I found at a track day with my single exit exhaust that it would have a little rasp at the beginning of a session when going full throttle onto the track, but after going full throttle out of the first corner that there was none. Same thing with dyno pulls.
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #123
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey spool, I found at a track day with my single exit exhaust that it would have a little rasp at the beginning of a session when going full throttle onto the track, but after going full throttle out of the first corner that there was none. Same thing with dyno pulls.
Same, I actually find the exhaust changes altogether (less truck-ish in my case and more smooth i6 sound) once the exhaust is warmed up after one or two wide-open throttle runs.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #124
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
My 2JZ POS is the same, doesn't sound clean until you get it warmed up a bit.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #125
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
My 2JZ POS is the same, doesn't sound clean until you get it warmed up a bit.
But I bet it sounds glorious regardless

I had a HKS Ti w/SP F1 manifold and 6870 and it sounded good when cold, but not smooth either
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 2
Kilabyte3948.00
      12-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #126
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Question for you, does the latest setup have the secondary cats replaced with those resonators posted earlier? I'm really thinking about getting this done to my MPE

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:22 PM   #127
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Question for you, does the latest setup have the secondary cats replaced with those resonators posted earlier? I'm really thinking about getting this done to my MPE
The secondary cats are not replaced. I added vibrant resonators and some tiny no name resonators that I had in my garage.
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #128
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Haha, I realize your post is a little tongue in cheek, but I just came across David Patterson's newest video of the R32 Skyline GT-R (ThatDudeInBlue). Take a listen to the TT R32:

It really doesn't sound that different from the S55. I realize different configurations give it that awesome harmonic F&F sound, but the S55 is closer to the car in that video than most people would probably admit. The S55 just has some strange resonance in some areas that are amplified at the wrong time - otherwise the tone is pretty darn similar.
Not fair to compair really.

RB26DETT have no catted downpipes, one cat where the piping combines. On top of that, the two engines share nothing more then the number of turbos and cylinders.

I´ve included a pitcture of my old BNR32.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #129
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beMtroubleYou View Post
Not fair to compair really.

RB26DETT have no catted downpipes, one cat where the piping combines. On top of that, the two engines share nothing more then the number of turbos and cylinders.
Fairness is up for debate, but the car in that video to me sounds like a less raspy and farty version of the S55. But the tone is largely the same.

Comparing my V2 exhaust to what I assume is the Mine's pipe mod or single turbo - not going to pretend I know which one gives the tone I'm thinking of - my V2 is pretty damn close. The fundamentals are pretty much the same.

We'll know for sure once that DocRace build with equal length exhaust manifolds is complete, but so far, the results based on the assumptions we've been making have largely been lining up with the RB tones with the same philosophies applied.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #130
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Fairness is up for debate, but the car in that video to me sounds like a less raspy and farty version of the S55. But the tone is largely the same.

Comparing my V2 exhaust to what I assume is the Mine's pipe mod or single turbo - not going to pretend I know which one gives the tone I'm thinking of - my V2 is pretty damn close. The fundamentals are pretty much the same.

We'll know for sure once that DocRace build with equal length exhaust manifolds is complete, but so far, the results based on the assumptions we've been making have largely been lining up with the RB tones with the same philosophies applied.
The car in video is 2.6 litre with a aluminium intake without a waterintercooler, open filters and probably decatted and single entry ceramicballbearing turbos.

I mean. We have a twinentry on S55. Just there the sound gets split. Who knows about how egr is setup, rpm on turbines, housing size, exhaust valve lift.

I am just saying theres more to the note then last part of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #131
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
I think what he's trying to say is that the exhaust he has sounds similar, if not exactly the same. The concept we are trying to introduce into the S55 world (equal-length exhaust) is similar in concept to other twin turbo cars, albeit each will have their own unique sound characteristics overlaid with a classic straight 6 note.

In other words, he was trying to convey from another standpoint of how different the equal-length exhaust sounds (akin to an RB26 with equal-length downpipes) vs. the usual S55 boxy/buzzy un-inspiring exhaust note, just to give another person who hasn't heard it in person an idea of how it sounds like.
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3948.00
      12-22-2019, 01:44 AM   #132
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

Quote:
The secondary cats are not replaced. I added vibrant resonators and some tiny no name resonators that I had in my garage.
Replace secondary cats with resonators, it worth, without them you will hear a lot of raspy. I think the secondary cats are best position for resonators, in the back i think is too close to the end and the rasp will be lowered but still there.
I will try soon bigger resonator than magnaflow.
Appreciate 0