Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Camber plates vs SPLlower control arms

I read that most owners purchased camber plates to adjust camber. However I am curious as to whether some went with these control arms in place of camber plates? The price difference isn't as much, for what you would gain in adjustability.

Opinions?

https://www.splparts.com/products/bm...-m2-m3-m4.html
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 09:37 AM   #2
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80RN View Post
I read that most owners purchased camber plates to adjust camber. However I am curious as to whether some went with these control arms in place of camber plates? The price difference isn't as much, for what you would gain in adjustability.

Opinions?

You can only add a little bit of camber via the lower control arms because your top mount isn't a spherical. It's encapsulated in a rubber bushing with a small amount of deflection possible. The more you deviate from stock camber with SPL lcas, the more you're adding binding to the piston shaft from my understanding.
Appreciate 1
m3elmo49.50
      04-28-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:

Opinions?

I'll be trying this. Purchased the arms already. Just waiting for break in to finish... SPL says you can get like -4deg with their arms IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 10:06 AM   #4
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:

Opinions?

I'll be trying this. Purchased the arms already. Just waiting for break in to finish... SPL says you can get like -4deg with their arms IIRC.
Quote:
Quote:

Opinions?

Please do. I don't expect myself to need even more than -3. I just want something that can give me a good street alignment although I plan on occasional track days
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #5
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

I have the ground control camber plates and i don't see any downside to them...
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I have both you will not be able to go to -4 with out tension rods from spl once you start adding track width caster will start to move forward. Also depending on your coilover/oem spring strut setup you may need the sway bar endlinks.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #7
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebin View Post
I have both you will not be able to go to -4 with out tension rods from spl once you start adding track width caster will start to move forward. Also depending on your coilover/oem spring strut setup you may need the sway bar endlinks.
How much caster are you running?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Please do. I don't expect myself to need even more than -3. I just want something that can give me a good street alignment although I plan on occasional track days
So I got the SPL LCA on and car aligned this past week. At stock height you're not getting close to the -4deg SPL told me. I was only able to get about -2.3deg with the arms at the max safe extension per the SPL instructions. If you lower you should be able to achieve more, but I highly doubt you can get -4deg even lowered.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #9
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post
You can only add a little bit of camber via the lower control arms because your top mount isn't a spherical. It's encapsulated in a rubber bushing with a small amount of deflection possible. The more you deviate from stock camber with SPL lcas, the more you're adding binding to the piston shaft from my understanding.
I don't hink that isd a problem as caster angle is a bout 7 degrees on full lock.

Last edited by M 4 FUN; 07-01-2021 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: wrong post
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Quote:
So I got the SPL LCA on and car aligned this past week. At stock height you're not getting close to the -4deg SPL told me. I was only able to get about -2.3deg with the arms at the max safe extension per the SPL instructions. If you lower you should be able to achieve more, but I highly doubt you can get -4deg even lowered.
Camber plates are the ideal solution here. The LCA is great for fine tuning, but to get 3.5+ degrees of camber you need camber plates. I recommend Vorshlag, I didn't love the GC.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 10:35 PM   #11
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbs09 View Post
Camber plates are the ideal solution here. The LCA is great for fine tuning, but to get 3.5+ degrees of camber you need camber plates. I recommend Vorshlag, I didn't love the GC.
I agree. I'm not a fan of the GC design. I really don't get why people buy them over Vorshlag for this chassis (I already have a set of Vorshlag to put on this car later).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:27 PM   #12
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
I agree. I'm not a fan of the GC design. I really don't get why people buy them over Vorshlag for this chassis (I already have a set of Vorshlag to put on this car later).
Do you have any elaboration on what it is you do not like about GC plates? I have them and I don't know much about the differences compared to others.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:28 PM   #13
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbs09 View Post
Same question to you, would you mind explaining to someone who does not know too much about suspension parts, what it is about GC you didn't love?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 12:22 AM   #14
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post
Do you have any elaboration on what it is you do not like about GC plates? I have them and I don't know much about the differences compared to others.
You can see my comparison of them in this thread.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #15
WEPNM3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F80 M3

Just thought I would throw another option in for you from Australia. These are top plates that allow camber and caster adjustment as well as using to patented parts.

Looking at their website they have contact details in the USA/Canada as well as in Australia.

I am not affiliated with them in anyway, I just thought I would share what I found with you since im looking into suspension options at the moment.

https://k-mac-camber-kits.com/produc...ace-192716-2p/

BM3 Stage 1 -11.2 @126mph

BM3 Stage 2+ flex fuel 9.3 @132mph (Roll Racing)
Appreciate 0