EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-16-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
s0tawf02
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Replacing F80 CCBs with M2C Iron Rotors

Hi all,

I'd like to switch out my CCBs with Iron Rotors from the M2C as seen here (https://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/B...tors-BMW.html#). My question is, if I use these rotors and the M2C brake pads, do I need to replace the brake booster or update the coding?

Please do not link me to one of the other 5 discussions where this is argued. I would really like an answer from someone who has done this and can tell me "I tried to do this without changing out the brake booster and it was fine" or "did not work".

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:45 PM   #2
chrisjguzman
Corner Hunter
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB F80 ,04 Vw turbo R32,

I changed to iron rotors without changing the booster and it works fine for me .
2001 YZF R1
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:26 PM   #3
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Are your CCBs toast or still have life and maybe up for sale?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 06:17 AM   #4
s0tawf02
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
I'm not sure yet. I get the car delivered from out of state next week. I have 5 days to get it inspected and make a decision. I just wanted to know for future purposes or incase the ones on the car didn't have anymore life. I am also considering just doing the retrofit right away since people complain that their CCBs squeak all the time. Would you be interested in them if I put them up for sale assuming they still have some life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjguzman View Post
I changed to iron rotors without changing the booster and it works fine for me .
Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. I assume since you didn't change the booster you also didn't do any coding?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 04:22 PM   #5
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0tawf02 View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure yet. I get the car delivered from out of state next week. I have 5 days to get it inspected and make a decision. I just wanted to know for future purposes or incase the ones on the car didn't have anymore life. I am also considering just doing the retrofit right away since people complain that their CCBs squeak all the time. Would you be interested in them if I put them up for sale assuming they still have some life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjguzman View Post
Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. I assume since you didn't change the booster you also didn't do any coding?
Yes interested depending on age and condition. CCBs don't squeak much in my experience. Lighter un-sprung weight and no dust - nice improvements even on a daily driver. My understanding is the brake booster on the ccb is larger so no need to change out where as putting CCBs on a non-CCB car best to upgrade the booster.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

No real reason to code or change booster
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #7
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
The only thing that you have to worry about with CCBs is the longer stopping distances when driving under hard rain for a long time. I had an M4 with CCBs and now an M5 with CCBs and could not be happier with their performance. Drive the car for a while before you decide to make the change. With the M4, another option is Corvette disks.

Enjoy the M3! I really miss my M4...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #8
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
CCBs don't squeak much in my experience. Lighter un-sprung weight and no dust - nice improvements even on a daily driver.
Yeah, not a lot of squeaking. It's more of a strange grinding noise when they are cold.

They definitely dust though. It wouldn't be so bad on darker colored wheels but the orange 666Ms show it immediately. The stock CCB pads actually dust quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
The only thing that you have to worry about with CCBs is the longer stopping distances when driving under hard rain for a long time.
Have not had that experience at all. Bosch ABS constantly skims the pads/rotors when the vehicle is moving to keep them dry/warm. The worst braking is actually the first stop when it is cold out (for example on a winter morning just setting out). The servo/booster are designed to go to maximum assist to adjust for the cold pads/rotors, but that first stop is quite extended in terms of stopping distance.

The exit of my neighborhood is a steep downhill that ends in a stop sign on a busy 4 lane road. I have had a pretty big pucker or two coming down that hill and not braking early enough on cold mornings (also doesn't help that I'm on Cup 2s, which are hockey pucks when it's 30F out).
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #9
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
The only thing that you have to worry about with CCBs is the longer stopping distances when driving under hard rain for a long time. I had an M4 with CCBs and now an M5 with CCBs and could not be happier with their performance. Drive the car for a while before you decide to make the change. With the M4, another option is Corvette disks.

Enjoy the M3! I really miss my M4...
Not to go off topic but interesting we can use Corvette disks with our cars. Do we have to change the calipers as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #10
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamongkad View Post
Not to go off topic but interesting we can use Corvette disks with our cars. Do we have to change the calipers as well?
I don't think you can use as-manufactured Corvette discs. Maybe someone (RacingBrake perhaps) has made an adapter kit for the rotor rings, but the center bore and bolt pattern of a C6/C7 Vette does not fit a F8x.

The center bore is too small (70.3 vs 72.56) so the hats would need machining and the bolt pattern is off (5x120.65 vs. 5x120).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #11
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Yeah, not a lot of squeaking. It's more of a strange grinding noise when they are cold.

They definitely dust though. It wouldn't be so bad on darker colored wheels but the orange 666Ms show it immediately. The stock CCB pads actually dust quite a bit.
I drove the last couple weeks during our cold snap and it was -30 every day for two weeks. Didn't notice any grinding noise in the cold. to me they performed flawlessly and I love them. i wouldn't pay the $8k upcharge on a factory order but they came with the car so definitely a win there. As to dusting one of the CCB claim to fame is little to no dust and again after driving all summer I didn't have to clean my wheels once other than classic soap and pressure wash
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #12
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I drove the last couple weeks during our cold snap and it was -30 every day for two weeks. Didn't notice any grinding noise in the cold. to me they performed flawlessly and I love them. i wouldn't pay the $8k upcharge on a factory order but they came with the car so definitely a win there. As to dusting one of the CCB claim to fame is little to no dust and again after driving all summer I didn't have to clean my wheels once other than classic soap and pressure wash
Not cold in terms of ambient temp but noisy for the first couple of stops until they come up to temp.

Mine dust quite heavily, but I do a lot of aggressive mountain and track driving:

Clean

2 mountain drives later
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      02-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #13
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Interesting comments on the dust. On the 911 they are "dust free" or so I'm told.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #14
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I hammer the shit out of mine in the Blue ridge mountains and not brake dust to speak of....they dust up but it is just the road shit up in the mtns

Now I do remember a pucker moment at the TOD when leaving the restaurant after a 2hr lunch and hitting the pedal into the first tight corner and the car told me no...... shit!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #15
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
they dust up but it is just the road shit up in the mtns
It's definitely brake dust and not road grime.

The dust amounts with CCB are similar/slightly less than what you would get from a "ceramic" pad with iron rotors.

It's definitely less than most performance braking systems, but there is still dust (pads are still being worn down, thereby generating dust). The CCB pads are adherent pads, but still have some abrasive qualities, so will produce dust.

If you have silver/grey/black wheels, you are less likely to notice a small amount of dusting that the stock CCB pads provide, but with bright orange wheels, it's noticeable quite quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:39 AM   #16
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
but with bright orange wheels, it's noticeable quite quickly.
Oh yea i am sure....
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #17
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
It's definitely brake dust and not road grime.

The dust amounts with CCB are similar/slightly less than what you would get from a "ceramic" pad with iron rotors.

It's definitely less than most performance braking systems, but there is still dust (pads are still being worn down, thereby generating dust). The CCB pads are adherent pads, but still have some abrasive qualities, so will produce dust.

If you have silver/grey/black wheels, you are less likely to notice a small amount of dusting that the stock CCB pads provide, but with bright orange wheels, it's noticeable quite quickly.
ok yeah that makes sense - I am doing city driving 99% of the time and have the silver 666M wheels. I have zero noticeable dust after a year of driving as long as soap and spray the wheels consistently.
Appreciate 0