EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-07-2023, 03:29 AM   #1
Alchemis
Rep
Drives: Bmw f82

how to check low pressure coolant pump

hi guys,

i need some pointers here how to check if my low pressure coolant electric pump is functioning.

i tried using the bleed method (lights on, air con max hot, blower minimum, throttle padel to the metal) i hear some eeeeeeee sound coming from the engine bay... when i go over to the engine bay to check the small tank behind the intercooler, it doesn't have any movement. yes the pump stops around 5 to 10 secs after i lift up the throttle, follow up by a relay click sound.

normally if the coolant is cycling, i should see some movements in the tanks... or at least some mini waves or bubbles or water moving.. but it seems like it's dead still.

i do have an error pop up intermitently saying that electric coolant pump rpm too low. but the error just goes off after a couple of second. this happen when i'm stuck in a traffic and a hot day. that is why i'm trying to see if my coolant pump is functioning.

any ideas ?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:18 AM   #2
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Also needs to be in sport or sport plus. Sounds like the pump needs to be replaced. You should definitely see water circulating. You do have to wait a few minutes for it to spin up. The cycle takes about 10 mins to complete.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 07:05 PM   #3
Alchemis
Rep

It's either I can't get the bleed to turn on or I have a dead motor. But isn't a dead motor will throw a permanent error ? Even the rpm low it throws an error. But I don't have a constant permanent error as per the scanning.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:32 PM   #4
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

It takes awhile to start up. You will start to hear some clicking when it starts up and the pump whizzing.

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 09:36 AM   #5
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

it very clearly spins up after a few minutes and the coolant will visibly circulate. If it doesnt do that I would bet on replacing the pump. Went through this over the summer.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 01:57 AM   #6
Alchemis
Rep

I'm curious why if the pump fails, it did not throw a permanent error. While the error that it throws only lasted for 10 secs and only can be fetch if I were scanning the internal memory
Appreciate 0