Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

07-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #815
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
285/30/20 works like a champ. New tires and a better alignment = hooks in 2nd finally!

Warmer temps definitely help. Worth the upgrade just for the additional comfort alone.
I definitely think the look is different on 19s than it is on 20s. I agree the 20s look great. I’ve pretty muc settled on 265/19 and 285/19 PS4S since I want the extra .2” of tread width over the 295/35-19 PS4S. But I have not ruled out staying with PSS all around and going to 295 rear, which would give me .3” more than the PS4S 285s.
      07-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #816
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkim85 View Post
switched over from 305/30/19 MPSS to 285/30/20 MP4S (rears) and I can finally hook on 2nd without engaging TC at full throttle Sport+/S3. just like the previous post, I'm sure the higher temps helped, but I was never consistently able to full throttle it without engaging TC with the wider MPSS. I'm extremely happy with the switch.
Interesting. Another nudge toward the PS4S 285s. I wish they had a generic 295 spec. Damn you Mercedes!
      07-24-2018, 01:12 AM   #817
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
Interesting. Another nudge toward the PS4S 285s. I wish they had a generic 295 spec. Damn you Mercedes!
Actually, BMW has started supplying MPS4S OEM on the F90 M5.

However, as with the MPSS, after extensive testing by BMW Engineers, they decided the generic versions were not acceptable for BMWs and forced Michelin to change their compound and tread for BMW.

Just as the Star MPSS were not as good in wet conditions as the generics, the same with the Star MPS4S. The Star Versions of the MPS4S also do not get the fuel efficiency the generic versions do. The BMW Engineers changed the compound so that other areas of the ride benefited while wet grip and fuel efficiency was diminished.

I would also not they did not require a special version of the Continental SportContacts 6 and accepted the generics as satisfactory for BMWs.
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 07-24-2018 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #818
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Actually, BMW has started supplying MPS4S OEM on the F90 M5.

However, as with the MPSS, after extensive testing by BMW Engineers, they decided the generic versions were not acceptable for BMWs and forced Michelin to change their compound and tread for BMW.

Just as the Star MPSS were not as good in wet conditions as the generics, the same with the Star MPS4S. The Star Versions of the MPS4S also do not get the fuel efficiency the generic versions do. The BMW Engineers changed the compound so that other areas of the ride benefited while wet grip and fuel efficiency was diminished.

I would also not they did not require a special version of the Continental SportContacts 6 and accepted the generics as satisfactory for BMWs.
I am not sure how you come up with this conclusion.

I cannot comment on the M5's MPS4S, as I did not do an assessment on them. However for the F8X PSS the narrower tread width and the wider water evacuation channels of the BMW star spec PSS would indicate that BMW favored wet grip over dry grip for their specific tires. Less "rubber on the road" would theoretically also translate to better fuel efficiency.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      07-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #819
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am not sure how you come up with this conclusion.

I cannot comment on the M5's MPS4S, as I did not do an assessment on them. However for the F8X PSS the narrower tread width and the wider water evacuation channels of the BMW star spec PSS would indicate that BMW favored wet grip over dry grip for their specific tires. Less "rubber on the road" would theoretically also translate to better fuel efficiency.
I believe if you reread, we are saying the same thing about favoring dry conditions over wet.

BTW, it’s not my conclusion. It’s Michelin’s conclusion.

Examine the EU Tire Label of the MPSS and the MPS4S in same sizes, generic and Star Versions.

In both cases, the generic versions get an A Rating on Wet Conditions.

In both cases, the star versions get a B Rating on Wet Conditions.

So the BMW Star Version did sacrifice Wet Handling for Dry Handling, as both of us stated.

However, the Fuel Economy of the MPS4S Generic is a C while the Fuel Economy of the MPS4S Star Versions is an E (note D is not used on the EU Tire labels) in the same sizes.

Thus the MPS4S Star gets worse fuel economy than the generic.

It’s hard to find the MPSS EU TIre Labels online now as they were widely available on Tire Retailers sites when the tires were actually available. However, I do recall that someone DID post a pic of both MPSS labels in a Bimmerpost thread several years ago.

The MPS4S labels are easy to find now.

Also of interest, the prestigious Autobild 2018 Summer Tire tests downgraded the Wet Performance of the 19” MPS4S. Had it not been for that, the tires probably would have tied the SC6 for #1 in the test.

BMW changes in the Star Version makes this even more of an issue.
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 07-24-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #820
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I believe if you reread, we are saying the same thing about favoring dry conditions over wet.

BTW, it’s not my conclusion. It’s Michelin’s conclusion.

Examine the EU Tire Label of the MPSS and the MPS4S in same sizes, generic and Star Versions.

So the BMW Star Version did sacrifice Wet Handling for Dry Handling, as both of us stated.

However, the Fuel Economy of the MPS4S Generic is a C while the Fuel Economy of the MPS4S Star Versions is an E (note D is not used on the EU Tire labels) in the same sizes.

It’s hard to find the MPSS EU TIre Labels online now as they were widely available on Tire Retailers sites when the tires were actually available. However, I do recall that someone DID post a pic of both MPSS labels in a Bimmerpost thread several years ago.

Also of interest, the prestigious Autobild 2018 Summer Tire tests downgraded the Wet Performance of the 19” MPS4S. Had it not been for that, the tires probably would have tied the SC6 for #1 in the test.

I am stating the exact opposite.

BMW star PSS for the F8X favor wet over dry traction.

Interesting about the ratings you show. It might be the case for M5's PS4S, but IMO it is not for the M3/4's PSS.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #821
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

BTW, it's not my conclusion. It's Michelin's conclusion.

It's hard to find the MPSS EU TIre Labels online now as they were widely available on Tire Retailers sites when the tires were actually available. However, I do recall that someone DID post a pic of both MPSS labels in a Bimmerpost thread several years ago.

Also of interest, the prestigious Autobild 2018 Summer Tire tests downgraded the Wet Performance of the 19" MPS4S. Had it not been for that, the tires probably would have tied the SC6 for #1 in the test.

I am stating the exact opposite.

BMW star favors wet.
Not according to EU Tire Labels from Michelin.

I am not stating my opinion, but Michelin’s.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #822
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not according to EU Tire Labels from Michelin.

I am not stating my opinion, but Michelin’s.
Like I said, I cannot comment on the M5's PS4S, but it is unlikely the case for the M3/4's PSS.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #823
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like I said, I cannot comment on the M5's PS4S, but it is unlikely the case for the M3/4's PSS.
It is correct according to Michelin themselves as seen on EU Tire Label in M3/M4 OEM sizes.

Not my opinion.

Michelin’s.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 04:59 PM   #824
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It is correct according to Michelin themselves as seen on EU Tire Label in M3/M4 OEM sizes.

Not my opinion.

Michelin’s.
Thank you for posting the reference.

It however has me seriously doubting the validity of this rating. I have first hand experience with the both the generic and F8X specific PSS in 255-275/35R19 sizes. The BMW spec tires have a narrower tread width and significantly wider longitudinal water evacuation grooves than the generic ones. I fail to see how that could be worse in wet conditions.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #825
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not my opinion.

Michelin's.
Thank you for posting the reference.

It however has me seriously doubting the validity of this rating. I have first hand experience with the both the generic and F8X specific PSS in 255-275/35R19 sizes. The BMW spec tires have a narrower tread width and significantly wider longitudinal water evacuation grooves than the generic ones. I fail to see how that could be worse in wet conditions.
Again, why would Michelin state untrue information against their own product under legal consequences of the EU? Exaggerating one can understand. But tubing their own product?

As Google found out this week with a $5 Billion Dollar fine, the EU is not scared to levy big fines for violating the law, of which the EU Tire Label is.

I'm agnostic on the tires. I want the ones that are best no matter the brand. But I do look at the info such as this and it's hard to dismiss what a tire company legally has to disclose versus their PR/Marketing claims.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #826
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Again, why would Michelin state untrue information against their own product under legal consequences of the EU? Exaggerating one can understand. But tubing their own product?

As Google found out this week with a $5 Billion Dollar fine, the EU is not scared to levy big fines for violating the law, of which the EU Tire Label is.

I'm agnostic on the tires. I want the ones that are best no matter the brand. But I do look at the info such as this and it's hard to dismiss what a tire company legally has to disclose versus their PR/Marketing claims.
You might be putting too much emphasis on this rating. Note that it only relates to wet braking performance, which is far from representing overall wet performance.

Doing a quick spot check on the PS4S, it seems like the vast majority of OEM spec tires have an inferior B rating for the wet (all except one) while the vast majority of generic ones (all except 2) have the better A rating for the wet. That seems odd to me. Why would all OEM spec a worse wet tire ?

https://www.michelin.fr/pneus/michel...t-sport-4-s#sl

The answer likely lies in how the ratings are given/obtained.

Do yourself a favour, put a generic 275/35R19 side by side with a star spec 275/35R19 PSS and explain to me how the generic one will be better in the wet.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-24-2018 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #827
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You might be putting too much emphasis on this rating.

Doing a quick spot check on the PS4S, it seems like the vast majority of OEM spec tires have an inferior B rating for the wet (all except one) while the vast majority of generic ones (all except 2) have the better A rating for the wet. That seems odd to me. Why would all OEM spec a worse wet tire ?

https://www.michelin.fr/pneus/michel...t-sport-4-s#sl

The answer likely lies in how the ratings are given in the first place.

Do yourself a favour, put a generic 275/35R19 side by side with a star spec 275/35R19 PSS and explain to me how the generic one will be better in the wet.
Why would any Company downgrade their own product...especially if it was a lie?

Again, I believe that the Company is divulging what it is legally obligated to do.

I cannot help that you disagree with their multudes of Engineers and research.

But the ponderence of evidence is against you.

You’ll have to argue that with Michelin as that’s who’s you disagree with.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #828
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Why would any Company downgrade their own product...especially if it was a lie?

Again, I believe that the Company is divulging what it is legally obligated to do.

I cannot help that you disagree with their multudes of Engineers and research.

But the ponderence of evidence is against you.
OK. Believe what you want

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #829
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No offense to you as you have brought a wealth of information to bimmerpost and I have learned much from your posts, but any sane individual has to go Michelin and their facts when they state the issues with their own tires that you do not think exists.

Now if they stated they were great and you didn’t, many can grasp that. But we are talking the exact opposite situation where it makes no sense for Michelin to trash their own product unless legally obligated to divulge facts that are backed up by their own tests.

I am 100% sure Michelin has tested these tires 100x more than you and knows if the Star versions perform better, worse or the same in duplicate testing against the generics in controlled conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #830
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:
No offense to you as you have brought a wealth of information to bimmerpost and I have learned much from your posts, but any sane individual has to go Michelin and their facts when they state the issues with their own tires that you do not think exists.

Now if they stated they were great and you didn't, many can grasp that. But we are talking the exact opposite situation where it makes no sense for Michelin to trash their own product unless legally obligated to divulge facts that are backed up by their own tests.

I am 100% sure Michelin has tested these tires 100x more than you and knows if the Star versions perform better, worse or the same in duplicate testing against the generics in controlled conditions.
Geeze man let it go. Canaut already stated his opinion and why he thinks the michellin ratings may be misleading. He also filled you in on his firsthand experience with the tires. Why do you keep pressing and pressing for no reason?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #831
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Now if they stated they were great and you didn’t, many can grasp that. But we are talking the exact opposite situation where it makes no sense for Michelin to trash their own product unless legally obligated to divulge facts that are backed up by their own tests.

Look deeper in the EU regulation. That is likely where the explanation lies. For instance, it seems that different testing standards are used when tires are rated as part of a vehicle type certification and general labelling. Maybe other members that are well versed in EU regulation can chime in ( Boss330 ). What I am trying to say is that we cannot always take everything at face value when it goes against common sense.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-24-2018 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #832
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look deeper in the EU regulation. That is likely where the explanation lies. For instance, it seems that different testing standards are used when tires are rated as part of a vehicle type certification (UNECE R117.02 for OE specific tires) and general labelling (EU Reg.228/2011 for generic tires). Maybe other members that are well versed in EU regulation can chime in ( Boss330 ). What I am trying to say is that we cannot always take everything at face value when it goes against common sense.
Regulations are consistent and very clearly stated for both.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #833
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Regulations are consistent and very clearly stated for both.
You are not looking deeply enough...

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #834
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are not looking deeply enough...
I’ve clearly looked deeper than anyone else on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #835
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve clearly looked deeper than anyone else on this forum.
Like I said, believe what you want. I'm done.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #836
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like I said, believe what you want. I'm done.
Any rational person will believe Michelin inferior ratings of their own product than your opinion that thinks it’s great in the areas Michelin has proof they are inferior.

I’d throw in the towel if I were you as well because now instead of disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with Michelin and the EU.

That’s an insurmountable mountain for you to climb over.
Appreciate 0