BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-20-2022, 12:05 PM   #1
tftimbn
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Crankshaft looks beveled/oval?

Hey guys, doing my crankhub. Just got the lower cartridge removed and the first thing I see is the crankshaft looks completely unround and theres an obvious gap.

Is this normal or is something completely screwed??

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2022, 04:05 AM   #2
MadJonny
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Never seen something like that.
Do you have any problems to your engine? Low oil preassure/unstable?
After looking also at the second photo are you sure that is not oil that makes it look like that?

Here are some pictures of my cranckshaft.
It's a N55 cranckshaft from a N55B30O0 so from a M235i and its different from yours. (don't mind the two holes they are for the one piece crankhub)

Name:  IMG_20210804_200145.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  241.4 KB
Name:  IMG_20210804_200153.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  334.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 11:12 AM   #3
tftimbn
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJonny View Post

Never seen something like that.
Do you have any problems to your engine? Low oil preassure/unstable?
After looking also at the second photo are you sure that is not oil that makes it look like that?

Here are some pictures of my cranckshaft.
It's a N55 cranckshaft from a N55B30O0 so from a M235i and its different from yours. (don't mind the two holes they are for the one piece crankhub)

Attachment 2963042
Attachment 2963043
Nope! Everything has been running fine, but up until this point the car has been stock, so I can’t speak for oil pressure as of yet.

I didn’t wipe it to see if it was pooled up oil, but it seems to me it was a gap between the crank and bearing. Someone suggested to me maybe it was for better oiling, since it is the outer main bearing and there was no oil passage and they went with a slightly unround shape??

Definitely would like to see another S55 torn down at this stage.

I just looked back at this pic, post-drill, and now its starting to look like a puddle of oil and now I 110% am going to take the hub back out (hadnt torqued it yet) to take a look because I’m starting to feel like the biggest idiot in the world lol.

https://imgur.com/a/WNHuU0k
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2022, 03:04 PM   #4
MadJonny
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tftimbn View Post
Nope! Everything has been running fine, but up until this point the car has been stock, so I can’t speak for oil pressure as of yet.

I didn’t wipe it to see if it was pooled up oil, but it seems to me it was a gap between the crank and bearing. Someone suggested to me maybe it was for better oiling, since it is the outer main bearing and there was no oil passage and they went with a slightly unround shape??

Definitely would like to see another S55 torn down at this stage.

I just looked back at this pic, post-drill, and now its starting to look like a puddle of oil and now I 110% am going to take the hub back out (hadnt torqued it yet) to take a look because I’m starting to feel like the biggest idiot in the world lol.

View post on imgur.com

Yes looking at the second pictures it looks like oil. Try to clean it with a rag to absorb the oil and see.

Let me know
Appreciate 0