BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #12233
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
I imagine the range estimates like other EV's are based on driving behavior. Being that Ice has little miles on the car that range estimate may get better over time with some more time behind the wheel, although of course external factors (weather, ac, etc.) may effect that.
Therein lies the issue!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #12234
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8SEVEN View Post
Quote:
I imagine the range estimates like other EV's are based on driving behavior. Being that Ice has little miles on the car that range estimate may get better over time with some more time behind the wheel, although of course external factors (weather, ac, etc.) may effect that.
Therein lies the issue!
Lol, this is why the Taycan doesn't work for me. It gets good milage when driven by a grandma, but for the purpose that the Taycan serves, when having fun or backroading it suffers severely.
icegrill2080.50
      10-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #12235
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Therein lies the issue!
Yeah, driving it "the way" it should be driven drastically affects range. It's definitely a balance of weight of the batteries/space while keeping the car in a semi conventional layout. I'll be really interested to see the progress of the Ford lightning and semis when they start to come online.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 10:55 AM   #12236
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
The new daily has landed! Not a substitute for an F8x, but a really well thought out EV.

Excuse the classic tape wrap to get it home🥴
Nice car. My buddy just got his as well. Your cars were probably on the same ship.

His car has gotten a lot more attention than my GT350 at Cars & Coffee and the drag strip. People are intrigued.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
minn1914063.00
stein_325i25086.00
      10-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #12237
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yeah it's Chalk. I like Python, but only on an AeroKit car. Nothing else in the basic line-up of Porsche colors does it for me. I would love to go PTS, but my budget doesn't allow for it. I think this color is especially beautiful….
I think with a 'boring' non-colour like Chalk or the one above, a bold interior would go along well. I like the grey on red. I always think that white, black, or grey paint can be, for the lack of better word, 'justified' if the interior is anything but black. The 135i is blue on tan and it was one of the reasons for buying it ages ago.

IIRC, the deviated seat inserts they do is not an expensive option, something like chalk or red inserts in the middle of the seat would pop pretty nicely.
I'll play with the deviated centers and see if I like the look. Having just come from Palladium Silver or Silverstone interiors in my last four M cars, I was looking forward to low maintenance black.

Appreciate 2
minn1914063.00
swagon13549.50
      10-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #12238
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
The new daily has landed! Not a substitute for an F8x, but a really well thought out EV.

So how is it?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #12239
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Quote:

So how is it?
Fast and silent. Very pleasant interior. Waiting on some PPF but that's about all it needs.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25086.00
      10-01-2021, 02:09 PM   #12240
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Over a 100 mil views on this bad boy, by far, the most viewed BMW video on YT.
      10-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #12241
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

His G80, I believe, is just a UK-specific influencer lease deal for a couple years much like the car Shmee150 is running at the moment. Achilles is definitely paid by Michelin. Shmee150 is not worth even a mention because almost everything he does is an advert.
Whatever the truth of their compensation is (which is unknown but rumored), the fact remains they have a financial relationship with the manufacturers whose products they're "reviewing", and should at a minimum be disclosed on every review. Given the financial relationship with BMW, how is JA not also paid adverts like schmee? tbh, I've only watched 2 and they both felt like BMW-funded adverts.

I supposed overall paid-bias has always been a problem in the industry, but ...

seems like the auto industry is moving in a direction where consumers WANT paid cheerleaders. If one loves the new G8x, then people prefer reviews (and online forums) that are ONLY friendly, whether they're paid or not.

It's almost seems like more & more consumers are preferring cheerleader services vs honest reviews and open online discussions.
Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      10-01-2021, 04:19 PM   #12242
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

His G80, I believe, is just a UK-specific influencer lease deal for a couple years much like the car Shmee150 is running at the moment. Achilles is definitely paid by Michelin. Shmee150 is not worth even a mention because almost everything he does is an advert.
Whatever the truth of their compensation is (which is unknown but rumored), the fact remains they have a financial relationship with the manufacturers whose products they're "reviewing", and should at a minimum be disclosed on every review. Given the financial relationship with BMW, how is JA not also paid adverts like schmee? tbh, I've only watched 2 and they both felt like BMW-funded adverts.

seems like the auto industry is moving in a direction where consumers WANT paid cheerleaders. If one loves the new G8x, then people prefer reviews (and online forums) that are ONLY friendly, whether they're paid or not.

It's almost seems like more & more consumers are preferring cheerleader services vs honest reviews and open online discussions.
I think a lot of people consume every bit of crap and don't notice or care that the reviewer or the company the reviewer is working for have got ties with manufacturers - whatever those relationships might be.

Younger generation watch videos and traditional magazines do not have the reach that social media influencers possess, thus the latter group just have more clout - this further drives manufacturers towards creating relationships with influencers.

The CarWow lad whose vids get posted on Bimmerpost all the fucking time works for a leasing company so that's very shady to begin with. But people don't give a damn.

OEMs know exactly what bullshit each influencer needs to say in regard to their respective audience. I've found some secret files at my last job.

Should it be disclosed? Yeah. Matt Farah, if I recall, says what the manufacturer paid for under every video and he's one of the very few I trust not to lie or alter his opinions in favour of the brand, but he's a journo more than an influencer... and, tbf, I don't remember the last time I've read a car review. I don't watch many either.
      10-01-2021, 05:51 PM   #12243
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:

Like every other aspect of life in the current echo chamber society. If you stand in the way of the echo, you're cancelled.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18195.50
RugbyBro7604.50
      10-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #12244
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Like every other aspect of life in the current echo chamber society. If you stand in the way of the echo, you're cancelled.
Part of it seems a natural reaction to the absolute shit-ton of information constantly bombarding us, and the metric ass-load of arcane knowledge every single thing needs.

We can't possibly know it all so when it comes to doing/buying that cool new thing we find someone to explain it all; however that can easily transition from:

⬇️ Person who knows a lot about X, to
⬇️ Person I like who knows a lot about X, to
⬇️ Person I like who says a lot about X, to

Getting more dysfunctional ...
⬇️ Person I like who says things that make me feel good about X, to
⬇️ Person I like who, right or wrong, makes me feel validated, to
⬇️ Person who makes me feel validated, to
⬇️ Person who articulates my feelings better than I can.

Next thing you know, everyone is picking emotional support groups instead of following the facts to where they lead.

For the G8x, I don't care if Sedan_Clan or Ibiza legit disagree with me on the looks; I respect them for hearing others out, but going their own way.

If it wasn't for giving each other shit for our choices, I'm not sure I'd have a personality.

So they like a car that looks like a condom full of legos, so what?

They're probably great dancers whereas I'm all

Appreciate 2
MFNATIK3498.00
      10-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #12245
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:

Yeah. Look at this site for starters.

I'm sorry, I will not shut up about this for as long as I'm here. Moderators have a tough job that they don't get paid for and I have a lot of respect for that.

But y'all do two things that are beyond the pale: cancelling people for a negative opinion and ninja editing member's posts so they sound like they're saying something they're not. Absolutely unacceptable and I wish you'd stop doing it. Other than that I appreciate the job you do
Appreciate 3
RugbyBro7604.50
Jockey3457.00
      10-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #12246
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Canceling people for opinions on a product is insane. A product doesn't deserve respect. It has no feelings, and isn't protected under any laws to be shielded from criticism. It's literally insane to ban/cancel people, or edit opinions on a product. Its frankly insane to do the same if we were talking about a person or politician because it stands contrary to the values of freedom of expression, free speech or any other equivalent all non communist or muslim countries have. To apply rights to a product, item or object is demented. What happens if 100% of the members here feel negative towards a BMW model? What's the worst that can happen? I don't understand where that path leads, and what's so bad about it.

It's literally INSANE!

Imagine for a moment if food critics lost their jobs for saying something other than complimentary things about the food at restaurants they critique. Or movie critics were only allowed to give 5 stars about all movies or else there would be canceled. That's essentially bimmerpost.
Appreciate 1
Jockey3457.00
      10-01-2021, 08:18 PM   #12247
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
I think a lot of people consume every bit of crap and don't notice or care that the reviewer or the company the reviewer is working for have got ties with manufacturers - whatever those relationships might be.

Younger generation watch videos and traditional magazines do not have the reach that social media influencers possess, thus the latter group just have more clout - this further drives manufacturers towards creating relationships with influencers.

The CarWow lad whose vids get posted on Bimmerpost all the fucking time works for a leasing company so that's very shady to begin with. But people don't give a damn.

OEMs know exactly what bullshit each influencer needs to say in regard to their respective audience. I've found some secret files at my last job.

Should it be disclosed? Yeah. Matt Farah, if I recall, says what the manufacturer paid for under every video and he's one of the very few I trust not to lie or alter his opinions in favour of the brand, but he's a journo more than an influencer... and, tbf, I don't remember the last time I've read a car review. I don't watch many either.
Truth!! Farah / harris /Metcalfe and the other actual journalists paint the best automotive boob tube reviews b/c they’ve been doing it for years during the past (and present) PCOTY days.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #12248
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Imagine for a moment if food critics lost their jobs for saying something other than complimentary things about the food at restaurants they critique.
OMG... this guy would be out of a job! But his restaurant reviews are hilarious, and especially the bad ones!

https://www.theguardian.com/food/ser...on-restaurants
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 08:45 PM   #12249
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Canceling people for opinions on a product is insane. A product doesn't deserve respect. It has no feelings
Ehhhh, that's misstating what's happening ...

E.g., let's say you're invited to someone's backyard BBQ, you show up and start ranting about how shitty the food is; then you're asked to leave and complain because the food doesn't have feelings, so how can expressing opinions about it be wrong?

Ultimately this forum is the Mod's private backyard; they're inviting us all here and facilitating discussions on topics of mutual interest ... but they also have a right to prune out behavior - whether it's opinions, language, dickpics, etc - as they see fit. Private property deserves respect, especially when the owner is inviting others in to benefit from it. For free!

That said, changing user's posts is somewhat akin to telling everyone else at the BBQ what that guy's opinions are even when you know they're not.

Our recourse is to leave.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #12250
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Agree on your well stated points, and the leaving part. But in a way, we don't really have reasonable alternatives as this forum is well known and most new BMW owners make their way here. The real question is how much do you value your free speech on a pastime such as BMW cars? Does it matter?

Back to your BBQ analogy; a better example is that the food is being prepared in weird ways and we don't agree with the method. We then shouldn't EAT it and leave it at that. BUT by us complaining loudly about it, its like telling the newcomers that the food sucks. The hosts are annoyed and tell the mods to get the dissenters out.

I personally don't care enough to challenge them, because ultimately, any effort won't make a difference and there is nothing of value at stake here. It's sad to see what's going on with the banning of old members but it IS their backyard as you put it.

BMW's strategic direction, rightly or wrongly, will be weighed in the coming years, like it should be. (BUT you still cannot get me to agree with the design language).

Just my 2 cents worth of musings on this topic.

Quote:

E.g., let's say you're invited to someone's backyard BBQ, you show up and start ranting about how shitty the food is; then you're asked to leave and complain because the food doesn't have feelings, so how can expressing opinions about it be wrong?

Ultimately this forum is the Mod's private backyard; they're inviting us all here and facilitating discussions on topics of mutual interest ... but they also have a right to prune out behavior - whether it's opinions, language, dickpics, etc - as they see fit. Private property deserves respect, especially when the owner is inviting others in to benefit from it. For free!

That said, changing user's posts is somewhat akin to telling everyone else at the BBQ what that guy's opinions are even when you know they're not.

Appreciate 1
GrussGott18195.50
      10-01-2021, 10:18 PM   #12251
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
icegrill So, range at 90 is probably like 120-140 miles? I was interested in the polestar but that's my issue. It doesn't work for the 330 mile one-way trip to the mountains. Stopping more than once and/or for more than 7 minutes just isn't an option. Someone who makes an EV will eventually get this down.
EPA vs Real World

https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791...-test-results/
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 10:30 PM   #12252
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Canceling people for opinions on a product is insane. A product doesn't deserve respect. It has no feelings

Sorry there are a lot of flaws in your analogy.

1.) the mods didn't cook, make or have any impact or input what so ever into the making of the new generation of BMWs. They didn't cook that dinner.

2.) unless I'm mistaken (and perhaps I misread the forum rules and or it's purposes), but I understood this place as a forum to discuss cars, not just praise them.

3.) unlike the BBQ invite we are doing them a favour by participating and showing up.

I think a better food analogy is this. Someone invites us over to their restaurant to try some new food that a distributor is bringing to market because they a.) want feedback and b.) want to attract foodies.

We tell them the food tastes like army rations and we are happy to pay them for the food on the previous menu.

Rather than take the feedback they kick us out of the restaurant and only serve army rations moving forward.

Personally I'm a lot more valuable to this forum than this forum is to me. I have decades of BMW ownership experience. I've owned multiple BMWs and prime time own more moving forward. If they want to kick me out for having an opinion the no problem LOTS of people want business and feedback
Appreciate 1
figure99123.00
      10-02-2021, 01:07 AM   #12253
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

They can't cancel Motor Trend. Anybody read the 2021 November article pitting the G80 against the AR Giulia Quad. The editors were brutal on the looks and design of the G80. Alfa won the shootout by the way.
Appreciate 1
minn1914063.00
      10-02-2021, 01:09 AM   #12254
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Personally I'm a lot more valuable to this forum than this forum is to me.
Appreciate 1
minn1914063.00